Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

He's the muppet that sent out those tweets in eight languages telling the world and his wife to come over here, no problem they'd get their own door accommodation within four months. Don't believe a single word he or this regime says. They're only trying to shore up their support for the upcoming local, European and general elections. I saw someone say that anyone who votes for them is voting for a worse future for our children and grandchildren, and honestly, I find it hard to disagree.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Does anybody else get a feeling that we are in austerity?

Why is that, we are told our economy is great and we have all this surplus revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

"I don't agree with either parties take on immigration but..."

What is your take on immigration ? At the moment it's pretty much in shambles.

"I strongly believe we need a shift to the left economically in the country."

Absolutely insane, how more left economically can we go with most of our budget on social welfare, HAP, medical cards, etc...

"No right wing party, or candidate, will consider either"

On housing and public health, you'll think SF and the SD will wave the magic wand and reconstruct hundreds of thousands of house and the HSE,

If anything they'll allow more bogus people into the country, they are pro migration and open boarders. So how will that help housing ?

On health services, you think SF & SD will stand up towards the public service or completely overhaul the HSE without trade unions striking ??

I don't trust SF or the SD on anything immigration wise same with FFG, Greens...

The state building houses isn't a solution. Any houses they build will just get filled up quickly and we'll be right back to the same problem. What is needed, is a plan to create a functioning housing market, this is a different animal and not one of the left parties have any competency in that.

"The arguments that they're all bogus, or lazy, or criminal is where people start calling racism, and I think that's pretty fair."

Oh please enlighten us MegamanBoo, is bogus a racist term now? absolutely deluded!

You said racist around 3 times there in your last reply, so many straws been clutched I can hear them break!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

But, but... but it's the 'far right' who are opposed to immigration. How does FG / FF/ etc fit in there with your views above?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yep, stick all in little cabins and botháns built of mud and roofed with scraws. That's how people lived then and well into even recent decades - 8, 9, 10 kids in two and three roomed cottages. The more the merrier, keeps you warm at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

A very good question, and I suspect we'll start hearing about that after the general election, whenever that is.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

This is a weird post.

You are expecting left wing parties to INCREASE deportation orders? Good luck with that.

What is the wrong type of visa that FFG are currently issuing?

Social home targets are being met by the current govt. They are robbing houses from the private sector, sure, but they are hitting the numbers.

How do you expect the Soc Dems or SF to magically deliver extra new homes annually, on top of the 35 thousand that will be delivered this year?

To put that in context, we will build the same number of homes this year as there are in the whole of Galway City...

We did almost the same number last year.

There are apartments going up all over Dublin.

Granted, we want to see more, but we are delivering a cities worth of housing every 12 months.

Quote from Gavan Reilly on X

"And then there were nine: Wexford’s Paul Kehoe is the latest Fine Gael TD to opt out of the next general election; that’s over a quarter of the party’s 2020 TDs (35 elected) who have now decided not to contest the next one"

Rats are jumping ship, they've read the room and completely rightly so are not contesting at the absolute shitshow they've run the country into.

• Advertisement

Are they exiting politics altogether or moving to other parties do we know?

For context, FG are still likley to be in govt after the next election.

They're "not contesting". I'd imagine they are not running all together unless any one of nine decides to run IND?

"For context, FG are still likley to be in govt after the next election."

I really hope not, the most arrogant group of people that'll sell this country and it kids future to the best bidding vulture fund.

Some may go Indie, yes.

At least FFG have gotten some things right, notably the economy and housing is progressing.

Asylum Immigration seems to be tightening.

I dont see SF improving any of those metrics. In fact, I see them pushing us backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I think it is just a normal cycle really. FG have been in government since 2011 and it is going to take a toll. In fairness Kehoe has been in the Dáil since 2002. In my opinion we should have limits on how long someone can serve as a TD to keep the Dáil from going stale both in government and opposition. Micheal Martin has been there was decades now and we can see how out of touch he is, but this is for another thread.

"At least FFG have gotten some things right, notably the economy and housing is progressing."

FG had 13 years in power and completely sold us out, that's in their DNA. You're either very rich, connected or completely deluded to vote for FG!

"Housing in progressing", come on BlueSkyDreams wake up...

Im not an FG voter, but the current govt have helped deliver one of the strongest economies and job markets in the world, relative to population.

Thats a success in anyones book.

over 30k homes were built last year and likley over 35k this year.

That is equal to building Galway City every 12 months...We are not building nothing, though more can be done.

SF would likley reduce the number of new builds, as they are anti investment funds, whom finance the majority of developments.

If you want to see more homes being built, SF is the last party you should be voting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Where do you that from??? That I expect left wing parties to increase deportation???

After that I think FFG are issuing too many visas for IT, Pharma, Barista's etc in proportion to how many are issued for essential services such as healthcare or construction.

I don't think SF or SD have been clear enough in their plans for housing, but I think a shift to the left will bring us closer to a point where we can have public and private delivery of houses working side by side.

To do so, and to get any increase in housing we need to attract and train more skilled workers. I had to laugh at FFG proposals for doing so yesterday... a whopping 3/4 of a million to be spent on advertising for construction workers to come home. Nothing to tackle why young people aren't attracted to the industry, or where migrant construction workers, whether returning Irish or not, might actually live. Hopeless.

We need to look at making construction work a more viable career. To do so might involve raising wages for the guys actually doing the work, looking after people who get injured on the job etc, no right wing party's gonna touch that are they?

What's a shift to the right going to do, let the bodies pile up in the Mediterranean?

I'd also advocate that any reasonable solution to migration should involve tackling the push factors.

I believe we should be using our voice internationally to push for a UN mk2. One with the power economically first, then militarily, to tackle violent regimes and stop people fleeing war and persecution.

This UN mk2 should also be able to tackle the biggest polluters, provide safer refugee camps closer to home when wars do occur, clamp down on tax havens, and bring significant consequences to western businesses who engage in corrupt or inhumane practices in the global south.

It's a big ask, but I believe that's the long term direction we should be taking to tackle the worlds immigration problems.

Jezus H Christ what a dystopian nightmare.

Power corrupts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Two Ukrainian men late 30s/early 40s were arrested last August in letterkenny for selling cigarettes out the back of their car. When arrested they had over 8000 counterfeit cigarettes and €5,395 in their possession. The case concluded yesterday, they were both giving suspended sentences.

They are currently residing in Bundoran in separate apartments compliments of us mugs . I stayed in one those apartments mentioned a few years back, lovely balcony and sea view. They’re both also on the dole. So you can come here and sponge the fck out the place and engage in criminality and not only face zero consequences but still get your life completely funded for free. We’re absolute idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Washing their hands early of it more like.

Make no mistake, each and every one of them thrived on greed while they could.

Time for them to exit early now in case paddy Irishman does any finger pointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

But a large majority are bogus. Roderic O Gorman said 60% are economic migrants, which makes them bogus as they shouldn't be abusing the asylum system in that case. Is Roderic O Gorman racist to you? Also, the reality is very likely to be much higher than 60% are economic migrants, probably closer to 95% or 99%, based on the fact there is no war or civil strife in majority of major countries of origin.

Nothing, but there's trade implications if they don't meet human rights conditions.

After that I think it's something we have to get to on consensus. League of Nations and UN mk1 both seemed outrageous until the horrors of war made the case for greater co-operation too compelling to ignore.

Hopefully we can get there without the catastrophe beforehand this time.

"What's a shift to the right going to do, let the bodies pile up in the Mediterranean?"

Do you always call racist and or emotionally manipulate in every comment you post here.

It's always they're racist or now "let the bodies pile up in the Mediterranean".

Have you investigated whats actually happening with the Mediterranean crisis - Human traffickers are making a huge amount of money putting people on rubber tubes into the Mediterranean. If we continue to facilitate war-ship pick ups a few miles off the African coast the more the crisis continues.

Human traffickers are the problem with the Mediterranean crisis.

"believe we should be using our voice internationally to push for a UN mk2. One with the power economically first, then militarily, to tackle violent regimes and stop people fleeing war and persecution.

This UN mk2 should also be able to tackle the biggest polluters, provide safer refugee camps closer to home when wars do occur, clamp down on tax havens, and bring significant consequences to western businesses who engage in corrupt or inhumane practices in the global south."

I agree with some of the ideas. The UN is completely toothless, a talk shop, I wish otherwise.

When you have the likes of Iran and S.A on the UN Human rights council, all trust is lost with the UN!

Post edited by GetupyeaBowsie on

It's not clear from the article that he said that, or that 60% didn't meet the criteria. As I've pointed out already there's a world of difference between not meeting the criteria and being 'bogus'.

Persecution is a valid reason for seeking asylum, that happens plenty outside of wartime situations.

They can increase Visas to cover all roles, but obviously staff from the EU can come visa free to take up posts in construction.

I wouldnt decrease visas for IT, Pharma etc though. That is just going to make us unattractive to the MNCs.

There is no reason why FFG cant put more funding into housing but also no evidence of how SF or SD would do things any differently.

As you say, they havent explained nor costed what they would do differently, so at the moment, their case is nought.

Remember that 35k homes will be built this year. Thats the equivalent of building all the houses in Galway City from scratch. No mean feat.

Almost the same number was achieved last year at 33k.

The needles are moving in the right direction, but there is more to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement