Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampdown on TV 'Dodgy Boxes'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

Watermarks might allow Sky to link a stream to a valid subscription but linking that subscription to an individual is a lot harder. Even then you'd have to prove they were the ones rebroadcasting it illegally

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Manc-Red_

The viewing card number has appeared on the top right of the screen during events on sky sports for a few years now. That’s been encrypted by the IPTV boys. What they can’t stop is when the official box randomly puts out the same number on an advert within say a sky sports logo in say the middle of the screen. This happens too.

How do they get around this?

Easy, by using a box that’s not from the provider that can open the channel through hacked means.

Thats how they do it.

Privately, Icam - which is the second encryption used by some providers is hacked and in use by IPTV to be the source of the channels.

That can’t be sourced by the provider.

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

If IPTV hacks at 28e and uploads to a server. Why are they still pushing press releases about embedded watermarks?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Gusser09

To try and catch/discourage pubs or other commercial entities. Walk into a pub and see a blurred watermark its prosecution time.

Pubs pay huge money for games. Thats where the losses ste.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

My understanding was that the result of an IPTV provider hacking at 28e would make all of these new elusive watermarking technologies useless with regards to identifying a legal subscription.

• Advertisement

The encryption hasn't been hacked as otherwise card sharing would be back. Far cheaper to deliver than IPTV.

What does hacking 28e mean? If you are talking about the satellite itself, that's the stuff of conspiracies

Post edited by dubrov on

Its the encryption that Sky were sending to your receiver. What I believe was happening was encryption keys were being leaked rather than hacked.

Card sharing was also more reliable than IPTV and no real need for internet. A hotspot off a phone done the trick.

I believe Sky were rotating the decryption keys every few minutes. It was possible to use a legitimate box to determine the valid decryption keys and these were then shared with other boxes in realtime

it would be fantastic if card sharing came back. Just can't see it though. I'd imagine a lot of time has been spent exploiting potential weaknesses. Card sharing ship has well and truly sailed now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Card sharing was also more reliable than IPTV and no real need for internet. A hotspot off a phone done the trick.

Neither work without the internet. Also the genesis of card sharing was peer to peer not server to peers. Peer to Peer was rock solid.

The reliability of both was determined by the quality of the server and the saturation of that server.

When CS was at it's peak the main servers were in Northern Cyprus, with everyone else just being a reseller of these. They weren't actually very reliable and grew worse, to the point that motorised dishes or multi lnbs became very popular in order to pick up packages around Europe whose key change was less frequent.

The most reliable packages being the ones where the key changes happened every few days, the STBs would automatically download these changes when they were posted on a specific server. The most popular was a couple of packages from Bulgaria, Turkey, Holland and a package that the American military provided for their armed forces.

IPTV took it's time on reliability, but no it's far more reliable now than CS ever was, plus there is no fecking around with softcam or image updates.

Again, it all depends on the quality of the server you are using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

My firestick had problems for a day or two, box sets and movies wouldn't play, netflix and apple ones worked but amazon prime stuff didn't, all back to normal again, currently watching all the Fargo seasons at the moment.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭forrestgeorge

I don't believe there will be a crack down as Sky sell adverts during the sport events and the price they charge is calculated of the number of people viewing, and i read somewhere years ago dodgy box viewers are included in this calculation, the more viewers the higher the advert cost, thats why Superbowl advert are $7 million for 30 seconds.

What IPTV app is recommended, all ready have Tivimate, unfortunately the movies wont update with it, a know problem, apparently the creator is tied up in the Ukrainian war so no updates forthcoming.

Anyone use IPTVX on apple devices, its laid out exactly like Netflix, do you know of one like it for Android?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Discovered ibo pro player recently. Very smooth and looks well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I like smarters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭jj880

Could be similar to mine: Sky Glass Smarters v3.0

Its a good layout and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Meanman

How would I go about buying a VPN. Im I.T. illiterate😫

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

On this is subject matter... is there a streaming service for just golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Don’t think so and you can be sure it would be more than €60 a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Interface is slightly clunky but fairy user friendly. I updated the app recently and its content is refreshed. Very up to date movies and 4K (probably closer to 2k in reality though)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭shmeee

Moved to IBO pro app on my Smart TVs recently as was with Smarters Player which was starting to get buggy and laggy for some reason on the smart TVs. £6 is worth it for IBO on the smart TV's.

On android devices it's a mix of XCIPTV skinned app and IBO I use.

Happy enough with them all at present.

• Advertisement

Just go to google and type in express vpn. Buy form their site. Handy enough. Literally no different than buy a pair of shoes online.

There is a firestick app.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Meanman

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Cease and desist letters sent to resellers.

I wonder how much it will spook sellers, who seem to be regular Joe Soaps with a side hustle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Resellers been targeted have themselves to blame as they are openly advertising an illegal product on social media. My supplier will ban you if you pass his details to anyone without permisson, doesn't accept paypal or revolut, the ones who operate quietly will continue to be fine. Its greed will be the undoing of many resellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If they don't accept paypal or revolut how do they get paid? Cash in an envelope?

Yeah that doesn't make sense. It would be very hard to link payments to those platforms to IPTV.

I've said for a long time that anyone in the Jurisdiction currently reselling these streams are silly at best. I haven't dealt with an Irish based provider in a very long time. Just looking at the FACT crowd.

Are they UK based? I wonder what legal basis or authority they have to do this sort of thing. I smell a rat. There is a reason they are sending letters and nothing more I suspect.

Crypto. Which makes it difficult for the average joe to sign up and keeps the idiots off the service.

Too many idiots sending payments with "dodgy box" or "dodgy sky" on the comments.

Indeed. My dude will ban you straight away if you include IPTV etc in the payment comment.

He is on telegram too rather than whatsapp.

• Advertisement

Yep same telegram, you need to go through 3 apps to actually download the IPTV panel, must use a VPN too.

Going strong over 5 years, 4k streams, I like that he knows what he's into and takes the necessary precautions to protect himself and his cusotmers. Over some idiot that is plastering his service accross META's platforms.

Advertisement