Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I never said 2/3 were genuine.

I didn't put any figure on it, because without reliable information, to do so would be jumping to conclusions.

As an aside, poor reporting from the Examiner, it's not clear exactly what O'Gorman or Martin said and what's their own interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

"I never said 2/3 were genuine."

You said in the 2nd last post - "I'm quite sure plenty who apply for asylum do so knowing they don't meet the criteria"

I was only mentioning that nearly 2/3 weren't genuine and how many do you think were applying for asylum were doing so without knowing the criteria and actually well knowing they were trying to enter as economic migrants.

"As an aside, poor reporting from the Examiner, it's not clear exactly what O'Gorman or Martin said and what's their own interpretation."

They actually quoted what O'Gorman - ""We know about 40% of people who go through the international protection system are able to prove that they are being persecuted and they meet the criteria and about 60% of people don't meet those particular criteria."

So 60% couldn't prove been persecuted and didn't meet that criteria for asylum so what exactly were these folk trying to enter Ireland. If O'Gorman need's to keep the language neutral and not say economic migrants then I think the Examiner did it for him. I don't think the Examiner is anything of a right-wing newspaper.

Post edited by GetupyeaBowsie on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

@suvigirl No it isn't good! 😊

How dare they try to do an about face just to make the 'good citizens' happy?!

Like talking about building centres to house people instead of housing refugees in rented hotels all over the country or student or nursing home accomodation?!

Populism at its best, the cheek of them.. They don't fool us 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

There's well over 100,000 Ukrainians living in Ireland now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Roderic O'Gorman said this morning that 60% of asylum seekers are economic migrants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

A few weeks ago saying that would have had you labeled "far-right".

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

Post edited by GetupyeaBowsie on

• Registered Users Posts: 54,277 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's finally good to see something happening but the horse has already bolted

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LongfordMB

What it does say in that link of yours is that non Germans make of 40% of criminal suspects, despite being 12% of population. So their crime rate is 330% higher than the German average based on your own link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I believe it's 37%, I haven't had a proper look at it yet. I will.

Non Germans are everybody else, obviously. EU citizens included

What does that mean to you?

It doesn't say 50% of Algerians committed crimes in 2017 though, which is what the poster pretended was true, that was false.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

About time these changes of use are getting challenged. Hopefully we see more of this.

Leitrim County Council has issued High Court enforcement proceedings over a proposal to house some 150 international protection applicants at a former hotel in Dromahair village.

The local authority alleges Dromaprop Limited intends to change the use of its Abbey Manor Hotel from a “specific form of tourist accommodation” to temporary use for asylum seekers and has carried out unauthorised works in preparation for this change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have been saying this for twenty years, since the first wave of Nigerians came making bogus asylum claims.

I suggest the % is higher.

The vast majority of the 140,000 AS who have arrived here have made bogus claims.

It is some relief to me that at last, at long long last, the Govt admit it.

However, the costs imposed on taxpayers has been huge.

Roderic O'Gorman is at the heart of the asylum crisis, as he specifically invited claimants to come here.

Perhaps it's strong language, but I consider that action nearly treasonous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's not comparing like with like though. Immigrants are likely to be adult, reasonably young, fit and healthy, more likely to be working working class than middle class etc....the very cohort you would be expect to be committing crimes in any society.

If you wanted to compare like with like to assess crime rates, you would probably try and compare German working class males aged 18-40 with male asylum seekers aged 18-40.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LongfordMB

No, because the reality is it's mostly young men we will be getting so their higher crime rate is what we will be exposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Hilarious about face turn but also disgusting as he would have been front and centre labelling everybody far right that said the same thing until recently. But I'm sure the everybody's a really genuine asylum seeker crowd will ignore this anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

This will forever be routinely ignored though in favour of either (a) nah it's their culture or (b) sure, we have Irish criminals so why import more?

There is rarely an acknowledgement of the fact that native Irish people are now relatively highly educated / trained meaning they are now "moving up" the ladder within Ireland or, at the very least, when faced with an issue of not being able to do that at home they have reasonably good prospects of accessing labour markets elsewhere in the English speaking world or Europe.

As that space at the so-called "bottom" of the ladder empties, it is filled by migrants who will do the lesser jobs but, yes, as a poorer section of society there will invariably be crime and social problems. This has always been the way. Crime linked to class is ignored by many though, who prefer a view that it's all down to inescapable culture based on nationality or religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

100%. Many migrant workers and asylum seekers are likely to be on lower incomes than the 'native' population and living in poorer, deprived areas. This fact alone plus the age factor (they are often young adults) means the risk of them committing a crime is already increased when trying to compare them to the entire national population size of the country they are now in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

This is where the arguments become willfully disingenuous. Pretending that people who want to limit immigration want to stop ALL immigration. Ireland would surely be the only country in the western world if it were to follow such a policy. Many people want to limit immigration significantly, no sensible person wants to stop it entirely.

Thankfully it's a busted flush at this stage, misrepresenting people and labelling them as racist for wanting commonsense policies has failed. The overdue debate on immigration, which should have been had more than 20 years ago, can finally start now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

RTE reporting a new line this morning that there'll soon be no accommodation for women & children who come as asylum seekers, if places keep burning down.

Seems a pretty stupid spin to be feeding RTE. Openly implying this is a successful tactic, do they actually want to encourage more local protest and damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Holly Cairns is a total looper. I've never seen a person so totally out of touch with the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No I haven't missed your point at all - a combination of cutbacks, closures of local hospitals combined with increasing demands from population and advances in treatments has put the system under strain. Only a blind man cannot see that rising population is a factor, one factor but an important factor.

The big difference between the public and GP health system of 40 years ago and now is that then it was quicker & easier to access then, that it is now. Yes people still want quality care but it's very frustrating how long it can take to get basic appointments and checks.

Of course those with private health insurance have much readier access, particularly if they live in Dublin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

She sounds posher than Ivana… and is equally full of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

She is going to turn a lot of voters away from the Social Democrats. Very little choice for the electorate especially those who are floating voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The situation with hospitals in the Mid West shows the ostrich approach the Government have taken to population growth.

A previous FF government shut down the A & Es at Ennis, Nenagh and St John's in Limerick. It promised a centre of excellence in Limerick, but went ahead with the closures before the extra capacity in Limerick was ready.

By the time the extra capacity was ready it wasn't enough, and UHL has been a disaster area for years. And the population is still rising.

Recently some members of the Government have sought to blame the management of UHL for the situation. In reality the impact of the decision to close three A&Es, just a few years after mass immigration had begun, is the reason it's such a disaster.

And the Government are still making it worse. A particularly high number of refugees have been housed in Clare, for which the local hospital is UHL. It'll also serve the people housed in north Tipperary.

A number of people die every year because of the decision not to provide adequate hospital facilities for the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

The problem here though is that when people say "I don't want all immigration to be stopped but just want it to kept at manageable levels" it can often seem a very convenient and self-serving argument.

The point is — if you want immigration to continue in some form that still means having an immigration system that will be flawed and capable of being exploited. You still have to accept the complexities it brings and how those complexities grow over time. Let a migrant enter the country and live here under your perfect system then great, but you still have to deal with the complexities that develop — you still have to have a system of rights for them, they will have family which adds complexity, and the presence of a community of one nationality will entice others.

You still have to figure out how you deal with migrants who inevitably cheat the system or subsequently become unemployed or otherwise a burden. How do you actually effectively remove them from the country when deportations can often be practically difficult?

You also still have to contend with the reality that if migrants are needed to fill labour shortages at the "bottom end" of the job market — then you are also contending with the reality that these migrants will be poorer and their poorer communities will be more susceptible to criminality and social problems.

So sure, you want immigration but you want it to be manageable. But what downsides are you willing to accept?

I'll be voting for either them or SF depending on what candidate runs locally.

I don't agree with either parties take on immigration but...

a) I think we have far bigger issues in the country, and

b) I think FFG (or any other right but not far right candidates) will continue to oversupply the country with visa migrants with the wrong skills, and actually do very little deportation when it comes to it.

I strongly believe we need a shift to the left economically in the country. We need to get public delivery of housing working and a proper public health service. No right wing party, or candidate, will consider either.

I don't think there's anything racist in trying to limit migration, I'm actually for it myself.

It gets racist and prejudiced when some people start explaining why they want to limit migration.

Do you see that distinction?

The arguments that they're all bogus, or lazy, or criminal is where people start calling racism, and I think that's pretty fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

HC: "Ireland hasn't reached pre-famine population levels yet".

What, you want to pack entire families into single rooms?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement