Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

I believe he referred to her indirectly some way in his writings

I can't recall the details right now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

If it was clear that he had a preoccupation with her then it would change everything.

Phone calls, leaving gifts, constantly talking about her in the pub etc.

A motive is now on the table and Bailey would have a case to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Shameful example of the rot that has infected public discourse.

You have nothing to offer in response to reasoned argument so you smear those you disagree by using the conspiracy tactics which you deplore in others. Now put yourself in that Venn diagram!

Mercifully, we live in a country where someone accused of murder is not obliged to prove anything, least of all prove a negative- that he never had any interaction whatever with the victim.

In fact, and this is where the Gardai came a cropper, it is up to the prosecution to prove all elements of the crime beyond reasonable doubt. The Gardai fixated on Bailey and went far beyond normal policing to get him. Here’s a measure of their desperation - Marie Farrell was their “star witness” . Imagine if Ian Bailey had been imprisoned for life on her evidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Have you informed the gardai that you know the murder happened at 3am?

That is a vital piece of information that I'd say they would be delighted to have.

Professor John Harbison the state pathologist wasn't able to give such a precise time and he was the one that conducted the post mortem.

You should contact The Cold Case Review Team and let them know.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

I agree completely.

People seem to be content to convict someone based entirely on a hunch that “he seems like just the type.”

And like you say if we are comfortable with a justice system that affords this then we must live with the reality that a lot of people would be serving long sentences for crimes they didn’t commit.

That’s some Dermot Dwyer level profiling right there.

Exactly, so this actually becomes the strongest evidence that Bailey had no relationship whatever with Sophie and particularly not through his poetry.

If Bailey had any sort of relationship with the glamourous wife of a French movie producer, he would have made sure everyone west of Ballydehob heard about it. Bailey had tried to interest his neighbour John Montague in his poetry but he never mentioned Sophie to him. It is simply inconceivable that Bailey would not have used Sophie as his trump card with a Francophile like Montague who could have made Bailey’s dream come true - getting his poetry published.

Once you accept that Bailey did not have any relationship with Sophie, you must accept that he is not the murderer.

The tragedy is that her family will never have closure, despite the French court verdict. If you wonder how that verdict could happen, Anatomy of a Fall is an eye-opener on the French criminal justice system. If it wins an Oscar, it will be as an exposé of a bizarre legal process.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,193 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah someone shoud tell the Guards that Harbison for example didnt rule out an early morning murder cos they dont seem to have registered that. I will leave you to take your own advice therefore.

What time do the Guards say the murder happened in their scenario for Bailey being the murderer?

You well know the scenario they have laid out for Bailey has him there at 3am or thereabouts ie not before midnight, not at daybreak. In the middle of the night.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The lights not being on in the house is very suggestive, though, surely?

If anyone is woken in the dead of night by an unexpected caller, the first thing they would do is put on some lights!

If they weren't lit, that does suggest next morning. And two days after Winter Solstice, the sunrise must be around 8.30 ish, I think.

A car at the gate and an argument....it IS possible. Were any unknown cars seen speeding out of the area?

Some say Yes...

• Advertisement

Conveniently Ignores the 4 witnesses as most pro bailey theories do

They were unconvincing or made the allegations years later . There's always some explanation to ignore the obvious suspect

So Bailey is suspect because he’s snooping around and he’s suspect because he’s not asking questions. He’s damned either way.

The DPP disposed of the claims that Bailey had any knowledge of the case that he could not have acquired as a journalist.

I’ll come back to this thread next Christmas - her 28th. anniversary - just to see the pot being stirred.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

And two days after Winter Solstice, the sunrise must be around 8.30 ish, I think.

Technically yes, but in reality you often need lights on indoors after 9am that time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

People seem to be content to convict someone based entirely on a hunch that “he seems like just the type.”

Nobody is trying to convict anyone here.

Everyone knows that there was never enough evidence for a trial, any right minded person would see the French trial as a sham.

But what people like myself are doing is looking at everything and coming to the conclusion that Bailey was a good, if not great, candidate to be the prime suspect.

When exactly did the gardai settle at 3am? I assumed it was after the sighting from their star witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Its not only the lights being off.

Her stomach contents were indicative of her having eaten some breakfast.

There was an uncovered cut loaf on the table with a breadknife.

The pathology report showed no alcohol in her blood or, even more importantly in her urine.

The first responders Garda and doctor reported the appearance of fresh blood on her face and neck.

Lastly, would she have walked own to the gate in darkness?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

All good points!

It is a "Cold Case Review" - which I would regard as coming back to the case to see it with fresh eyes. Out go the assumptions, guesses, dead ends.

Scrutinise every scrap of actual evidence as if seeing it for the first time.

Might all point in a new direction from the old, cold case.

That plus all the talk of Bailey being violent when drunk doesnt really work for 8am. Fits more with a post pub drinking timeline.

The scenario for Bailey at that hour is speculative and implausible. That counts double for an early morning timing.

Have you any evidence that the lack of alcohol points to morning . Prof. John Harbison didn't conclude same ?

Orangehyme postulated the same "important" theory that alcohol is detectable for "up to" 12 hours

I pointed out that presumably this is the upper limit for large quantity of alcohol imbibed

I'm making that assumption unless someone knows different

Presumably... why?

I saw no reference in the available information showing Harbison factoring in when Sophie is last reported to have consumed alcohol. He may have just reported what he found - no alcohol in system.

• Advertisement

You think the lack of alcohol was overlooked by Harbison and Gardai as related to time of death and a couple of random internet posters have discovered new important information by googling it ?

You tell me. Where in the information in the public domain do you see anything from Harbison indicating factoring in the reports of Sophie having a glass of wine at the Ungerers?

The alcohol angle was mentioned by the retired forensic officed in the Independent article wasnt it?

It was literally mentioned on the thread.

So why are you misrepresenting this as something invented by random internet posters? Do you as a random internet poster know more than a retired forensics officer with 28 years experience?

Well? Do you?

He's damned is right Caquas.

An exquisite description.

Look forward to your grand entrance to the thread again next Christmas, good entertainment.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭csirl

Harbisons job was scientific - to report factual evidence he uncovered via his analysis. She had no alcohol in her system and the window of time for the death was between X and Y etc. Its up to the guards to apply these facts to the evidence and witness statements they compile.

Physical/scientific evidence is interesting. If a fact is established, it is not trumped by any number of witness statements.

Some posters on this thread have said that a nearby family claimed SDTP drank wine with them the evening before. Either this family are mistaken or the murder took place in the morning.

Yes she mentions the lack of alcohol

After factoring in above and lights off, and food etc.

She merely postulates that there is another "possibility" re time of death

Nothing conclusive at all so it's far from solid evidence it would appear.

It's not a scientific fact at all that the lack of alcohol determines TOD as morning

The forensic scientist merely said it's one of the factors making an alternative TOD a possibility

The forensic scientist is retired 12 years and is giving interviews to anyone and everyone lately, she's writing a book about the case.

That's what I was thinking

More money in putting forward a different viewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

6 different individuals have alleged Sophie was in contact with Bailey, or an unnamed English journalist living in the area wanted to talk to her.

3 people in France, 3 in Ireland.

Unfortunately as soon as you try to analyse and look for similarities in the conversations a certain poster jumps in and starts immaturely attacking those who made the allegations. And the discussion then gets dragged into the gutter.

• Advertisement

Advertisement