Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

win xp

Options
  • 12-02-2024 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

I have a desktop running win xp for the last few days I cant run facebook on said desktop. Any ideas ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Try Firefox

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-xp

Mainstream End Date : April 14th 2009

At a rough guess, the OS and Browser no longer support some feature that Facebook deem to be a basic requirement. Almost certainly something security related.

Given a usable used Windows 10 Desktop can be had for about €100 - and a basic new one for maybe €300 ... it might be time to upgrade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's probably a very bad idea to run a windows xp machine connected to the Internet. You'll be open to a load of attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Different browser or mobile website if possible

I still run an xp device but browsing the internet on it is pretty challenging

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭martin6651

I use win xp because I use an old version of AutoCad which win 10 wont run.

Thank you all for your comments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭thereiver

Buy a Windows 10 laptop or PC on adverts.ie Windows XP had no security updates for 9 years eg if it's connected to the web it..l l be likely be attacked by hackers and malware that'll steal your banking info credit card no pin no and emails or

use a smartphone to access Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

It is possible to run programs in previous versions of windows in the programs settings and compatibility properties providing you get it installed on a newer device.

Another way around is using a virtual machine running windows xp on a newer version of windows. It’s not as complicated to do as it sounds.

Probably wise not to have anything to sensitive in the xp machine connected to the internet. I remember having SSL issues browsing last time I used the device, but similarly I don’t really use it for browsing either

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭sugarman20

It was great though wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Windows 10 will be going the same way in 18 months or so. For all the setup and transfers involved, it might be a short-sighted and short-term investment. And the OP's critical app won't run on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes it was. XP was very stable and never had a problem with it.

• Advertisement

Even a windows 10 pc will need some updates that's the eternal cycle there's a new version of windows every few years .and you'll need a good antivirus installed .

The point is hold onto the old pc to run autocad if you cannot afford the new version

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

This does occur in the real world but the PC would be nowhere near the Internet

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

The problem with windows 11 is it has minimum hardware requirements a windows 10 pc is cheap to buy on adverts.ie

If you get a virus on the old pc it could erase your data or send personal data to a hacker if you connected it to the internet

I just used to install Linux mint on my old pc as it has a browser and it's easy to use by a non expert

A windows 10 pc should be ok as long as you download all the updates security updates use Firefox or the brave browser

Advertisement