Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Waterford have too much talent to be mircro-managed and way too many gifted forwards to play that game plan. The spirit and culture of the Waterford game has always been to attack the game and try the unexpected - that's when Waterford are at their best. It's in their DNA as hurlers. From Paul Flynn to Mullane to Aussie to the emerging Fitzgeralds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

The jacket that Davy was wearing with that washed out crest is embarrassing. Can’t disagree with anything you said if things aren’t right off the field it can drag the whole thing down and god knows we have it tough enough without any distractions .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Defense was pretty solid. Didn't give up goal chances and 20 points is not a bad score to concede. The tactics are once again the issue. Multiple times overplaying it and giving balls to lads who were being well marked and then getting turned over. Our forwards once again got almost no service, it's like we are trying to walk the ball up the field. Sadly much the same issues as last year and it doesn't look like Davy is willing or capable of changing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

The only possible positive I could take is we're putting all focus on the championship. Because that was utter rubbish.

I'm really really surprised that Paddy Leavy as a sweeper is being seen as a positive. He's not a runner, a ball striker nor a reader of the game. I honestly can't think of a player less suited to the role. He looked very nervous in it and not helped by his manager roaring at him. Meanwhile we lost huge amounts of breaking ball around the middle where Paddy would add a lot. Also when we had to turn back in a challenge, Paddy is a great man to make himself available and use the ball with a short intelligent shovel pass. For me that's a brainless use of a good player. Especially when Tom Barron and Mark Fitzgerald were both there and could easily play the role.

The other huge negative for me was the set up. We have absolutely no idea how to progress up the pitch. A number of times it looked to me like players hesitated because they second guessed what they should do as it went against their instincts. Sean Walsh had a couple of moments before he understandably tired due to his midweek game but otherwise did any forward play well? And even though the pitch was much worse than it should have been, the Clare forwards were able to make an impact. Davy can point to missing 13 players but with that turgid shape it doesn't matter who plays. He's killing Kiely in particular.

I suggested beforehand that playing the Fitzgibbon players was madness. Pádraig Fitzgerald in particular was dead after a very good performance on Wednesday.

Finally to put the icing on the cake that injury to Stephen Bennett didn't look good.

It's not even that it was a bad performance, we've had plenty of those. It's the utter lack of freedom and adventure that's most concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Dispiriting performance to say the least. Aussie must be the happiest man in Waterford, not being part of that set up again this year.

As mentioned already, flogging Fitzgibbon lads is nonsensical. Padraig Fitzgerald had a great colleges game midweek but was lifeless yesterday. As regards Stephen, surely the management team should have been doing everything to ease him into the season, even if the player himself was desperate to play.

Patrick Curran stroke some nice points but why isn't he in the full forward line. Maybe part of Davy's masterplan is to have Patrick and Dessie in midfield, come championship time ! BTW, is Dessie injured or what.

For the rest of the League ..... Cork are going to beat us. Wexford are no great shakes but will fancy their chances at home ; the final game might depend on whether Kilkenny need to win that one or not. The poster who was going to put money on Waterford finishing last in the round robin might find that the bookies closed their book on that one a long time ago.

Post edited by JD. 60 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

when your failing to pick the ball up first time and time again or getting brushed off it as easy as we were yesterday when trying to pick it up it’s time to go back to basics, this has been a feature of our underage teams of the past few years aswell, basic errors, first touch off and critically not getting the ball up off the ground quick enough

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

What was the attendance at the match yesterday? I expected to see a packed stadium but looking at it on television that certainly wasn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dk1982

There's going to be well over 4000 in the RSC on Friday night. Waterford FC a far better run and more professional set up from top to bottom than Waterford GAA at the moment which seems crazy. Even a fantastic club shop across from the RSC now. Seems to be just a bad vibe round the intercounty sides at the moment.

• Advertisement

Bit of a push to say fantastic it’s a good feature but it’s very lowly stocked shop including the recent online launch , the Waterford gaa merchandise quality is very underwhelming . Hopefully things approve with new sponsor etc at end of the day if the team gets some success demand goes up and obviously opposite is true too.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

Watched it back there knowing the result and the comments on the board. First half I thought was better than the second even though the TG4 graphic showed we only won 2/13 of our own long puckouts. And because we had pushed our bodies up, Clare could counter attack into space and create scores that bit easier. Despite this we looked good at the back and manufactued the goal well.

Second Half was a systems failure and IMO fully on the management. We had no balance to how we were set up and couldn't take advantage of the wind to create space. Consistently no option to go long into full forward line and nobody consistenly drifting out to take scores from deep to stretch the Clare defence. In third quarter; we still couldn't stop Clare from winning their own ball in our half; despite the wind advantage.

Overall Clare scored 14/20 from play, Waterford scored 9 out of 16 from play and that stat I feel shows the gulf. An element of this is the players at our disposal. Clare look like modern hurlers, a mix of tall 6ft4 lean athletes along with nimble/agile hurlers like Galvin. Waterford still have too many lads who don't look like an intercounty hurler i.e. under 6 foot and have bulked up to take the hits but can't cover the ground as a result. Clare had plenty forwards who could make the ball stick, Outside of Sean Ryan in first half; Waterford had none. Clare's striking from numbers 1-7 was far superior in their ability to hit long ball the length of the field. O'Brien in goals for example gets intercepted far too frequently by the opposition. Some Waterford players also seem to be lacking that bit of nous in contact around the middle. Looking to run straight into a man or passing without creating space for the next man. The execution of the basics also seemed a bit off.

Clare are also better coached. The idea of pushing up on puckouts is to overload the side where the ball will be landing and have superior numbers on the breaking ball. Repeatedly Clare had superior numbers of bodies around Waterford puckouts. Clare on the other hand created numerous advantageous offensive puck outs without offensive coordinator Fitzy on the headphones.

We'll have to wait to see when we have our full deck to play to get fully despondent. Davy Fitz as a manager doesn't help unbiased analysis as he's not very likeable and spins the media the wrong way for me. But my biggest fear is that Davy isn't the problem and we just don't have the cattle. That years of poor performances at minor and U20 are catching up. Modern sports is won by money and structures; you only have to look at Limerick Hurling, Dublin Football and Leinster rugby and the success they have had. We have performed poorer in this aspect than our competitors in the last 10 years and the fear is we are in the same conundrum as the FAI where we will have 10 years of sub par performances untill our coaching/structures catches up. I'm not sure if we're on Trappatoni or Martin O'Neill but it could be a long stretch as a Waterford fan.

I don't think you can include the Limerick hurlers in that kind of category of professionalism or put their winning down to money and structures. That's something the KK lads like to throw around because they're completely blind to the football side of things. If it was simply down to Limerick's structures and budget prowess why haven't their footballers lit the world on fire? They get the exact same. They have a bunch of excellent hurlers from two to three underage teams that have blended nicely and their body types and skillset complement each other really well - alongside good management and coaching. But it's the blend of type of player that really stands out. Particularly, 1-9. It's their best ever team.

I remember Cahill saying, when he was manager of Waterford, after a sore loss 'We just ran out of bodies.' But I do think Waterford hurling is full of talent at the moment - some really talented players there and coming. But the likes of Aussie opting out doesn't help - criminal waste of talent and he really should've been looked after. Take two leagues off - last year and this. Anything other than not hurl championship. He's worth the leeway. And in my opinion, Davy was the wrong option. For me, the Ballygunner lads should get the job before Ken and co too.

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭914

A home game v Clare in the league with Davy at the helm in February and it on telly, it was never going to be packed.

If we are in the mix for the Wexford and Kilkenny games you would expect about 7k or 8k in attendance

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Why didn't we go for goal for that free at the end .

Apparently the ref told Shane there was a minute left to go ; by the time the point was taken and the keeper delayed the puck out, about 20 seconds was gone .... the ref played another 10 seconds at most. I blame the ref but I thought Shane should have gone for goal regardless !

🎙️ Coming up on Déise Today thanks to EirGrid 

🏟️ Kevin Ryan, Programme Manager for Waterford GAA's strategic plan chats about the naming rights of Walsh Park and other GAA matters.

if anybody gets to listen ye might report back .

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭parish girl

This thread is really becoming tiresome with the constant criticism of Management and Co Board. I get it....some people dont like Davy, and thats ok, but do we really need it all the time. He's the manager , so accept it and get on with supporting the team. I often think some of the posters on here would prefer us to loose and have another stick to beat him with. Can we not accept everyone is doing their best instead of constant whining and moaning when its not going to change anything. Im sure the county board are not coming on here for advice. And if you really want to be constructive there are ways to do that by offering your services and changing from within. Rant over

Now to the game on Sunday. Think it had a bit of everything....Good, bad and indifferent. obviously 2nd half first 20 min was disappointing, but the lads finished well. Keeping in mind its only February Ive seen enough to give me hope. Roll on Cork in 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cbwfd

Would you ever go away boy(girl) would ya. There's no place for common sense and balanced comments like that here. Come back when you learn a bit of cynicism and negativity!! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Sure what's the point of a forum like this if supporters can't complain about their team underperforming. I am a Kilkenny supporter who posted here after Sunday, so doesn't really bother me how Waterford go but it is so obvious that your county board really messed up by appointing a manager who doesn't have a clue how to pay to yere players strengths. It's as obvious as night and day that he was the wrong person for the job. Finally I'm sure if you went back on this forum during Liam Cahill's reign you would find very little negativity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭parish girl

To be honest the idea of a Kilkenny man coming on here telling us who we should have as manager is beyond tiresome. Imagine us advising Kilkenny on who should be manager.

I come on here for a bit of discussion and balanced analysis. Of course constructive criticism is allowed, but I feel it has gone beyond that, and has become personal. So much so that I need only look at the name of the contributers to know what the content will be like.

But look, its my choice to engage or not, but I'd love for it to be a more positive experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Many posters from other counties post on the Kilkenny thread and even though some are trolls, you also have the likes of Billy Ocean from Wexford who always make good points. Just because I am from Kilkenny doesn't mean I wouldn't be delighted to see Waterford win an all Ireland. I'm not like some of them south Kilkenny men from places like Slieverue, Mooncoin and Kilmacow, who are bitter towards Waterford yet contribute nothing to our own county teams. Ye have a great full forward line but don't play the ball into them. Yere players constantly look confused. Take michael Kiely for one, a player who spent most of the day playing as an extra midfielder. Dessie the same last year. If we were to do the same with tj or Eoin Reid id be fuming but thankfully our manager plays to the players strengths. That is constructive criticism.

True but hard to not feel frustrated with Davys selfish style of play

Terribly hard on himself. Is there no one to help him out and get him enjoying his hurling again? Have they ever had a sports psychologist in with the camp? Ciara Losty or someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

how Could anyone enjoy hurling under this manager

WIT match live on TG4 you tube ; 10 points down at half time.

Not surprised that 'Mary I' are very strong

Lots of upcoming intercounty teachers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I didn't see much of it but that guy looks a good prospect from other matches I've seen of him.

Advertisement