Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Yeah let's waste more money on child benefit and education just to watch them leave Ireland when they grow up as their will still be nowhere for them to live

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Turns out net Irish migration was zero last year when you consider the ones leaving and the ones returning. About 30,000 left and about 30,000 returned in 2023

I doubt this will have any impact but here's the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

At least 20% of the car insurance fee should be held in reserve by the insurance companies for use by the car owner in emergencies, no question asked. If there's no emergencies they can claim it back, or put it towards the insurance fee for the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

People who were married for years maybe have a couple of children and then suddenly realise they are gay and decided to go their own way are sleazebags.They've essentially conned someone into a relationship .If a person has even the slightest doubt about their sexuality then they should not get into a long term relationship with another person and essentially lead them along for a significant period of time.

This type of behaviour is deemed very brave and praiseworthy by the media but it isn't, frankly it's a dreadful thing to do to someone else.

Post edited by Jack Daw on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Have you ever seen Logan's Run? (We can discuss the cut-off age later...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teediddlyeye

I'm sure it's possible to care for the elderly without the need for them to have 37 taxable assets or "grandchildren". Like I said our economic model needs to shift to do so.

We won't have a choice but to do it at some stage the way we're going the last 100 years.

Great to see Chinas population finally start to decline, hopefully the west and Africa will follow in the coming decades.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

The most likely choice is to reduce care for older people. The ones who can afford private care will pay for it and those who can't afford it will go without.

We often think about the state pension as being a big cost but that's the least of it. Consider it a small cost along with bus passes and heating grants. The big costs will be in health care for an aging population.

I don't think of my house as an asset I can pass to my child, I see it as an asset I can sell to pay for my old age. And I'm delighted that I have an asset I can sell. Those who can't afford to buy a house are in big trouble.

Look at the attitude and of old people since the 80s towards tax and the state building houses to replace the council house stock they sold off to those people. If the younger people take the same attitude towards paying for old people's health care, the old people are screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,735 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What if your straight & get married & then decided you just don't love them any more & leave is that ok ?

Yes, because at least the entire marriage was not based on a lie from the get go it's just a normal breakup.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,735 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Is it not possible for someone to realise after they have been married that they like the same sex ?

Its a bit of a mad one really, Is there some specific date you have that people most know what they want in life at ? People grow & change all the time a realise they like new thing & don't like old things ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,278 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

That superbowl half time was a load of bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What if they go off with someone of the opposite sex? Is that ok?

personally I would prefer if my other half decided they were gay, at least I would know it wasn't anything I did/didn't do/ nothing wrong with me 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Cordell

What do you mean it wasn't you?! It was YOU who made them turn gay!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

economist Deirdre McCloskey, born donald, knew from a young age that something wasnt right in regards her gender, largely due to societal norms and expectations, she ignored this and carried on, eventually marrying and having kids. during her marriage, she engaged in cross dressing, while her wife knew, but excepted this behavior, donald eventually realising though, enough is enough, and decided to go the whole hog. this destroyed her family, she didnt speak to her kids for years, and still classes her wife as the love of her life....

...i.e. this sh1t gets really really complicated, and fast....

People would 100% know they were gay while getting married they'd just repress that part of them and try to lie to themselves that the weren't.If you want to lie to yourself then fine, deceiving someone you are getting married to is not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The super bowl is the American equivalent of the fa cup final

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Parents who murder their kids shouldn't have prayers offered for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Suckler

I tried to watch Simon Jordan debate the Premiership V NFL with some American journalist. Simon Jordan has his moments of being insufferable, but the American his was debating with was worse by a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

that does'nt count, that was like during covid, or people returning home due to wanting to be with their families (who happen to be in ireland) not coming back to ireland for ireland.

Many people leave the country for jobs or a better life, they don't move back here for a better life. only people that move here for a better life are [deleted] and thats usually for the benefits and the warm welcome and policies rather than for the country itself.

Also that could be 30,000 leaving, but not the same 30,000 coming back into the country, but rather 30,000 people migrating into the country from outside. its very easy to falsify or make statistics misleading.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

That says something because Simon Jordan is one insufferable bollox, the shite he comes out with! The Americans have this delusion that the super bowl is the biggest sporting event in the world when most of them just care about the ads and half time show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,814 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm not sure if this might be a bit of a shock to you, but there are these people known as 'bisexuals'...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,814 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Children are not a 'voting demographic'. They are not adults therefore cannot bear the responsibility of voting. (Nor should they have to)

Once they reach adulthood they can vote with everyone else.

You're approaching it from the side of the rare few children who might be interested. How about all the children who haven't a bean what's going on who's parents just see it as another vote they can cast? Suddenly you've families getting more votes for their party as they have more children.

Do you agree with any age cut off at all? Will we be seeing 4 year olds being vox popped by journalists after casting their vote to ask their opinions on national issues? The more I think about it, the more absurd it gets.

If you have a child that's really interested in voting, great! Keep their interest alive and perhaps they'll be first in line at the polling booths when they turn 18.

there are also people who claim to be gay just as an excuse to get out of a marriage, then after parting/separating from their partner go straight back to having straight sex with other people. a convenient lie in other words

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Ah here. Where did you get that it was during covid? Was May 2022-April2023 during covid?

Nobody said it was the same 30,000 irish people emmegrating and immigrating. The definition of emmegrant and immigrant from the report means they can't be the same people. It just said 30,000 Irish people emmegrated, and another irish 30,000 who had emmegrated in previoys years, returned. Net 900 emmegrated

I didn't speculate on the reasons for returning. I responded to @Grayfox who suggested it was a waste of money to pay to educate children to watch them leave. Turns out as many Irish people returned as left last year.

Just for the craic, where exactly did anyone falsify or nake the statistics misleading? It seems you didn't undertake them so why do you think they might be misleading?

in all fairness, you gotta admit that kids would do a better job running the country than the current clowns to be fair

The first part is just restating the current position. I know people under 18 can't vote, that's what I'm arguing against. But they are a demographic. I asked how you're comfortable discussion ountung the views of a whole demographic and you didn't address it.

We don't worry about adults voting like their parents, why would we worry about young people doing it?

I don't see a good cut off. As long as they can practically vote, then I wouldn't discriminate. I wouldn't personally expect my 4 year old to vote. But I'd start explaining the process a log younger than if they couldn't actually vote for another 14 years.

We don't have an upper age limit, so there shouldn't be a lower age limit. We don't actually care about capacity to understand the issues, evidenced by the fact that we don't prevent dementia sufferers from voting, we don't prevent people with mental disabilities from voting, but you're dead set against a 15 year old voting. Could you explain that?

you said returning, that wording implies its the exact same people coming back. Return means to come back. How can a person "return" if they never left ireland, or never been in ireland to begin with?

i understand you were responding to grayfox https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/The_Gray_Fox_(Oblivion)

But its dishonest and misleading how you're using those stats to try counter what he said (and the perfectly good valid point he made, despite myself disagreeing with it) saying just as many irish returned as had left, they clearly did'nt return for educational reasons or for work, otherwise they never would have left to begin with. They may have returned for any number of reasons, primarily i somewhat believe due to family living back home in ireland. does'nt matter the reason why, fact is they were coming home back to ireland anyway regardless, therefore if 30,000 did not leave the country after school, we still would have gotten this 30,000 back. meaning it made no difference and does'nt actually counter what gray fox said.

Also for the last part of what you said, statistics can be misleading or false anytime. if statistics say the sky is pink, that does'nt actually make the sky pink at all

Come here, you misunderstand the stat. The definition of emmegrant in the report is someone leaving ireland and not resident in Ireland for at least 12 months. The definition of immigrant is someone coming to ireland and being resident for at least 12 months. The part I quoted looked at a 12 month period..... They couldn't possibly have been the same people. They have to be unique individuals.

The fact that we're still discussing how you misunderstood the meaning should give pause for thought. Does it give pause for thought, at all?

yeah but you used it in a way that was dishonest when responding to grayfox, you used the stat to rebut what he said, i'm simply trying to say it can't apply. i don't agree with his statement (partially i do i'm in 2 minds about it, i believe more money should be put into education, but rather more about teaching the right things to kids instead of just throwing away the money blindly to schools, he's right in his reason about kids fecking off out of the country when possible and why they do).

Regardless of my understanding or misunderstanding of stats, they're not returning to ireland at all. Same or different people coming back to ireland, regardless of 12 months the point still stands. They're obviously not coming back for the country itself. Their "comings" back cannot be used in any sort of argument whatsoever to support the country. The stats don't really matter. grayfox's point still stands about this country and the kids leaving it. saying about 30k people immigrating and emergrating back to ireland or whatever word you want to use, doesnt change this

• Advertisement

I know that.The same applies, unless they let their heterosexual partner know they are bisexual then it is simply misleading them and they shouldn't do that.Not much to ask for people to be 100% honest with someone they are in a long term relationship with.

Advertisement