Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭vafankillar

i'd imagine people who drive would be more inclined i guess, but i dont.

does that 8% include disabled & elderly people who are being scammed with a stealth tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭vafankillar

this is one of the weird aspects about it, people keep talking about how it's help keep the streets clean cos bottles/cans will be picked up to returned but littered bottles/cans are usually at least partially bent out of shape /damaged

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

you could have an air compressor with some different shaped caps attached for recombobulating damaged bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i feel you, i been making the exact same point over a week ago but no one ever has an answer/response to it here. People that discard their cans often have a habbit of squeezing it before throwing it out the car window, not sure why but i think its meant to help them throw it further, makes it easier to throw when smaller. It's a shame that it goes to waste. If the scheme accepted damaged cans or even gave as little as 5 cent back, THEN streets would be cleaner, because its impossible and unreastic when one thinks all the people discarding their cans on the road/streets will discard the cans in a perfect undamged condition. infact if a can a person is holding onto to get their deposit back, does get damaged, then it gives them more reason to throw away the now useless can as they no longer have a reason for holding onto it. so in effect the scheme not accepting damaged cans actually makes the environment worse in this sense.

But another puzzler that may interest you that no one here has been able to answer is this: if our target goal to reach by 2029 that has been forced on us by the EU has been set at reaching a recycle rate of 90% (aka 9 out of 10), then how can that goal even be possible if more than everyone 1 out of 10 people decide to keep recycling their bottles/cans at home, or just don't bother to bring them to an RVM? if more than every 1 in 10 people decide not to bother with going to an RVM = reaching 90% goal is impossible

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Option 2.

That is exactly what will happen. Nobody is going to continue on with their day out shopping, carry a can / bottle, get on public transport, walk home and keep that can / bottle in a bag until the next time they go to the shop.

I wish I could have been part of the planning meetings when this was being proposed with scenarios and use cases being discussed. Just to understand the level of ineptitude we have at government level. Its baffling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And if those items are charged the deposit, and not returned properly... that'll count against us reaching our 90% target.

The argument the scheme was setup for the majority of scenarios doesn't hold water when you need to get 90%. You can't afford to be losing the percentages from these scenarios, from deliveries etc by forcing people to go to larger places with RVMs to return correctly. Other countries seem to have more smaller manual return outlets.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

If you buy a can in a cafe to drink the can at the cafe, they should not charge you the deposit as you leave the can behind when you leave. The cafe then recycles the can. Same for pubs say that have Red Bull for mixers etc.

However- the cafe will be charged a deposit by their wholesaler, and it is up to the individual business whether they collect the cans and bring to an RVM, or simply pass the cost on to the consumer to cover it and recycle/dispose as normal. But that would be a price increase on the menu, not a separate deposit.

From the hospitality guidelines below, but I suppose "obligated" is doing some heavy lifting there... From a customer service point of view I can't see places asking customers to take their cans with them

"The hospitality sector is split between on-site consumption and off-site consumption. Businesses that predominantly cater for onsite consumption are not obligated to charge a deposit for in scope products. The rationale for this is that the empty containers remain on premises and are consumed on-site.  It is up to each establishment to determine whether or not to charge the deposit. If a deposit is charged, the consumer can take their container off site. If the deposit is not charged, then the business is responsible for collecting the containers and taking them to a Return Point Operator to reclaim their deposit."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I just can't see staff arguing over a 15c deposit with someone who has spent say €35 on food etc.

Also I suppose there is an Option 3 during the transition.

If the restaurant has old stock they can just hand it out with no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I would guess that 90% is a combined target of all recycling efforts.

I hope so, because if they are only counting Return items I think we could be in trouble. And there seems to be considerable debate about the accuracy of the current figures from other recycling efforts such as green bins.

• Advertisement

yeah sad to say it only counts for re-turn items, well re-turn's statistics on returned units. This is why when a person redeems the re-turn items for a deposit voucher at the RVM, they have to swap it for cash (or spend in-store for money off) at the store who's RVM you got the voucher from.

Other non-return recyclables we have no way of knowing percentage rates as there's nothing to track them, so they're intentionally being excluded due to being less profitable and not in re-turns interests in tracking.

Re-turn is basically the governments golden ticket/excuse/attempt to reach the target goal the EU overlords pulled out from their pocket. Irish government really got the wind put up them, when it was discovered that tomfoolery that goes on in how what ireland actually does with the recyclables people give. They had no numbers to show the eu and got caught with the pants down being greedy and privatizing recycling to private bin companies as a like a commodity. Bin companys just end up burning most of it or else selling it to 3rd world counteries and dumping some in landfills. Despite the average citizen being tricked into thinking they're doing a good job and that their recycling is actually being recycled when its not. System messed up and now we get punished for it essentially with this new deposit tax.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭con747

In a local Lidl yesterday. I can't wait for the wasp invasion.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

i'm eyeing up that bag of cans on the right. if it were me i woulda taken it and crush them down and hold onto, to sell to scrap yard for scrap aluminium. they're worth just under 2 cent each.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Gunner5

Maybe this has been asked in this thread already but what's the error when it can't read the barcode...

Oddly enough today I had a SuperValu branded bottle of water when I tried to put it in the return deposit machine in Dunnes I got an error saying " this machine doesn't accept this brand"

Most likely a dent or similar damage to the can has prevented the RVM from reading the barcode.

A container that you buy and pay a deposit on should be returnable at any RVM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Are 92% of our adult population drivers? Maybe they are

What stealth tax are you referring to exactly?

Did you pay the deposit on the bottle when you bought it? A lot of the supervalu branded bottles don't have the deposit in my local

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Gunner5

Ah maybe that's it. I hadn't thought to check whether it had or not but I'm betting it's as you say..cheers I'll check the next time I'm in it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

If it has no return logo yet, do you need a purchase receipt too or is it just put it into the machine as normal?

To thine own self be true

I have gotten a refund on a bottle that had no logo and was purchased pre deposit rollout. Seems to be all about the barcode.

You don't strictly need a purchase receipt but I think it's best to retain receipts because some retailers are charging deposits on items that are not returnable.

At least if you have receipt you have proof of what you bought and how much deposit was paid.

• Advertisement

To all the posters glorying in the antics of the littering blackguards in Glenageary.

The people who did that are your worst nightmare.

They are the type of people who would throw rubbish into your front garden and laugh at you when you come out to clean it up.

They'd dump their domestic rubbish all over the open spaces in your estate.

If you live rurally they would fly tip all over your back roads and ditches. Turn your fields into dumping grounds.

And you are supporting them ?

Wake up

• Registered Users Posts: 82,321 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it's all about recycling why couldn't the machines offer the user an option to accept zero deposit refund for your can/bottle if it's rejected as it's outside the scope of the scheme? The same scanning as currently is done by the machine to verify item is within scope but only step failing is the barcode so it could easily implement this.

The CA thread is closed so I moved my comment here per mods instructions.

I never posted in the thread you linked.

You ok with that ?

You posted it in both the C/A and A/H threads so I was just seeing if you wanted to go for the hat trick. You ok with that ?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I have explained why.

I think it's a reasonable explanation.

No interest in a hat trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,602 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the barcode is registered, you don't need a receipt, logo or no logo. You'll never need a receipt for in-scope items.

If the barcode isn't registered, you shouldn't be charged at all so you may want a purchase receipt if you're going to argue with the shop that charged you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭coolbeans

The fact that you can't crush plastic bottles is ludicrous. My bin would be full in a day if I didn't crush recyclables. When i do crush them it's full in a week or so. I simply don't have the space not to crush them. It's a **** up of a scheme and for this reason alone is destined to failure. The machines are effectively full of air and fill up in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭coolbeans

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement