Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scotland vs France

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Your could say that about many players Dillane, Farrell, Jackson, Goggin, JJ pre Connacht are just a few which many Irish fans would still keep an eye on when they are playing outside Ireland

Healy is unique as he went to find an international cap elsewhere. Scotland are too dependent on Russell and Healy is an unknown he could have made the difference yesterday. And he would imho slotted that drop goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,466 ✭✭✭✭phog

I fail to see how what the point of discussing him is.

You write this just after you write a paragraph on him 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭OldRio

Anyway...... The thread title is Scotland v France. Uninspiring muck. The French attack was basically one off runners bulldozing it up the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,435 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It can be an on field decision/ A referee can use their discretion just like anyone else and sometimes (like yesterdays situation) make a decision that he/she 'just doesn't know - can't tell and need the tech.

It's a decision to be fair and do the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭standardg60

The TMO was asked about grounding, you're adding two questions that were neither asked or discussed.

The TMO literally says it's grounded, Berry is about to change his decision based on that, before the TMO stutters and says he's going to look again. For me if Berry had agreed and said he saw the grounding too the TMO wouldn't have interjected, but Berry put it all on the TMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That image doesn't show grounding.

(And for the record, I think it's pretty clear the ball was grounded on or over the line, but the whole point of the discussion is that there isn't an angle that definitively shows this. There's an angle that shows it grounded but not by whom, there's an angle that shows it over the line but you can't see the grounding, but they're not the same angle and that's the problem)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Augme

The problem is the TMO doesn't know where the ball is grounded or if it was grounded because it was dropped. The TMO should have stated that while he feels it was grounded, he doesn't have conclusive video evidence that it was grounded on or over the try line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yes I agree he could or should have stated that, it was a mess all round and Berry should have been more opinionated.

It was a bit of a mess, which I was surprised at. I would have thought the first think you'd be taught as a TMO in situations like this is the concept of clear evidence of the ball being grounded on or over the line. I wonder if the TMO got a word from someone he was sitting with about needing clear evidence. His change of mind was fairly sudden, or maybe it just dawned on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yep, TMO seemed to change his mind and that was the biggest mistake. We were all convinced at one point that the try would be awarded. Then he pulled back after watching the same footage. Stick to your decision TMO.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭tmc1963

Especially when he had actually reached the right decision to award it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,270 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Does the ref not often change his mind based on replays on the screens, without the TMO getting involved or am I imagining it?

Didn't it happen last night for JGP's "try" at the death?

I think "benefit of the doubt" should kick in here, team going forward should deffo get BOTD in situations like this.

Its also shows how crap the current "held up" laws are. You shouldn't lose possession in situations like this IMO.

The ref blew the whistle and said "held up". The TV images that we see don't stop at when the whistle was blown, we don't know who grounded the ball, when was it grounded, was it over the line, was there double movement, was there a knock on. Look, if it happened to my team I'd be annoyed but once the ref said "held up" the TMO and the Ref had to have a clear and obvious try to award it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i get where youre coming from with this, and you are 100% correct, but i have a problem that the TMO never goes back to the ref and says:

"are you happy that: (1) the ball carrier hasnt been stripped; (2) there ball was always over the line"

(the other two of "was there a knock on / double movement" is actually only something the TMO can confirm under question by the referee and must be clearly evident ie you have to reverse your on field try decision because there was a knock on / double movement)

so dealing with the former two questions, why cant the TMO ask those questions in the deliberation? Hey Nic, i can see the ball on the ground, but can you confirm that the ball carrier never lost possession (query 1) and the placing of the ball was never short (query 2)

as to when the whistle was blown, its my understanding they can sync up all replays so that any off shot action can be assessed in real time

so rather than the TMO using the excuse, well i cant be sure that ball is over / on the line or whether the ball carrier was striped and a defender grounded, the referee can still remain the arbiter of those questions.

im kinda asking this hypothetically rather than at anyone specifically. Why doesn't the conversation run to cover these scenarios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

This is a very fair point.

Contrast this 'On Field Try / No Try' protocol with the Foul Play protocol where the Referee asks his officials team, incl TMO if they agree (I'm aware they seldom don't concur) having gone through a much lengthier assessment.

But didnt the ref overrule himself for the JGP try for Ireland?

He saw the replay and it was clearly lost while grounding. If he can change his mind by looking at a TV screen, why cant he not change his mind just because he has asked the TMO?

If the TMO says "nothing 100% obvious" but the ref feels that on reflection, his initial call was wrong, then surely he should be allowed to change it. Its a ridiculous hole in the laws if he can only change his mind as long as he doesnt bring in the TMO.

Does the ref not also need clear and obvious evidence to overrule themselves when looking at the video evidence? I don't know if going down the road of letting the ref change their mind "on reflection" or based on probability is good for the game.

He can change his mind but he's looking at a big screen from afar, it's easier to see an obvious knock on than any of the things I listed that might have happened or the touch down happening after the whistle had gone.

I agree with Syd, the conversation between the two of them could have been better but that doesn't mean they made the incorrect decision

• Advertisement

He doesn't need anything external to overrule himself.

As for not being good for the game, the match was already paused while this went on, IMO awarding the "obvious" try is better for the game than being correct on a laws technicality.

Do you think the ref would have asked for a reason NOT to award the try had he seen the replay before asking the TMO? Based on the conversation they had, I think the answer to that is clearly "YES!" so, for me, that makes the decision wrong.

For me, if the player gets the ball on the grass over the line, then unless there is something to 100% say it wasn't grounded, then award the try.

Far better for the game, in the absence of definitive proof either way, give BOD to the attacking team and everyone just move on.

I dont think we would have heard a word of complaint from France had the try been awarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Show me where you have an image of that ball touching the line or the ground beyond the line.

They're eating the DOGS!!!

Donald Trump 2024

why is that in question?

the referee said the ball was held up.

the ball cannot be held up if it is in the field of play, therefore the ball HAD to be over the line.

Can you explain how the ball couldnt have been touching the ground on/beyond the line, based on the images we all saw? The ball clearly was on the boot and then dropped off it....onto what? A stray choc-ice?

Show me that same image you require but for every other try that was awarded the last two weekends?

If your argument is that every other try is perfectly clear then I am going to disagree with you.

Even Fickou's try, can you guarantee that the ball touched the ground and that it wasn't just his hand/arm on the ground before he slid into touch?

Did anyone ask to check it?

How about Sheehans try? No way the ref saw that amongst the pile of bodies but he blew and awarded anyway. In the below still you can see his arm out as he blows the whistle, no sign of the ball from his angle though, there are 2-3 Irish bodies in the way at least.

Or how about Lowe's try?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I was sitting behind the posts for those two - in both cases you could clearly see the ball grounded from our viewing angle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dero

The reverse angle showed the grounding quite clearly anyway. It's a bit disingenuous to post pictures of tries which had other angles explicitly showing the grounding. For the Scottish non-try, every angle was examined (and even more so since), and nothing conclusive was found. Like most, I think it was probably grounded, but there is not enough video evidence to overturn the on-field decision.

Sure, but the ref awarded it before any AR had a chance to comment. I have no issue with the try btw.

The entire point is that the ref didnt look at ANY replay angles before awarding those tries!

He also awarded the JGP try despite it clearly being knocked on, so obviously he didnt have a good view yet still awarded it in real time.

If he can change his mind about the JGP try, why not the Scottish one?

• Advertisement

No, and he didn't look at any replays before calling held-up in the Scotland game either. He called it as he saw it live and neither himself nor the TMO subsequently found enough evidence to overturn it. The same applies to the Irish tries above, but it's a lot less dramatic because the tries were clearly scored. I'm pretty sure every try is checked in the background by the TMO and it would be called back if there was an issue - e.g. the disallowed Henshaw try.

You mean the opposite angle to the referee who awarded it in real time, instantly after the ball was touched down?

Please read my posts lads, I'm not arguing that these other examples are not tries, my point is that the ref awarded them when clearly he didnt and couldnt have seen the grounding.

If the only avenue open once the Ref goes to the TMO is "Prove me wrong with 100% certainty" then the on field decisions should always go with the attacking team and should be that the try was scored unless something proves contrary.

So there wasnt a great big Scottish hand on it to take it off the boot?

Yes, I know thats what happened, my point is that its a stupid law and that the BOD should go with the attacking team unless proven otherwise.

"Is there any reason why I cannot award the try" Simple.

I get what you're saying, but in this case the referee believed the ball was held up. Are you saying he should go against that belief and award the try anyway pending evidence to the contrary? Does that not neuter his on-field authority?

It moved backwards on the replay.

Show the picture proof that the ball touched the line or the ground ahead of the line.

It's a simple ask. If they have proof they can change on field, if not they can't

Donald Trump 2024

Again, there was zero question as to whether the ball was in goal or not. You're trying to introduce a factor to the situation which was not there.

The question was was there clear evidence that the ball wasn't held up, as per the referees decision. There wasn't enough clarity for the tmo to change the on field decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭ersatz

He may have seen a grounding if people in the stands saw it for those other tries. In the Scotland case no-one saw the grounding and no-one can say for certain that there isn't a hand underneath the ball in all the clips examined. Its unfortunate but no way anyone can say a try was definitely scored which is what's needed to overturn the onfield decision.

I don't think the ref should be using inconclusive video to overrule himself though. He had the best position to see and was the closest one to the action.

The ref felt the ball was held up. So he did feel there was a reason not to award the try, so doesn't seem like a question he should be asking in that scenario.

Grounding check means was it beyond the try line when touching the ground. It was held up in one position, then moved.

The TMO has zero leeway there. They can not see a grounding after the movement

Donald Trump 2024

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You’ve no idea what the referee did or didn’t see - we don’t have ref cam anymore!

Either way, in both cases he saw enough to form the opinion a try was scored. And as the TMO didn’t have any evidence to show or even suggest that the referee was definitely incorrect in either case then the on-field decision didn’t even warrant a review.

On Saturday, the referee saw enough in real time to believe the ball was held up. The TMO had enough to suggest there might be a problem; but not enough to show it was definitely incorrect. The referee’s role is to call the game as he/she sees it. That’s the fundamental principle across all levels of the game. So if it can’t be shown to be definitely incorrect then the on-field decision has to stand.

Allowing referees to fudge making their initial decision because they can toss responsibility to the TMO undermines the role of the referee.

There was multiple bodies piled up. There was no way of knowing if the ball came off the boot and who was moving it and how.

Did a Scottish player push the ball carrier forward but with no control of the ball?

As for the Irish tries, the AR for the Lowe try is perfectly placed, likewise the AR for Sheehans is too and they routinely would give a thumbs up to the ref to indicate they have a grounding.

In addition to the 'soft' signal from the nearest AR, the Ref has the TMO in his earpiece. Just because we don't see or hear their confirmation doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

He might have been closest but that doesnt mean the best angle, hence the TMO.

It was obvious to me that the ref thought he was wrong during the replays and was about to award the try until the TMO went into the "I cant prove you wrong so you have to stick with your on field decision"

But I gave multiple other scenarios where the ref awards the try without any ability to be sure of it but he does it anyway and assumes the TMO or AR will over rule if needed. Why not just make that the default behaviour? Whats wrong with "is there any reason I shouldnt award this try"?

Ah come on. You can clearly see from the stills that the ref has no view of the ball being grounded. The physically has no way of seeing the ball if there are bodies in front of him.

Clearly yesterday he tossed responsibility to the TMO? HE should award the try unless its obviously not a try and let someone overrule him if he is clearly wrong, like he did for the examples I posted the stills from. He 100% had no way to see the ball grounded from his position. Probably they were grounded (and from other angles we can see that they were) but why use "probably" some times and not all times?

Sure, but not in the timeperiod between the balls being grounded and the ref blowing his whistle. (in the examples I posted)

The ball didnt go forward, it moved sideways off the boot?

'The TMO’s opinion was that the replays didn’t show clearly the ball being grounded; but they also didn’t show that it wasn’t, so where was it? It looked down to me, and no reasonable doubt existed to cancel out the try. Surely, these very tight situations should be treated in the same way as a penalty try, on the basis of probability. Common sense, dare I say.' - Owen Doyle in the Irish Times today

Imho Doyle is hanging out TMO Brian McNiece & Ref Nic Berry to dry here.

Maybe a Law change is needed to avoid these situations, but with the present Laws the officials had no choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭irelandrover

But the ref saw it held up. You want him to ignore what he saw and go with what might have happened.

If the ref saw nothing then you might have a point but in this case he saw it held up.

The Scottish player actually carrying the ball should have celebrated. You can see all the France players celebrate the ball held up and the Scottish players not celebrating. That definitely paints a picture in the refs mind.

• Advertisement

• This isn't even the Laws. Their decision is covered by the "Television Match Official TMO) Protocol" document. The first guiding principal of the protocol is that the referee remains the lead decision maker. That pretty much covers this situation. Once Nic Berry thought the ball was held up he'd made the only common sense decision available.

No amount of cameras will give us the most accurate decisions possible without creating contentious outcomes like this.

Advertisement