Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭minimary

Genuinely had to do a double take when I saw those posters out in the wild, they look so pro-life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

They wheeled out the feminists agenda in order to get abortion referendum comfortably passed by the Irish electorate.

This time they’re wheeling out another fundamentalist fanatical religion of climate change to urge their subjects the way they’d like.

Expect their minions in the Irish media to begin a campaign directed at shaming anyone who is against their wishes. Tactics like “think of the children’s future” & “if you vote no you are anti science” etc etc.

Let the predictable nonsense ensue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Are you listening to Roderic O'Gorman on radio this morning? Getting a fairly soft interview but even at that, he's all at sea trying to explain what a 'durable relationship' might be. Asked would a 'durable relationship' include three people living together and he says no as they would not be a family. Asked what was a family and he couldn't answer, was it based on children - no he says. It's ludicrous to fiddle around with this in the constitution. He has an idea in his head that a 'durable relationship' will cover single parent families and co-habitating couples and that's it. But clear the term they've chosen 'durable relationship' is going to be open to numerous interpretations. And when it goes to the courts as it will, the justices will come back and roundly criticise the political system for using such loose language.

Presumably advised not to include diverse families so as not to scare the horses. Better to sell the message 'mum & apple pie'. Despite 'mum' being sold down the swanee - she's being removed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,721 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I had hoped we'd never see referendum posters with a baby on them again... I think the best thing the Greens can do if they want these to pass is stfu as they are not exactly popular.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

”And when it goes to the courts as it will, the justices will come back and roundly criticise the political system for using such loose language.”

Sounds like they have intentional issues forming coherent language. Highlights similarities to Helen Mcentees hate speech bill. (Which you’d be forgiven if you thought it was written by a child in junior infants)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

About the only thing this government is good at is fooking things up.

I can remember when it was perfectly obvious what a woman was, what the definition of hate was and the only thing durable was something made out of plastic.

Every time those eejits come out they should just play the chorus of "Stuck in the Middle with You"

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right."

I am not allowed discuss …

Well their best bet to getting it passed is to keep it all 'mum & apple pie' and as low profile as possible. If there is any debate that focuses public attention on the changes - doomed.

• In some parts of our planet’s society this has been and is still in some areas considered a durable relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

ЦЕА фь Ш ензкуштп шт Кгыышфт щк ыщьурештпю

Рфы еру ышеу иуштп рфслув ру ру ру ру

I am not allowed discuss …

At the launch of the Fine Gael referendum campaigns, Mr Varadkar said that there is an impression that any people with a durable relationship will be classified as a family if the referendum passes.

However, he said, that is not correct, saying that there are existing tests within the Constitution that set out additional requirements to be classified as a family.

“What I would want to make very clear though, is I think some people are giving the impression that every durable relationship therefore becomes a family,” said Mr Varadkar. "That's not the case.

“Lots of people have all sorts of durable relationships. Business relationships for example, might be going on for decades.

"Nobody is going to be able to rock down to the courts and say that makes them a family."

"There are other tests that are there, set out in the Constitution already.”

More quotes from him in this one, same as O'Gorman threatening that there won't be any extra funding going forward unless the carers ammendment is voted through

"The Taoiseach also said the new article on care will give protections to carers and those they care for that are now limited to only to women and only in the home.

“It will put a positive obligation on future governments to continue to work hard to provide additional state support for family carers, men and women, in the home and outside of it,” said the Taoiseach."

McDowell filed an FOI to get access to the "notes and minutes discussing the consequences of the amendments including tax laws, social welfare laws, pension laws, allocation of family assets, alimony and allowance including the laws in relation to family reunification for asylum seekers" of the government’s Interdepartmental Group meetings which considered the proposed amendments to the Constitution and has been refused completely

The reason given is that to "access and publish these minutes would be “premature” and might impinge on “the integrity and viability of the referendums”, as “public officials could be seen to promote” referendum outcomes in breach of what the Departments says are the McKenna/McCrystal Principles."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Senator Michael McDowell released this statement today condemning O’Gorman’s Department’s Freedom Of Information Cover-Up

“The public interest requires keeping the public in the dark”

Minister Roderic O’Gorman’s Department has now decided that it would not be in the “public interest” to publish the minutes of the government’s Interdepartmental Group meetings which considered the proposed amendments to the Constitution, over the course of the last year 2023.

The Department has refused access to all 64 pages of notes and minutes discussing the consequences of the amendments including tax laws, social welfare laws, pension laws, allocation of family assets, alimony and allowance including the laws in relation to family reunification for asylum seekers. The withheld records include minutes of 16 meetings of the cross-departmental group. The records also include correspondence with an NGO named “Treoir”. The Department’s flawed opinion is that to allow access and publish these minutes would be “premature” and might impinge on “the integrity and viability of the referendums”, as “public officials could be seen to promote” referendum outcomes in breach of what the Departments says are the McKenna/McCrystal Principles. The Department apparently wishes to suppress all information in the minutes of the cross-departmental meetings until after the people have voted in the referendum. Are the people not entitled to know what the Department of Finance sees as the likely consequences for tax and pension law? Are the people not entitled to know what the implications are giving much wider rights for family reunification to asylum seekers and immigrants?

False Reliance on the Electoral Commission: The Department says that the function of the Electoral Commission is to “impartial and accurate information” to the public. But the Electoral Commission cannot tell the public what the consequences of the referendums will be for tax laws for family law relating to divisions of family homes, businesses, farms and pension law, criminal law, and succession law to name but some. All the Electoral Commission can do is to tell voters that the courts will have to decide “hard cases” in future disputes.

Cover Up : I reject the Department’s flawed reasoning for refusing public access to the process that led to these constitutional amendments being rushed through the Dáil and Seanad by Minister O’Gorman using guillotine motions to prevent proper debate. The Department’s decision perverts the democratic process which requires giving the people all the facts before they vote in a referendum.

As one leading, legal authority on Freedom of Information said: “The public is only marginally concerned with reasons supporting a policy which an agency has rejected…in contrast the public is vitally concerned with the reasons that did supply the basis for an agency policy actually adapted.”

There is no justification for this departmental cover-up of the processes and considerations that have led to these flawed referendum proposals.

Ends*

Post edited by 1800_Ladladlad on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Another Senator, Tom Clonan has also come out strongly against the referendum. I think I'll take the advice of the two most sober and academic politicians over Varadkar and O'Gorman.

🙈🙉🙊

Government officials are actively promoting a Yes vote and the government is using taxpayers' money which funds these NGO's adamantly pushing for a yes vote. The NGO Treoir named above is of course pushing the yes vote, look at their home page www.treoir.ie "For more information on Treoir's Campaign for #VoteYesYes". The 'national women's council of Ireland' is nearly entirely reliant on government (public) money with 96% of staff costs over the past 3 years being paid for directly by grants from government depts & other publicly funded entities.

Remember this is the same Department that deleted three out of four reports pertaining to the treatment of children taken into care by Tusla sent to him by Judge Dermot Simms. The same Department that has young girls in Tusla care being exploited by ‘gangs’ of men. The same Department that has 12 separated children still missing from state carer. This is the same department Minister threatening unelected & unaccountable state-funded NGOs telling them that they must explain any decision not to support the referendum.

What is it they hiding? how can they claim impartiality as a reason to suppress important information the public should know? Has there ever been an impartial public-serving gov in the history of the state?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I was considering voting 'no' and now I definitely am. Worrying reading. This supposedly fluffy referendum could have consequences way beyond what the government are openly saying. Are they trying to make fools out of the voters here? What kind of mess would we have to clean up afterwards?

Catherine Martin spreading misinformation, the irony tho..... and she gets fact-checked for he trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Don't we have a few entities, ie well paid NGOs protecting us the citizens from mis or disinformation especially during elections? Who do you think would get charged, the politicians spreading blatantly untrue information, or the punter who ask's them "What is a woman?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I was wondering were there any Irish people in twitter's community notes team at all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

In summary to this referendum:

Nobody knows what we're actually voting for and the people who are pushing the referendum are just saying "Trust me bro".

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You've just made that up. Nobody at all said that "there won't be any extra funding going to carers unless the carers amendment is voted through"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

They've both claimed that if the ammendment is voted through it will give a mandate for funding care going forward. To me thats stating fairly clearly that if this isn't voted through there is no mandate for increasing funding for care.

How do you explain this statement that the referendum will put "a positive obligation on future governments to continue to work hard to provide additional state support for family carers, men and women, in the home and outside of it"

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yeah thats why it wasn't in quotes.

They have said that there will be no positive obligation to provide additional funding to carers going forward in case of a no vote what I can extrapolate from that is that they are saying there will be no mandate to provide more funding to carers if there is a no vote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

This is pretty damming in my opinion. O’Gorman,aside from clearly disrespecting the upper house, seems to be playing fast and loose with what normal democracy is. The public should have full insight into the rational.

He needs to answer the following questions?

What benifit is this change bringing for the government?

What benifit does it bring to the people’s(mothers) who’s constitutional protections are being removed and replaced with something that is essentially saying nothing.

If those two cannot be answered in 3 sentences or less each then why is the government only promoting a vote one way?

Post edited by thomas 123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Hate speech bill to police what people say.

A news presenter saying the public shouldn't have been made aware of all facts of a case.

A referendum where they don't trust us with the details and tell us to vote yes.

A Sunday newspaper with a big pull out from the leader of the country with lies and misinformation.

I won't even go into covid.

If you asked people to guess the country based off the above a few years ago, I'd say the majority would say China or Russia and very few if any would say ireland.

The sooner they are kicked out of government the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

The government say one thing proper esteemed legal minds like Supreme Court Judge and Michael McDowell say the opposite.

Constant incorrect statements from NGOs and Political type that don't seem to be tackled my the electoral commission.

kinda stinks

Constitution is fine as it is. Motherhood is an important role in society and should be respected even if the words of the constitution don't also match the actions of the state,.

I've seen nothing in the words of the amendment or the statements by the state to make me consider anything proposed is better than what we have.

I'll be voting No to both

Advertisement