Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I used to be quite critical of the Conservatives when they'd back down from a losing battle but this isn't exactly an improvement.

It's just pure malice, plain and simple.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"Why are we picking a fight with a murdered teenager" is a real Ianucci style line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And emphasises, if it wasn't obvious already, the Tories have an inhumane view on trans people and the community is right to feel besieged and victimised by their own government. Their deaths nothing but political capital.

"Why are we picking a fight with the parents of a murdered teenager".

At least self awareness hasn't completely abandoned their rank, though I suspect they were drowned out by the vulgar, bigoted many.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Their inhumane views extend well beyond trans people IMHO. They know that this is one of the few remaining wedge issues they can play with, the other being immigration of course. Rees-Mogg, who is very much in the ascendant has openly stated his wish that rape victims be made to carry their attacker's baby to term.

I think the way they treat trans people and refugees is how they'd like to treat most of the population.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Liz Truss is releasing a book next month titled "10 years to save the West", about how to 'save' the west from woke lefties and provide strong, capable government.

Also, Liz Truss -

• Advertisement

All this shte going on but when the next election comes around it will be Labour as always that will come under the way more intense scrutiny in regards to the budgeting of their manifesto.

The "fiscally safe" right wing will get an easy ride as usual.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And take three wild guesses who is gonna get the blame when councils get into trouble due to these debts?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod note: Please report posts if you have an issue with them but there is to be no back seat moderation!

One post deleted

I wasn't going to share that here but yeah, she's either written a book or had someone from 55 Tufton Street ghostwrite it. Almost certainly the latter. I've no idea who would buy it. You're either on the libertarian train already or you're not. I doubt Truss has the intellect to convince anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nachouser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

As Minister for Refugees and Asylum seekers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Has it passed their notice that he's no longer an MP?

Why would anyone listen to advice from histories worst chancellor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Reminds me of Father Ted. "That's or best idea, another Johnson? That's it?"

Not like the Tories have any other ideas left at this stage? Problem with obsessing with casually breaking the economy, or attacking migrants or dead trans girls is it leaves little room for economic policy. And it's all they have now, especially as they seem to have given up any notion they can win the next election.

What else to they have? Johnson won in 2019, attained a sizeable majority and was kicked out so long ago that most people have probably forgotten who Chris Pincher is at this point.

Of course, the sensible route would have been to govern the country but they didn't choose that.

Indeed but making Johnson a peer and all that goes with that (including financial disclosures) may not appeal to him. Also two cabinet members from the Lords is gonna look a bit desperate

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They can't pay Johnson enough to replace the newspaper column he'd have to give up. And that's part of why he went in the first place.

He's broke and needs a huge income to cover his paternity payments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,288 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Good old Labour sabotaging themselves in Rochdale. Pure nuts.

• Advertisement

We'll I'm not sure Labour could have handled it any worse than they did, there is now no official Labour candidate in a cast iron Labour safe seat (I think he'd have seen off Galloway too, he might still see him off).

It's not ideal, but its a few months problem given there is a general election coming up.

They should have come out and disassociated from him far quicker but at least it is done.

Labour have withdrawn their support. The deadline for nominations has passed so they cannot change candidate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

By dropping him, they allow the Muslim voters to vote for him as a protest against the Labour position on Gaza, and for non-Muslim Labour voters - well who else will they vote for?

The Tories will hardly benefit since their position on Gaza will hardly attract Muslim voters. The lesser parties will hardly benefit.

If he wins, then what? He will hardly refuse to vote with Labour.

[Edit - corrected stupoid mistake]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I'd argue that this is a great opportunity for Labour and the UK. Labour are going to win the next election easily and they should now grasp this opportunity to tell anyone who think religious concerns trump what is best for the UK can find another party to be a member of an get rid of the influence of Islam within the party for good. Religion of any kind should have no involvement in the running of a country or in setting political agendas.

For people who think otherwise it is religious concerns influencing Muslims in the Uk regarding the Gaza situation.Muslims in the Uk were very quiet about the inhumanity inflicted upon Muslims in Syria and Yemen , I suspect because it was other Muslims doing it. They only have an issue with what is happening to people in Gaza because it is non muslims being inhumane to Muslims.If they were concerned about basic human rights they have been more appalled about Syria and Yemen but they weren't.

He'll be sat along one of the currently suspended Labour MPs. Corbyn, Abbot, Webbe, McDonald,Davies, Brown, Rees and McGinn.

Lots of Labour voters and members who are Muslims also have a problem with Israeli war crimes.

Trying to paint it as you do is the same as the Israelis who just go screaming "anti-semite" at everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

It isn't.

A lot of Muslims in the UK are only outraged because it's Israel doing it.If that isn't the case then where were the weeks and months of protests over what happened in Syria and Yemen in the past?

They never seemed to care as much when Muslims destroy countries in the middle east, there is nothing wrong with pointing out the hypocrisy of this position and pointing out that religion is having an influence on their opinions.

There were many people who are not Muslim (including myself) at those marches who have never been at a march about Yemen, in fact most people are those marches are not Muslim. Truth is nobody gives a **** about Yemen.

Why does Palestine get way more media coverage, way more discussion on social media. Is it because of all the Muslims in the media and on places like Boards ?

• Advertisement

This is just another tedious whataboutery argument. It's like me asking you what marches you went to and accusing you of supporting atrocities when you answer "neither".

Advertisement