Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervans in Marina area?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

The hand-wringing is a bit much.

Yes, there are a couple of campers there which have been there kinda semi-permanently. The vast majority are tourists parking for a night or else people coming down to have a cup of tea in the camper, go for a walk, maybe get a coffee from the van nearby, or else stroll up to Marina Market or into town.

Anytime I have been it's clean, there's no rubbish from campers around, and they only take up one parking spot (i.e. they don't park sideways).

This kind of hand-wringing is a bit much Sporina - you've said yourself there are no issues, to be fair. What's next, remove any benches along the Marina in case people sit on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I also sail in DL. Not many people turn up for regattas with camper vans for crew. Most visitors to our club are happy to sleep on board or in hotels/BB's etc. When visiting other clubs, including Howth, we have stayed on board.

There was litter and sewage issues in DL. Not all, or many, but some users. That's all takes.

It's unfair to label critics of camper vans over nighting in Howth or elsewhere as busy bodies etc.

What is needed in both locations, and elsewhere, are custom built pitches for campers with the required facilities for them. Obviously, these would cost more to stay in and may impact the popularity of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You're correct, not many people turn up to regattas in campers but some do.

There's no record of litter & sewage from campers in DL. The statement from Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown local authority cited other reasons, if there was cases of effluent this would be emphatically stated.

It's perfectly fair to accuse people critical of people parked up doing nothing wrong as busybodies.

Unfortunately that's not how Ireland works. When people complain and make up scurrilous stories because they don't like people in Campervan's, barriers are put up and it's ruined for everyone. There's no alternative arrangements made for the people in campers unlike other countries where aires are set up and the complainers will wonder in years to come did they do the right thing.

Post edited by John_Rambo on

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭mrpdap

There are regularly 10 / 12 campervans parked in the Marina carpark, they tend to stay there for a while rather than just an overnight. Some have on occasion parked across more than one parking space, and there are a few that are longer than a parking space so they stick out into the roadway. There are also a couple of caravans. There's a Facebook page to guide the campervans to the spot.

However, its not a campervan park, there are no facilities of any kind, its unclear how they are disposing of any waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I remembered this thread when I saw the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

That notice has a classic grammar mistake which significantly alters the meaning. It clearly hasn’t been run past a solicitor.

If you say, “no overnight parking will be allowed,” this means that it is permissible not to park there overnight. What they presumably meant to write was, “overnight parking will not be allowed.”

Back in the 80s when “no smoking” started to become a thing in local government offices in the UK, my uncle continued to smoke at his desk for months until they eventually replaced the badly worded “no smoking is allowed” sign. He told his boss that he agreed fully with the sign because nobody should be forced to smoke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Typical council policy. Some bad eggs so everyone loses out and they might have an alternative in the future. Rubbish.

Especially when you complain to the city council.

• Advertisement

i actually didn't think of it - didn't bother me that much I guess - but I can understand why people have done so..

Delete

Post edited by John_Rambo on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

First and foremost, you have no right to accuse anyone of being a coward, thats a personal attack and has no place on here.

Secondly if you think Sporina has single handedly achieved this then you are very wrong. I was chatting to my local councillor only last night. They have received nearly 100 complaints recently about the permanent status of some of the vans.

Only the other day, Corkbeo carried a story about a business owner living there for the past 12 months.

The park was only ever designed for short term, there are two or three parks for €10 a night available on the edge of Cork with full facilities.

Whilst I feel for those genuinely struggling; its a public amenity which was filled by vans. Unfortunately not all of the owners were fully responsible and according to my conversation last night, there has been photographic evidence of onboard toilet casettes being emptied into the Lee.

The council never objected to short term, but 12 months is residential.

Rules apply to everyone

Yeah, you're right. I got carried away. It's just exasperating that campervan owners to be punished because of busybodies. I love visiting Cork. The OP couldn't even pinpoint a problem, they just didn't like them… so some "problems" were created.

What I predicted in February happened: "When people complain and make up scurrilous stories because they don't like people in Campervan's, barriers are put up and it's ruined for everyone. There's no alternative arrangements made for the people in campers"

thats for the info opus - and now I got the answer to my Q..

glad now that people who wanna use the "greenway" cab park in the "greenway carpark"..

I think a few have spoiled it for the rest. I had a mate so down in his camper a few times a year en route to Killarney and it was great to visit them, glass of wine by the river, but now it's like a trailer park. Let's see what the council come up with a apparently they have a new location

I don't think a few have ruined it, it's over zealous enforcement meaning everyone gets affected instead of the few.

I used go wild camping in kerry years ago. Occasionally the council would show up and were sound about it. If you were messy, noisy or being difficult you were asked to move on. If you were being clean and kept to yourself then no issues.

I was down the same place last weekend and saw signs everywhere that bans all wild camping now, which is a shame.

Wild camping is fine, short term overnight is fine and both accepted by the council.

The issue is resident campers, 12 months isn't wild camping, plus if there's photographic evidence of toilet cassettes being emptied into the Lee close to where kids row, that's just not on

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/nowhere-go-owner-well-known-29207340

I understand that. But instead of enforcing the rules on people who are staying there for 12 months, they enforce a new rule on everyone instead. So everyone loses out.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭PreCocious

With circa 250 parking spaces there was never a case of them all being taken up by campers.

• Advertisement

never said "all"

and anyway - I created the thread - cos I knew it was wrong - action is now taken - case closed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I have seen loads of rubbish left after people "camping" (actually drinking with tents) around national parks and beaches and I can see why authorities aren't keen on it, because of a minority of tosspots.

I'd hazard a guess that a number of the full time campervans down on the Marina are there because of the accommodation crisis, not because they really, really like living in a van. It's desperation. I'd say the whingers are likely GAA heads or local John and Marys wanting a walk but too idle to walk from their house.

I think complaining about it is wrong, there's a cost of living crisis and a homeless crisis in the country. A business owner, someone who creates employment in the city has lost somewhere to park up now because of busybodies who aren't really bothered by it but still start threads and complain to the council. Maybe if you knew what it's like to set up a business and survive the first few years of start up you'd have kept your mouth shut.

Have you seen these photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭PreCocious

Re cassettes being supposedly emptied into the river.

Have we forgotten that storm drains empty into the Lee so whenever the council power wash the streets all that goes straight into the river? Have we forgotten that the Lee Swim participants are hosed down after the event ?

The river is far from clean and a couple of cassettes are not the problem.

There should be a managed campervan area in the city. The one is Cobh is a great success.

@John_Rambo I didn't complain to the council - as I have already said - but if I did, I would have no prob in saying so..

regardless of individual circumstances.. the "greenway carpark" is not a campervan parking area..

Maybe you should direct your energy into putting pressure on the council to get a designated campervan parking area up and running asap

It won't happen. As I explained previously, that's not how it works in Ireland. It's much easier to ban, stop, halt and appease the moaners than it is to build and improve.

That's almost a four hour walk to the city. The Marina car park is much closer to the city & much handier for tourists like myself who want to stay for a night or two and enjoy a restaurant & knock around the city for the day like the one close to me in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

Some were essentially living there. Owner of pizza place in barrack street in local media confirmed this, he is one of at least a few.

Advertisement