Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭briany

You could spend several days explaining to a certain proportion of the American electorate what their country gets from heading up NATO, but all they would hear is, "blah, blah, blah, globalism" That's in among the American populist appeal towards isolationism and focusing its economy on its citizens.

The appeal of Trump's rhetoric in this realm does not happen in a vacuum. The concept of 'bringing the boys back home' has been repeated since the mid 2000s after it became apparent that the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq seemed to be without end.

But Trump's vision (such as it is) on this wouldn't see America become isolationist at all. What I think we'd more likely see is a shift of alliances and potential targets. Something Ron DeSantis had floated in his campaign was the idea of sending troops to the southern border and even into Mexico itself to stem the flow of illegal migrants and fentanyl trafficking, and it's something that I think would have full-throated support from The Base if Trump were to make it part of his own platform.

It isn't too hard to see where all of this is trying to go. People are alarmed by migration. They're alarmed by the rising cost of living. They're greedily drinking conspiracy disinformation, and they're doing what they always do when they're scared - they look to people who say they can fix it, and those people use that panic to gain and consolidate power which the public hands them only too happily. A person is smart but people are dumb, and people are not looking to solve the hard questions which face us in the modern day, and those promising to fix them will do anything but. It's just a power grab, and if it's not pushed back upon, the world will become dominated by these 'strong men' who will do everything they can to stay fat while they size of the pie shrinks for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Need to remember that Article 5 was only ever triggered once, by the US in the wake of 9/11. I think people forget that. How much did it cost NATO countries who helped in Afghanistan, excluding the 850 non-US NATO soldiers killed!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What ever happened with the US Supreme Court case against Trump?

Surely some of the things he has said the last few days tells anyone that this Clown is not fit to lead a Scout club never mind the USA.

I just hope they see what a hole Trump is digging and ban him from being on the ballet forever.

Seriously if Americans pick him again as their President then I hope it a falls apart because they do not deserve to be the most powerful country in the World if he is picked again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They've heard arguments regarding the State cases of keeping him off the ballot, but they haven't made a ruling on it yet. Most signs, particularly their questioning, indicate they'll say the States can't keep him off the ballot without a ruling from Congress saying he violated the amendment regarding insurrection.

It's still possible other cases regarding whether Trump has full Presidential immunity make it to the Supreme Court. That could be a different kettle of fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭briany

@AMKC

What ever happened with the US Supreme Court case against Trump?

You'll need to be more specific...

But the latest supreme court argument is one Trump looks likely again as the whole panel appears to take a dim view of the idea that a state can unilaterally decide to strike a candidate from the ballot, but they don't seem to care much about the legal reasoning, more the broad consequences.

In fairness, SCOTUS has to be very careful in their rulings because it sets a legal precedent and established law. Laws which can't be overturned, and which even in their nomination hearings SCOTUS nominees have talked about established laws and how they can't be overturned.

Y'know, like abortion...

Ms

Any idea when they will give their rolling on it then?

What the USA falling apart? Don't get me wrong I would not like to see it either as it would not be good for the World either but if Trump is elected then Americans really are stupid and deserve it.

It's still possible other cases regarding whether Trump has full Presidential immunity make it to the Supreme Court. That could be a different kettle of fish.

Hopefully.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

This tweet is fake right? Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Trump's talk about NATO is not surprising .... it is all part of his deal with Putin ... Trump plans a regime change war with Iran ... which is currently more or less a Russian protectorate .... Russia gives up Iran to Trump's Republic of Gilead in return for Gilead giving up Ukraine/NATO expansion in the East ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Any other presidential candidate would have been politically dead five times over if they said half the stuff Trump has about veterans and PoWs.

As to the NATO comments, it's worth mentioning that yet again Trump shows completely zero nous or (political) strategy. Here was a week where a hatchet job report opened up Biden's supposed cognitive decline - and Trump can't even let it lie for a day or so before taking over the headlines with an outrageous comment that has sent ructions around the globe. It was debatably one of his worst comments yet in terms of fallout. He has basically said he'd fúck his allies over for Russia. Again, lol WTF? It'd kill other careers.

If there are any competent people left at Trump HQ, they'd surely be grinding their teeth and slamming the secret whiskey in their drawer, cos talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Here was a total freebie - albeit long before the campaign has started between Biden and Trump, or any "October Surprise" - yet Trump can't keep it together for a couple of weeks and let the Biden stuff simmer.

Post edited by pixelburp on

Ms

It's about Trump ain't so hopefully not fake then. Maybe some there in that party are starting to see sense.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

I presume you mean the Absolute Immunity case. Unlike the recent hearings on Colorado/14th Amendment, this will almost certainly be decisively against Trump. SCOTUS may well refuse to take it, leaving the exsting decision (which by all accounts is very well argued) stand. No way will Trump win this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It gives me hope to see members who don't comment on trump often coming on here after his latest NATO comment.

Hopefully it motivates others in the US similarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Oh dear, oh dear oh dear. For those wondering the Kansas City Chiefs are from Kansas city Missouri, not Kansas City Kansas.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭8mv

It's from a few years ago but no doubt he didn't learn from it...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thanks, lol, I wondered. Even if it were Kansas City, Kansas they would not be representing the entire state and who were they playing against anyway? What is he on? Whatever it is he's either taking not enough or too much.

They generally would be considered to be representing the state, as most teams in the NFL are the only team in their state (some states like California and New York have more than one team as unlike the Premier League where the team would be the town where it started, the NFL teams are franchises and even where they may have started in one state they've often moved the team to a different state).

They were playing and beat the San Francisco 49ers last night in the Superbowl.

google KC chiefs and Google loses its **** with Easter egg fireworks

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭8mv

tbh, I didn't know that myself until 10 or so years ago we had a young lady staying with us from KC who explained the whole Missouri thing to us...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Just imagine, for a moment, if Biden had made this mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭looksee

😁 OK, thanks. I don't know the first thing about American sport but I suppose I should do some basic investigation before having an opinion!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There are a good dozen incidents where Trump's words or actions that would have killed any other politician's careers. They used to talk about "Teflon Politicians" but stuff slides off Trump so rapidly they'd hit escape velocity in seconds.

And while we've kinda been here before with Trump's "gepolitics", I do think he has made a colossal mistake this time - and doesn't realise it (or care): it's one thing to be bullish and be all "America First" - pushing past your NATO allies for the photoshoot n' all - it's quite another to shoot your mouth off and say you'd gleefully throw your allies to the wolves out of a lust for extortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Closed ex parte hearing in the docs case today

We ain't gonna learn **** right now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

And people say that the Germans do not have a sense of humour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Irish friend of mine in USA for years - sent this Podcast link to me yesterday. It is with Chris hayes and Rachel Maddow. Pretty much a very topical history discussion around elements in USA in Pre WW2 1930s courting Anti-semitism & Facism.

Some of this I was aware of like Henry Fords alledged anti-semitism but also much more I was not aware of. Sometimes you have to look back in history to get some context now. Much mentioned in the podcast seems like rinse repeat now .. this time with Trump / GOP. OK its near 2 hours long but I found it very informative and worth the listen ( regardless of your opinion of Hayes and/or Maddow, if you have one. I didnt )

https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/7e190887-20cd-4af6-8288-23bde267ebc2/episodes/80f01795-7c1a-4156-a368-464147edd12a/why-is-this-happening-the-chris-hayes-podcast-withpod-live-with-chris-hayes-and-rachel-maddow

If that link doesnt work for you try any other podcast platform eg spotify ( where I listened to it ), just search for "Why Is This Happening? The Chris Hayes Podcast"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

Trump takes on Taylor Swift and all those millions of Swifties. What a genius!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement