Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

The imbalance

Against

• Genocide
    • 2000lb dumb bombs
    • White phosphorous
    • 260 infants less than 1 year old murdered
    • 90 children killed daily - every single day since 7th October
    • Sniping nuns, civilians carrying white flags and sheep
    • Refusing water, food, fuel and medical aid
    • Looting, stealing and rifling through knicker drawers
    • Leaving infants to decompose in an ICU unit
    • Bulldozing cemeteries
    • Bombing ambulances and killing medical responders
    • Razing universities, schools and places of worship
    • Destroying hospitals
    • Zaka filming PR videos on Oct 7th to raise funds
    • Deliberately Targeting children and "safe areas"
    • Murdering medical personnel
    • Killed three of their own surrendering hostages speaking Hebrew
    • Multiple war crimes
    1. For Israel to take "all measures" to prevent acts of genocide from taking place - FAIL
    2. To ensure the IDF does not engage in any acts of genocide - FAIL
    3. To prevent and punish public incitement to genocide, including by government and military officials - FAIL
    4. To enable basic services and humanitarian aid to reach Gazan civilians - FAIL
    5. To preserve evidence related to violations of Genocide Convention - TBD
    6. To submit a report to the ICJ within one month on all measures taken - TBD

For

• Rescued three hostages

Likely result

World pariah forever more known as a Genocidal State

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@Overheal threadban lifted

Micheál Martin "the continued bombardment on Rafah will constitute a war crime" and "gravely violates international humanitarian law".

Haaretz:

• Israeli forces rescued two hostages. The parents of Sgt. Eldor, who was killed in Gaza on Sunday, called for the return of the hostages: "We got great news today about two that made it out. We need to continue with all our might, in every negotiation, not to divide, not to slander world leaders, that's up to us." At least 67 people were killed and dozens wounded during the rescue operation of Israeli hostages in southern Gaza, according to the Hamas-run Gaza Health Ministry.
    • Israel called on UN relief agencies on Monday to help with its efforts to evacuate civilians from Gaza war zones ahead of its planned ground operation in Rafah near the Egyptian border, where 1.4 million Palestinians are sheltering.
    • Turkey's foreign ministry is in touch with Israeli authorities to resolve the issue of a blocked Gaza aid shipment in an Israeli port, diplomatic sources in Ankara told Reuters.
    • In response to President Biden's comment last week that Israel's Gaza campaign is "over the top," EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said that "if the international community believes that too many people are being killed" then "maybe we have to think about the provision of arms" to Israel.
    • The U.K. has imposed sanctions against four West Bank settlers involved in violence against Palestinians, one of whom was also sanctioned by the U.S. two weeks ago. U.K. Foreign Secretary David Cameron said the four "are involved in some of the most appalling human rights abuses. We must be clear about what is happening here."
    • In response to the sanctions, Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said that "there's a joint American, British and Arab effort to establish a terrorist state" next to Israel.
    • Dozens of Israeli protesters attempted to block aid convoys at the Nitzana border crossing, claiming the supplies go directly to Hamas.
    • President Biden called PM Netanyahu an "a**hole" on three separate occasions in private conversations in recent weeks, frustrated by his policy on IDF operations in Gaza and his obstruction of a cease-fire, according to five sources that spoke with NBC. Last week he called Netanyahu "a bad f*cking guy," according to Politico.
    • Israeli ministers declared Francesca Albanese, the UN's special rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories, persona non grata in Israel after she said victims of Hamas' October 7 attacks were not murdered for being Jews, but "in response to Israel's oppression."
    • An appeals court in the Netherlands ordered the government to suspend all supplies of F-35 aircraft parts to Israel over concerns they were being used in violations of international law during Israel's Gaza offensive. The Dutch government said it would file an appeal at the Supreme Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It wasn't a "random tweet" it was an article in the Times of Israel, they have now "updated" the article

That wasn't what interested me. I was just asking how much credibility you gave her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭volchitsa

That's a Twitter claim about a newspaper. No link given. I read the Times of Israel, and I saw their article saying he was freed yesterday - and I'm sceptical that they might also have said (somewhere else??) that he had been freed previously without noticing their own contradiction?

So do you have an actual link to that astonishing mistake you're claiming they made?

It's astonishing because an Israeli newspaper must know that only women and minors were released in November, that none at all were released in December (the fighting resumed on Dec 1st - and they should surely have remembered that any of the very few men who were released in November nearly off the tops of their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭comerla

Here with the victimhood again - someone's being antisemitic about the poor Israeli's..

Don't put words in my mouth; I didn't say that anti-semitism is justified.

Most of the rest of us could care less about religion; it is the Zionists who weaponise it.

Zionism is an intrinsically racist ideology, which uses jewishness as a basis for discrimination, and to organise/ apply leverage against other peoples. The major defence used to deflect its critics is to denounce critics of Zionism (the racist construct) and Zionist actions as racist against jews - so the zionists are the ones bringing religion into it and making us wonder (even here now) what it is that is driving this evil sh*t.

In terms of whether the nazis were right to kill those innocent people: of course they weren't. if we were in the late 1930s/ early 1940s I would be arguing that the Nazis should stop discrimination against and killing jews; and we would have some like the Zionist sympathisers we now see on here defending what was happening.

Doesn't interest you but you rushed to give it a like all the same. Despite how unlikely it was. No Israeli males over 19 were released, except for a couple of Russians, political reasons.

Didn't it seem implausible to you, or were you really just that keen to believe anything bad about the Israelis at all?

(And I'll be happy to respond to your question when you explain why you rushed to "like" such a ridiculous claim)

Whilst it wasn't a combative grilling, the Ambassador said enough for people to join the dots.

Heard an IDF bloke on Drivetime with Sarah M. He came across the very same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I honestly believe Israel has pushed this too far . The latest toll I saw was 28,000 dead and multiples of that injured . I believe even the US is trying to calm them down. An apartheid state that is losing its high ground .

• Advertisement

I don't have to "believe" anything bad about the Israeli Ambassador at all - she just came right out and made it perfectly clear what her position is and therefore the position of her Government.

As do the IDF and Govt. officials and Settlers.

I "see" it daily - there is no "believe" about it.

And I am most certainly not "keen" to see the Israelis in that position - as I have stated on many occasions. I do not equate "Israelis" with their murderous Government or their murderous army.

No need to respond to my question - you already answered it thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Joe Biden said tonight that there's too many civilians killed in Gaza but keeps sending in weapons.

Biden tainted by this genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Genocide Joe.

The most murderous man in history.

Who’s talking about the ambassador? You quoted a post from me about the claim that Louis Har had been reported as being released in November, and that therefore this was all a lie.

If you didn’t want to talk about that, why did you quote it? Especially as you had also liked the claim itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That's satire, right? Move over Pol Pot step aside Stalin and Hitler.

It's abundantly clear if Biden took a strong public stance against Israel and declared it a genocide (which, from my reading of the US Holocaust Memorial Museum's own definition of genocide, it appears to be), partisan hackery would immediately pivot to calling him a Hamas sympathizer (giving them 'aid and comfort' etc) and an antisemite. AIPAC would already be prepared to spend tens of millions of dollars this cycle ensuring that's the message.

Nevermind that most all of US foreign policy with regard to Israel is heavily codified into US law (eg.) and a litany of treaties which are technically superior to US code and state laws. It is unclear what action the "genocide joe" peanut gallery would have the POTUS do in order to ensure a release of hostages, and end of Hamas, the cessation of hostilities against innocent Palestinians, and which would not result in an immediate preliminary injunction by an Israel lobby lawsuit, or an outright revolt of pro-Israeli electorate resulting in a Trump victory in November, all but guaranteeing a 4 year term where Israel is enabled by an administration to, and I quote, "do whatever the hell they want," by the same despot who abandoned the Kurds in Syria and moved the Israeli embassy to Jerusalem.

Even now the Congress will only consider aid to Ukraine in exchange for aid to Israel (having already seen Trump taking credit for nuking a 3 way deal for US southern border security, Ukraine and Israel aid). Trade Ukraine being overtaken by the Russians in exchange for a pyrrhic, if not completely empty political gesture for Gaza (ie. veto aid for both Israel and Ukraine)?

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/biden-threatens-veto-us-houses-standalone-israel-aid-bill-2024-02-05/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Zionism is simply Jewish Nationalism, a want for statehood, so if that is racist, so is Irish Nationalism.

No it's a bit more complicated then that. It's certainly not a movement for simply any ol' Jewish Nation just simply any ol' place, but a very specific place, occupied by another group the Israelis are conducting genocidal acts against.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Zionism

https://perspectives.ushmm.org/tag/zionism

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It doesn’t matter what Israel does , the US will always back them because of fanatical christians at the core of the US who believe that the second coming can’t happen without a Israel . Plus a war against islamic factions , which in all fairness they started

I quoted a post where there was a query about credibility. I posted nothing about the claim itself. I simply queried the credibility of the Ambassador.

You appear to be confused.

• Advertisement

Elon Levy challenged by Krishnan Guru Murthy as to where Palestinians should go, Levy said they should leave Rafah and to Al-Mawasi as its a safe area.

Al-Mawasi was and is still being bombed by Israel

It's genocide

Financial jeopardy?

Haaretz:

Despite Credit Rating Downgrade, Israeli FM Smotrich Chooses Not to Meet With Top Treasury Staff

The finance minister instead joined a tour of the army's Julis base. Netanyahu has so far made no announcement about any plans to hold any discussion on the ratings action

Despite an unprecedented downgrade in Israel's credit rating by the Moody's rating agency, Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich chose not to meet with top treasury officials on Sunday to discuss the implications, which may include higher costs for future government borrowing and the loss of foreign investment.

"I hate to say I told you so"

Haaretz:

The World Will Not Be Able to Say 'We Didn't Know' About What Israel Will Do in Rafah.

Apart from death, nothing in life is total. Perhaps that is what Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu meant when he vows time after time that the goal of the war in the Gaza Strip is total victory. Total victory in this case will mean certain death for residents of Gaza who have been herded from all over the Strip into a giant slaughterhouse in Rafah. 

It seems that Israeli mouth pieces rolled out over the last couple of days to justify an impending slaughter in Rafah are only succeeding in justifying the opposite.

The world sees what's going on.

I'd imagine normal Israelis are equally as horrified by the actions of the warmongers.

"Hamas has said three of eight Israeli hostages who were seriously injured following Israeli air strikes had died from their wounds."

Source RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Well, astonishingly that appears to be the case. If you Google it the below results come in. Google timestamps articles from when they are published.

You can see here the timestamp of 19th December 2023. And it’s clearly updated to show the future date of February 12th. Would indicate someone’s backdated an article.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I don't do twitter, I just looked at some of his other posts.

Why don't you find someone more reliable than this vatnik to retweet? Surely there's confirmations elsewhere of what he's saying? I mean, what's the point of what you're doing, other than retweeting and expressing outrage? An AI could do that.

Elon Levy challenged by Krishnan Guru Murthy as to where Palestinians should go, Levy said they should leave Rafah and to Al-Mawasi as its a safe area.

In the clip you linked, Levy never mentions Al-Mawasi, so id categorise this as misinformation.

Finding more reliable sources requires effort. Much easier to find random Twitter accounts that suit a certain viewpoint, regardless of whether it is true or not, as the emotional pull is what one is after, not fact or truth.

Also, many of these Twitter accounts are deliberately misinforming and peddling disinformation because they make money from it. That is the cold hard reality. 'Rage merchants' as it's called.

We all know the harm that disinformation does to the public square of debate, but alas some don't care of the harm and will freely retweet stuff from dubious sources here.

• Advertisement

So you didn't read the thread? Cheers for the clarification.

Advertisement