Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building costs. Jan 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

4k per sqm is insane. got nowhere near those quotes in cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That would mean a 2K sq foot (185 sqM) house would cost 750k. Prices stabilisation IMO. There was a out by trades to I crease labour costs but there us significant resistance as people can not afford it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

In my opinion the price is still very high. Is access to the site a problem?

Out of curiosity is the existing house a detached house? Have you looked at a cost to demolish it completely and build a new house?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

It’s a semi-d but good side access. Plenty of space for a digger etc. We have managed to reduce the cost to around 2.25k/sqm after grants and without losing space, changing the layout or seriously compromising on finishes. It’s not a self build - we won’t be doing any of the work or project management ourselves so that includes everything. Obviously it’s still a huge amount of money but I don’t think it’s out of line with what other people are paying for A-rated, well designed houses in the city. Maybe I’m wrong. I’d certainly love to do it for less!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Just at planning stage here and thinking about doing the build as cheaply as possible and getting as much done as possible from savings before going for the mortgage, we have planning for a large garage and we might just build the house now and build the garage in let’s say 5 years from savings but would it be more cost effective to build the garage when we have builders on site etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭bfclancy2

get it done now, very useful for storing materials when building the house and can be used as a secure lock up, lots of people get it blocked, roofed and doors in first

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Do whatever suits yourself. If i were building a garage id be insulating it etc and heating it. Id be future proofing it for home office use. You never know what will happen in a five or ten years. Id also be putting in a wc.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭snl rory

Jumping in here , Have a good green field site. What is a cheaper build Bungalow , dormer or 2 story? Looking at 1,800 sq/ft to 2,000

simple square 2 storey will be cheapest. bunglaow will be most expensive, more roof, more foundation etc etc.

Ok thanks, might be tricky site is on a sea view. Might effect what I'm allowed build. What are the current prices in Munster for contractors per Sq meter , simple build?

• Advertisement

190-200e per sqft for me. Your site may well add costs though by the sounds of things.

Ok thanks , the site is flat and free draining with access so hopefully now a crazy amount more.

Bungalow will be cheapest. No scaffolding except for roof maybe and even then trades can put it up themselves. Yes you have extra foundations but blocklayer will be working off ground floor all the time. Carpenter will not have to come put in joists on first floor before you can continue with blocks. Plumber will have to come fir underfloorheating to plumber again before it's plastered and slabbeb

The difference in foundations is minimal a couple loads of concrete there will be no difference in the labour to put in foundations very little extra in digging or site lay out costs. Ya maybe 5-600 blocks extra to ve laidbon foundations but fairly straightforward

Slava Ukrainii

Thanks certainly a Bungalow would be more suited to my site , very exposed to the wind. Would 180-200e per sq foot be the average . Nothing fancy needed in the build etc. Budget would be 400K

If its a fairly straightforward build and you are going for simple finishes i wouks expect that for a 2K sq foot bunglow builders finish in the 350-380k mark definitely sub 400k.

My son is starting to build soon. He is going self build, its not a plain bungalow but not overly complicated either. His QA costings are 280k for a self build, his engineer is coming in at the same price for the bank.

Slava Ukrainii

That's great news, hopefully the costs don't increase anymore. I assume once the planning is approved approach different builders for quotes is it next step? How you're sons build goes well!

Ya you would be going looking at prices at that stage. However you could be sussing out your engineer while planning is in progress if it not the lad doing the house plan's that is doing the certification for you.

Watch the extra they will probably quote you two rows 18'' to floor level watch the extra if it's going beyond that. Make sure you are not modifying after construction drawing are in place no matter what the better half wants. Same with specifications for Kitchen, bathroom, on suites etc. That is where costs can go completely out of control.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

Thanks will stay in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭SodiumCooled

That was my plan, well I was always going to put in the foundation for the garage but not build it for now. Then there was delays midway though building the house and blocklayer asked would he do the garage or else he had to move to another job so I built it in the end. Very glad I did now, its been brilliant for storage as was roofed well ahead of the house and keeps stuff out of the way. Also means Ive been able to locate the attic tank and water pump in the garage rather than in the attic which has a number of advantages and is preferred by many plumbers these-days if feasible.

Cost wise definitely doing it for less as most trades with having the house the garage gets done for a bit extra (usually cash) - can't see lads coming to site and getting setup specifically for the garage for the same money many charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭ec18

any guesses on what the current costs would be in Dublin / North Kildare area for a new build? Site has no access issues or anything unusual about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Do not under any circumstances go ahead a plough your savings into a build with a view to getting a mortgage later. I have seen serveral times over the years peple go this route and not get approval for the a mortgage due to changes in rules / personal circumstances. Get the Mortgage and make a small drawdown say 10k and that locks in the mortgage agreement and then use your savings if you wish. Remember you only have to pay back on the mortgage amount drawn down so the payment on 10k would be nominal.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭SodiumCooled

The bank are unlikely to allow a 10k drawdown, minimum on mine is 20k. However they also had a stipulation that I could not make a drawdown until I had spent a certain amount of my own money. I had full approval etc and everything signed off but until I’d spent a (fairly significant sum) then no drawdown would be sanctioned.

Post edited by SodiumCooled on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Tileman

I built the house and put in the base for the garage when I built it. Mine was an all in cost with builder for house and he was looking for too much for the garage I felt. Got the names and numbers of all the tradesmen the builder used and put up the garage after. However the price of materials etc went up in the meantime so it probably cost me more. However as I tweaked the design slightly I got a nicer design but if you can afford it now put it up. It is so handy for when you’re building the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Typo

Have a bungalow and in tallaght, looking at getting something similar done. Did you get anywhere with quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭j14

We are actively looking at getting quotes now.

I sent our architect plans to a company and they asked for €800 + VAT for a basic quote using our architect plans or €6,000 + VAT for an in depth quote.

I would be looking for another company or builder to get a quote

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭j14

Now looking like 2026 before we start anything.

Advertisement