Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervans in Marina area?

Options
  • 11-02-2024 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭

loads of camper vans down in the parking area - end of marina - Shandon Boat Club/Greenway car park..

just curious - do they need permission to be there or whats the scenario?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭thehairygrape

As long as they’re just parking and not camping there should be no problem. They pay tax and insurance so as entitled to park there as much as anyone else. Now, there’s a few caravans there that I’d question. Great facility. Hope the campers behave re taking up one space only and not dumping their waste where they shouldn’t. Otherwise, good luck to them. Bringing business to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

business to the area? its a parking lot.. i am there a lot and there are a few camper vans that are always there.. so i'd say that some are staying over night for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

They're causing no harm to anyone. For some of them their camper is their home. Leave them be.

Yes, business to the area. Coffee dock right next to it. The Marina Market and Black Market witching easy walking distance. Blackrock village within easy walking distance as is the City itself. Why do you think it’s so popular?

Of course people are overnighting there. It’s perfectly legal. I live close by so won’t need it for my own camper, but when I’m abroad I’m sure the villages and towns I stop in are grateful for whatever bit of business I bring to their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,356 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What have people got against others overnighting in caravans In car parks?

So what?

• Advertisement

thanks for your thoughts...

ummm.. I dunno.. I see potential problems arising if many more arrive..

and doubt they are spending much in the area - except for perhaps supermarkets.. and fuel stations..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

To be able to stay somewhere overnight is why they bought camper vans.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Well, there’s a big difference. Motor homes and Campers are built on their own chassis and are classified as vehicles in their own right. They are also insured and taxed in their own right. Hence, they are legal to park in public car parks. Caravans need towing and are not classified as vehicles in themselves. Parking a caravan is essentially camping, which may not be legal. This is the origin of Aires in France, where caravans are not usually allowed. Motorhome owners argued (successfully) that they are allowed park as per any vehicle so the Aires developed from there and on to other countries in mainland Europe. This brings business to towns and villages that would otherwise go elsewhere. Many of these towns put services in for waste etc and charge a small fee as an alternative to campsites. These services are not available in the Marina, so it’s just a car park. Cobh does have an area which does provide services and charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I live in Dublin close to a carpark where a lot of campers will overnight in before heading off on the Ferry. A lot will drive from Cork, Kerry, Donegal etc... so there's no stress getting up in the morning and driving miles, could be a similar situation you're seeing. There's no problem with them. I also have a camper and as a community they're pretty responsible, self regulated and when they're not in a designated campsite they keep a very low profile, no BBQ's or tables out, no noise and they tend to never pollute or flytip.

Do you live close to where they're parking up?

• Advertisement

thats what I am talking about...

seems to me that its the same camper vans that are there all the time... and while its not a prob now, imagine if loads more arrive?

I live near by and meet all my buddies in that area for walks/coffee/lunch... as do sooo many other people.. but there are loads of these camper vans - less parking for people using the area as a local amenity... (where they spend lots of money in the local cafes etc)..

its a 'greenway car park'.. not a camper van car park..

I see probs in the future...

a camper van car park should be just so - like the area in Cobh.. thats my opinion

PS they are not caravans - camper vans!

I’m not disagreeing with you. I’d love to see (more than one) proper campier/Motorhome park in Cork. Tramore Valley was mooted at one point. My reply to the OP was just trying to explain the legalities and the difference between campers/motor homes and caravans. There were two caravans there last week and one there on a fairly regular basis. Doesn’t bother me but that may pose legal problems re camping as opposed to temporary parking as I tried to explain above. I foresee problems in the future as well, especially with the CCC potentially putting up a height barrier. Hope that never comes about as I’m on the camper side of the argument. Proper parking for campers could be a good money spinner and these owners do spend in the locality.

I probably pass you on your walks on a regular basis. Fantastic amenity. Hello anyway.

So they must be locals then. It's not something to worry about to be honest, you can't pinpoint a problem except "seeing problems in the future" which is a bit ambiguous. On the other hand, as a responsible campervan owner it's great to hear about another place to stay in a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

the one on all saint's road? i often notice campers from germany etc. there.

you get loads of them in posh sandymount in D4 too on the seafront car parks, and no one seems to mind that much, so far.

Spanish, German, Swiss, UK and plenty of Irish ones, lots from Cork! Never a problem... they often leave the camper & get the bus in to town for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I sympathise - there's quite the difference between camper vans just pulling in to a greenway type car park for an overnight and then moving on - to camper vans using it as semi permanent parking spot. Particularly if it impacts on local usage. First is fair enough, second is out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Places like Kenmare, Tramore and Salthill have issues where campervans are parked along the waterfront and block access or views.

I mean, you spend half a mil for a house overlooking the sea in Salthill, and there's constantly a row of tall campers blocking your view throughout the summer.

I have a camper and try to park respectfully, but Ireland is poorly set up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Grey123

I've been surprised at the amount of campervans there too. The car park gets full so it does have some impact at times.

Word has obviously got out, to be fair it's a great place to park. I'm not really against them, never seen issues with it but I can see if numbers continue to grow it may be an issue.

I find Ireland is pretty poor at providing facilities for these kinds of things. That's probably the route of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭PreCocious

The vans usually stay up towards the far end and the numbers are low. I haven't seen any increase in litter - more likely to get the takeaway wrappers dumped from a car whose owner has stopped up for whatever.

The only time the carpark is full is when there's an event on so they're hardly taking space from "locals". (Who if they're local don't really need to drive..).

It's a nice spot to stop especially if on the way to the ferry - quick access into town, local places to get refreshments, away from the noise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

This is a common misconception. People who have campervans are generally not short of a few bob. Those vans cost a lot. They don’t need to go to Aldi and buy beans and fry them up in their van. They use the van as a base and go to the local restaurants/bars. I’ve joined them many a time and none of the people I travel with would cook if not on a campsite, or on a very long trip.

• Advertisement

good healthy discussion..

all contributions welcomed and pondered..

next time i'm down there i'll make note of the number of them that are there.. camper vans! not caravans! - there are none of the latter..

but last weekend, there was nothing on in "Supervalu".. yet there was hardly any where to park.. there must hav been about 12 camper vans.. at a guess..

I guess if nothing else - this has highlighted the need for a specific area for camper vans to park..

also noted.. no litter etc...

I'm just noticing more of them there - and less space for "greenway users' and the car park is for the "greenway'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

There was a Cork Kilkenny hurling league match taking place on Saturday evening.

There are over 200 places in that car park - 10 or 20 campervans doesn't have a huge impact. A bigger problem I see is the number of drivers who take two slots to make sure no-one parks alongside their car.

There are also three local boat clubs using the car park - Lee, Shandon and Naomhoga Chorcai.

i was there on Sunday.. no games and hardly anyone or thing on the river.. lots of cars - cool - after all its a "car park".. but there wer about 12 camper vans - some of whom are always there.. (I am down there often as live near by)

anyway like I said - just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

This was an issue near Coal Harbour, Dun Laoghaire. Camper vans parking up taking more than one space (parked so the space beside it could not be used by another vehicle so they had space to sit outside). It was just selfish behaviour by most of them. Recreational users of the area (paddle boarding, sailing, going for a walk had fewer spaces for short term parking, which is the purpose of the car parks. When a big concert was in in town it would be rammed with vans to avail of a cheap overnight (€4)

Generally the people parking up there spent little in the area. Some left refuse, emptied toilets into sea and also tried to avail of free hot showers in a nearby sailing club. I think in Howth they are banned from the car park now over similar reasons.

Last year DRCC who now manage DL harbour erected a height restricted barrier which solved the problem

I have nothing against camper vans. In popular places, dedicated parking areas with proper facilities, and a charge that reflects the time spent parked up is the way forward.

Post edited by Kaisr Sose on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've heard the accusations of emptying toilet cassettes into the sea before but first of all, you'd need to be an absolute cu*t to do something like that and second of all, I've never heard of any convictions for doing it which is strange given that all it should take is the reg plate of the camper to identify the perpetrators.

I'm not saying it never happens, there most certainly are some absolute cu*ts out there, but the frequency at which it's claimed to happen, you'd think even one of the people witnessing it might manage to get a reg plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Sorry, edited post above to say 'some' emptied toilets, left litter.

It's would be easy to do things like this late at night or early morning.

Parking enforcement is little to none around there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭PreCocious

I'm a bit lost here. Firstly there was a match on which drew in people from all across Cork and Kilkenny.

Secondly - are we saying that 12 camper vans were taking up an entire car park ? There are a lot of spaces there. The spaces are for those who require parking in the area. If their vehicle is a camper van or a builder's transit or a beefy SUV or a wee Smart then it makes no difference as long as they're within the white lines, not parking on the grass by the trees and not littering the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

I counted about 15 campervans parked up there during christmas week. Not a bad idea for people visiting family, I guess.

The Coal Harbour ban was nothing to do with rubbish or emptying cassettes, someone just made that up, it's scuttlebutt. The official statement:

"Officials at Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown local authority, while sympathetic to the demand for, and popularity of motorhome tourism, insist they have no option but to introduce the impediment to motorhome parking to protect the car park for its primary purpose and ensure safe access to an important slipway utilised by numerous boating and water sports groups".

I sail in Howth & know the harbourmaster, there was no rubbish or effluent issue in Howth either, they were maliciously spread rumours. The ban was a result of local busybodies complaining, they simply didn't like the look of the campers and had them banned.

Both were popular stops with the Campervan community with all the restaurants and pubs but alas no more, it was brilliant for regattas because only half the crew could fit in the boat, the rest could stay in the camper.

Post edited by John_Rambo on

• Advertisement

that game was on on Sat - I was there on Sunday..

as for the rest - read my previous posts for my points of concern

Advertisement