Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd like to think functional federalisation would remove or reduce the ability of single states to veto decisions made at the Federal level; ATM the moment it makes sense while the EU is this loose-but-communal collection of states pulling together - and certainly we've used that veto to our benefit in the past, so I'm not ignorant of that particular detail - but in my head a USE would defer more working power to the Brussels parliament & whatever further executive bodies formed as part of reducing the democratic deficit.

Clearly in any state, federalised or not, there's an upper limit to how much control or influence single counties, regions can dictate "national" policy; we don't let Kerry influence national policy (well, notwithstanding the power of independent TDs) and full federalisation would, in theory, reduce the ability for bad actors like Orbán from holding up a USE's national policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The last line is incorrect. Just look at the way the USA is structured. Replace states with EU countries and you've something similar. Plenty of bad actors there holding stuff up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well no, I don't think you can use the USA to prove anything except its own dysfunction. Not least cos whatever shape the USE would take, we'd not be copying things like the electoral college system, and it'd be unlikely we'd end up with the lobbyist controlled duopoly that goes on there. Not to mention the not-insignificant factor that demagogues and theatrics play in government. In fact more realistically, we'd probably end up with the opposite and about a half dozen "parties" creating coalitions - and potential deadlock in its own. But I don't think we'd be strangled by a bunch of Orbáns or a EU-MAGA equivalent dictating what can or can't be done in Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I don't follow. The US haven't had 10mil illegal immigrants enter the US under Biden's tenure. There was a border bill which was dismissed by the GOP.

A strong US, needs a strong Europe and a strong Europe needs Ukraine to prevail.

It's just nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vswr

It makes sense if you ignore all those real world factors and just look at numbers on a spreadsheet, which are filtered with "Born in USA".

In what respect? Not sure a noted right-wing senator espousing The Great Replacement conspiracy theory has much to contribute here. For sure we know the MAGA crowd are hell-bent on stopping Ukrainian aid, this guy's rant is only confirming what we know about their demagoguery.

The MAGA movement is anti-intellectual to the extent that its adherents are racist, bigoted idiots to a man (and woman). But the senator is representing Ohio, a state utterly removed from the Mexican border yet worried the brown people are coming. Go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

France uncovers a vast Russian disinformation campaign in Europe (economist.com)

We really need to close down their spying and lying HQ at Orwell Road.

@pixelburp "In what respect? Not sure a noted right-wing senator espousing The Great Replacement conspiracy theory has much to contribute here. For sure we know the MAGA crowd are hell-bent on stopping Ukrainian aid, this guy's rant is only confirming what we know about their demagoguery."

Long term, population depletion has consequences. Even short term. Russia's population is decreasing by 700,000 per year. Not to mention those being killed in Ukraine - that's another 300,000. Likewise with Japan and most western countries. There are endless ramifications from this that affect current policy in all countries.

Our population isn't dropping at the rate it has increased however AFAIK, and giving credence or platform to the Great Replacement racists isn't particularly conducive to sensible debate on the topic either. Certainly Japan's a singular example given it has had a low birthrate for a long while, coupled with a minuscule inward migration policy.

By all means I think a great amount of our problems, from lack of vital services (like childcare, police, health pros etc), to food supply to conflict come down to the fact that the world population went from 4.4 billion to 8 billion and growing since I was born in 1980 - but bigotry over brown people "invading" one's country isn't either part of the problem or solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Hopefully sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Sounds like something from the Great War. Would be shame if there was an unfortunate 'accident' on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭jmreire

What else can you expect from a Country where its own women will not bring babies into the World???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

If that was the case America would be a pariah state too, no??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

The real issue to be overcome in the house is Mike Johnson. He's already signalled that he's not keen. And if he doesn't schedule the vote then it will never occur.

He's been making noise again that he wants border control measures as part of this. However the 4 month long highly conservative negotiated border control + foreign aid failed in the senate last week. Astoundingly voted against by the very republicans who negotiated the bill. Utter madness. But that's the Republican party under the influence of Trump for you. And Johnson was against it before the details of the bill were even revealed. So it's pretty obvious that Johnson is just kinda doing what Trump wants.

So this leaves a few options.

1. Johnson is removed by a vote of no confidence and replaced by someone who will bring the bill to the floor. This would require a vote by 3 republicans who are not afraid of Trump or his MAGA cohort. Funnily enough there's been a few house republicans who are strongly pro ukraine that have recently announced they won't be running for their seats again in November. So they'd be immune to the Trump threat. https://twitter.com/cathymcmorris/status/1755670100038816171 , https://twitter.com/RepGallagher/status/1756389895096918262. At which point some cohort of the democrats would need to offer a vote of no confidence protection to the next speaker. They didn't do this for Kevin McCarthy and in my opinion that was an enormous mistake. But I don't know how likely this whole scenario is.
    2. Something called a discharge petition. Where all the democrats and either 3-5 house republicans,(I think, depending on how many democrats of the 218 they'd lose) would be needed to basically force the issue to the floor past Johnson. Democrats have said they're considering this move and some Republicans have also made noise that they'd support it. It would be quite rare and these things don't work very often. It would also be highly embarrassing for Johnson but weirdly be the out that he'd need to avoid losing his speaker position and have plausible deniability to stop Trump killing his career in the primaries.
    3. Johnson calls the vote due to senate pressure. Probably won't happen.

As far as I've read these are the options available. But then I'm not political expert either so take everything I say with a grain of salt. There's enormous pressure to get this bill passed but also substantial opposition. I do think if it makes it to the floor for a vote it'll get enough votes. But getting there will be the real battle. So fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Paddigol

What a bizarre post. I'll leave it there, not worth trying to have the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

This is the big one, every finger I have crossed it passes the house. Will be a huge shot in the arm for Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I really hope the new aid is passed soon, but I am unfortunately still pessimistic.

(As you imply) Trump ultimately sets the Republican party agenda, and I mean their (Manchurian!) candidate recently said publically he would throw the mooching Europeans (and by extension the Ukrainians) to the wolves, let Putin work his will. The Republicans as a collective seem to be...well...okay with that really.

Doesn't look like the elected Republicans in the US will expend political capital this year to oppose what Johnson is doing, or this dangerous stuff Trump is coming out with, so it must fit with what a big portion of the party base believes now. Silence and doing nothing gives consent. I am an 80s Cold War child, and it is incredible to me, though I suppose the earlier history (mid to late 1930s and early WW2 period) shows this kind of political current is not unprecedented for US politics.

I think Ukraine (and Europeans) should be planning for the aid not to come through till post the next US election. I am of course assuming the Democrats win it there. I suppose even if they don't, there may be more open battle betwen the factions inside the Republicans over the issue, with the US election out of the way. There is serious disagreement among them on Ukraine, but seemingly not enough will there to go hard against Trump, and support the Biden admin. goals in an election year.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Just browsing recent articles on Novoya Gazeta.

Here are some snapshots as a country collectively loses its mind and descends further into totalitarianism:

Imagine if all of those cranks on twitter who get offended by everything suddenly had the power to get people arrested on trumped up charges. That seems to be what is happening right now in Russia. A bunch of ghouls looking for excuses to throw others to the wolves so that they can feel like they are doing their part (without actually going off to fight in the war of course.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭eire4

Thats because no law can be passed in the US unless it passes all 3 branches house, senate and president who then signs the law. The senate is inherently an undemocratic institution which is weighted in favour of small population states which tend to be very conservative against the bigger population states and thus a build in bias in favour of conservatism is part of their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭political analyst

If the US leaves NATO and Russia then invades at least one eastern NATO member state to start with, Russia would have enough nukes to wipe out western and central Europe many times over but Britain and France would not have enough to do anything more than destroy a few cities in western Russia at most. Would Mutually Assured Destruction be redundant in that case?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement