Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Playing against Antrim and Westmeath in fairness. O'Dalaigh has never even played a championship game so he won't be challenging for a place.

English is right up there now and himself and O'Neill will see significant game time and could replace a struggling player.

The team will be well prepared for the very likely scenario that we lose in Ennis. Doing the maths I think they will be targeting the other 3 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭rjoe90

If he continues this form he will have every chance, they all have to make their debuts at some stage. English will be very close to start I would suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭NJSC1980

It’s as though some haven’t been paying attention during the Kiely era. Plenty of players will be given opportunities and minutes during the league but once the first championship match rolls around it reverts back to the tried and trusted.

Not a criticism - four in a row vindicates that approach 100%.

The team still pretty much picks itself;

Quaid; Finn, D.Morrissey, Nash; Byrnes, Hannon, Hayes; O’Donovan, O’Donoghue; Hegarty, Lynch, T.Morrissey; Gillane, Flanagan, Casey.

Next in line trusted to start;

M.Casey, Reidy, O’Neill, Mulcahy, R.English.

That is the core 20; at the moment the remainder of the panel are fighting over the last 6 spaces on the bench.

That core 20 includes 11 players who have played in the forward positions in the Kiely era and on top of that Boylan and O’Reilly have the trust of management and have gotten their fair share of appearances in the last few years. Barry Murphy seems to have worked his way into the picture too but may be seen more as a midfield option.

That’s what O’Dálaigh, O’Brien and English have to overcome. Adam English has the major advantage of versatility and could be picked as far back as midfield. The other two seem to be seen as strictly full forward line options and therefore they will have a more difficult time breaking through.

Players as talented as Ronan Lynch, Andrew La Touche Cosgrave and Barry O’Connell failed to make it on this panel; anyone who remembers the 2015 under 21 championship will recall O’Connell forming a brilliant half back line partnership with Byrnes and Hegarty.

I’m definitely not saying O’Brien, O’Dálaigh & English won’t make it but it’s probably the worst time in the history of Limerick hurling to be a young player trying to break onto this team. Players who once would have gone straight in as automatic starters at 19/20 years old are going to have to be patient. A player with the talent of Cathal O’Neill, who is definitely good enough to start, is still not a guaranteed starter. Patience is key with these lads.

Final point; changing under 21 to under 20 was a big mistake and only hurts players like these. Under 20 graduates don’t seem as ready as under 21 graduates were up to 2018. In the previous decade a tonne of players went straight into regular senior action from the Clare, Waterford and Limerick teams in particular. 2019 onwards graduates seem much slower to progress by comparison.

Agree with you 100% on what you’ve said. However I don’t recall a fringe player performing like those 3 have? English is a real talent, O’Brien with 1-5 against Antrim and O’Dalaigh with 1-11 in two games? Surely that will put pressure on kiely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

100% O Dalaigh will get a start in the Championship if he continues this form. I can see O Neill starting ahead of Tom Morrissey aswell. That's no criticism of Tom , he's some goer. There's no doubt many places are locked down but some players 'age ' overnight . Byrnes had a shocking Limerick county final and was terrible at the weekend. Mark my words ,chalk it down... O Dalaigh , O Neill and maybe Coughlan to start Championship this year. Alot of posters on here think what's worked the last 4 years will work again. It might not

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

Ah I think your way off in regards to Byrnes, gave one of the best all Ireland final displays ever last year in the second half. He is a guaranteed starter and one of our most important players. I don’t think English/ O’Dalaigh or O’Brien will start but they will be close and definitely be very useful options off the bench.

Ah I agree. Byrnes will start and he's fantastic. What an All Ireland final he's had for the last few years. My point is that some players lose the hunger or the pace and just age very quickly and others like Tony Brown of Waterford go on playing brilliant right up to and beyond the mid 30s. I'm not retiring anyone but you do need fresh blood infused into even the most successfull teams.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Antrim and Westmeath. Is that the yardstick we’re using now? O’Dálaigh scored in all league games bar the final last year. Goal against Clare, 5 points against Westmeath up in Mullingar.

He didn’t make a single championship appearance. Not even on the 26 man panel a few times. All the players who were ahead of him in the pecking order last year are still there.

That’s not at all a reflection on him but a reflection on the overall strength of the panel; particularly in the forward positions.

My point was if any of the three of them continue their form they will be in the mix. Something kiely has alluded to.

Sure what else is Kiely going to say? He can’t say they have no chance or that it will be difficult to give them opportunities.

When push comes to shove Kiely will go with the tried and trusted.

• Advertisement

From what I’ve heard he is looking to the future and trying to unearth players which can be seen by all the players he has called in and the chances he has given in the league. Of course he will revert to the usuals and it will be the same team but maybe 1 or 2 changes. Could definitely see English or o Neill start.

I know for a fact you said this a year ago, that he would definitely start. He didn’t play a single game.

Would be shocked if none of English o Brien or O’Dalaigh got championship minutes this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭billyhead

Even Hayes might not be available depending on a certain outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Hayes will have the right to appeal and it's kicked down the road past the summer.

Kiely the shrewd individual that he is batted strongly for him as a character witness.

Hayes's dedication to the cause this summer will now be unwavering.

• Both Andrew laTouche and Barry O'Connell were on 2018 panel

And both were subsequently cut and never made a championship appearance. Point being, we have players as good as they were who ultimately didn’t make it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Man with zero previous convictions who has not come to gardai attention in the 4+ years since who was convicted on the lesser of the two charges. This has suspended sentence written all over it. He’ll be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭High bike

100% correct when u see what's walking out of court every day there's no chance he's doing time.

Depends on the judge almost entirely.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

That applies to every court case,if he gets time is because its so high profile and I doubt very much he will

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭letsseehere14

The plead was not guilty. This will be taken into account.

Might get 6 months, final 3 suspended but he could appeal . Then if he got it upheld on appeal the championship would be done anyway and shur September to November in Limerick prison would be a piece of cake.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Who gives a sht. We will find out when we find out and until then none of us have a clue really.

Sound gesture with the 95 acres in Patrickswell for a centre of excellence.

Just saw that should be some setup in time.Im sure all our neighbours will have nothing but good things to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Iecrawfc

So that will be 3 centres of excellence in the county, Rathkeale, St Endas and P'swell, I wonder if Rathkeale becomes more of the Football centre and here becomes the hurling with St Endas as the underage centre, both places are nearer the respective football and hurling areas in the county too.

• Advertisement

Yeah I would imagine rathkeale would be given to the football.

Advertisement