Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

I'd agree about Timoney. The way Munster play now Coombes should develop past him. He's arguably already there. Having some fit locks at Munster might help him focus on eight rather than training/playing out of position.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

"Im not i think hes absolute class he just doesn't fit what andys trying to do doing better than any other international coach"

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Thats fine iv not once critasised andy or coombes im not sure what words your trying to put in my mouth here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

It will be intriguing to see how his career plays out. Clear as day Gleeson is going to become a senior International and sooner rather than later.... than 6N '25.

Both Ahern and Gleeson may both get capped before Coombes gets another cap.

And now there is Sean Edogbo coming through!

8s 8s 8s!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Really hard to see where Coombes will fit in at Munster never mind Ireland. Gleeson and Ahern will be nailed on at 8 and 6 and then you’ve Edogbo, Kleyn, Beirne with Dillane potentially coming in at second row. Realistically looking at a rotation option at lock or 8

• Advertisement

Id say coombes is vital to munsters ball retention. Hell start over ahern for sure.

I dont like projecting lads from 20s as internationals gleeson looks fantastic but let him work away and develop at his own pace id say he has plenty of work ons yet which is no harm at 20s

And kendellans only 22 yet also himself and quinn are possibly better prospects than edogbo. Though edogbo looks very athletic for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Not an attempt to 'put words' in your mouth, but saying 'trying to do' instead of for example 'is doing very well' doesn't reflect how successful (aside from our WC exit) Farrell has been.

Followers supporting their favoured players ambitions have a stronger argument if the coach of their team 'is trying' rather than 'is doing well'.

Borthwick, Gatland, Galthie, Townsend and Quesada are all 'trying'. Farrell is succeeding.

'Is trying' is fairly common parlance for this im not sure why your digging into it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

At least in the short-term, Conan is more immediate danger of his Leinster place. In fact, hasn't be lost out at times to Baird both this season and last in the Champions Cup, and also allowing Doris place in his best position?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I hear you. However!! Gleeson is going to be the youngest back row to get capped since...

?Ken Goodall (12th Feb 1947) - 1st Cap v Aus, 21st Jan 1967, Aged 19

?Fergus Slattery (12th Feb 1949) - 1st Cap v SA, 10th Jan 1970, Aged 20

?Rhys Ruddock (13th Nov 1990) - 1st Cap v Aus, 26th June 2010, Aged 19

????Brian Gleeson (5th Feb 2004) - 1st Cap v Aus, 16th Nov 2024, Aged 20

Ya well let him establish himself at provincial level first id say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

If Edogbo is 6'5, i think you just play him at 6 down the line

Move Coombes to lock?

Of all the munster players mentioned, Ahern has highest upside to me and as a 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

Aside from making a provincial bs remark, what's the relevance here?

Conan and Coombes are very clearly in totally different positions in the pecking order and rightly so.

What have I said that's inaccurate?

I guess the point is, this time last season, I'd have argued for a different pecking order and would have gone for Coombes. I'm hopeful he can get back to that level of performance. If he can, he may get a chance in green, particularly if injuries go his way, which they haven't up to now.

He's up against it, but I wouldn't write off his international prospects yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

At no point has Coombed shown himself to at the required level for international play. He's done well at URC and HC level, great, his peers have done all that and more. When Coombes has been given a chance in green, he's failed to stand out. He's just not it, and likely never will be. There's a unending production line of backrow prospects coming down the pipe, I'd be very surprised if he ever establishes himself in the 23

I'd disagree with that; he was one of the better players against the Maori, but admittedly was poor in the game against the All Blacks XV.

His form last season, particularly in Europe was absolutely brilliant; if he can hit that form again, I think he absolutely has shown he wouldn't be out of placed at International level.

Now, whether he suits Farrell's gameplan and pack-build is a different question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Conan was great this week, imo. Carried well hit rucks etc. Coombes has had many chances and hasn't got it done. With Quinn and Gleeson coming up, Coombes will have to kick it up a notch. Seriously, the anti Conan bias is ridiculous. Conan is quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Coombes isn't keeping Conan out of the starting 15. Conan is currently ahead of Coombes, last year I'd have said the Coombes was ahead of Conan but he didn't get the chance to show it where it mattered.

Next year, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Can we concentrate on the players farrell actually picks and set up a separate tread about Coombes if ye want as this is getting annoying, if he was good enough he would have been selected in the squad so move on

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

but he didn't get the chance to show it where it mattered.

did he not play a game on the 14th october last year?

Indeed with 1 training session. Who else has been held to account for that game?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

so you agree he DID get a chance to "show it when it mattered"

thats settled so

the game certainly did calvin nash no harm

How do you show yourself at that level of urc and hc dont count 😂

Nor did jimmy o brien or joe mccarthy or Craig casey or ciaran frawley, tom o toole, cian prendergast, jamie osbourne all where muck

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The back row is one of, if not the strongest part of the Ireland squad. I've no skin in this game, he doesn't play for my province, but I really don't see any reason to bring in Coombes. I don't see what he's going to give us, I don't see what shortcoming he'd fix. I don't see who he's better than.

His biggest asset is the big carries near the line, and I don't think he'd be anywhere near as effective with those in test rugby. These good performances in the URC count for very little, we've seen that over the years with many players who have torn up trees only to be overlooked. Performing well in interpros and big European games with standout performances seems to be much more valuable.

If you cast your mind back to the Ulster v Munster game before Christmas, it was an Ulster back row of McCann, Rea, Timoney up against a Munster back row of Kendellen, Hodnett, Coombes and it was McCann who ran the show that night. These are the sort of things that will count against him, that was exactly the sort of fixture he needs to be putting in big shifts in if he wants to move up the pecking order.

I don't see Coombes ever becoming an Ireland regular, at least not under the current coaching setup. Ahern spending time in camp is not going to bode well for Coombes either.

Timoney is the weakest back row selected in the squad, and that's because he covers 7. Ireland preferred to play Conan at 7 than play Timoney at the weekend, which gives a good hint as to where exactly he stands in the pecking order. I don't think he's seriously in Farrell's plans.

Its not about dropping someone though iv said that its about not playing the same 4 players constantly iv neber suggested dropping anyone.

Coombes biggest asset is his workrate not his goal line carrying thats barely watch him stuff

Coombes dosent play in big european nights but he was a european player of the year nominee last season?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

He's very rarely had a good game against Leinster and that's where most of his competition lies

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Coombes is unfortunate in that we currently have ridiculous strength in the backrow.

If he was Welsh or Scottish he'd have 25+ caps by now.

However , as good as he might be in isolation , the reality is that he is several steps behind multiple players in the International pecking order.

Right now , at 8 he is at best 3rd choice behind Doris and Conan and as a 6 he is behind POM , Baird , Conan , Doris and Beirne (even more so with the emergence of McCarthy in the 2nd row), he's also probably behind Prendergast as well for a 6 Jersey.

Picking an Irish squad with 6/7 backrow capable players , there are probably 8/9 players ahead of Coombes in that mix today - Not because he isn't good enough per se , but because the others are simply better.

And unfortunately for him , it's not going to get any easier as players like Culhane in Leinster , McCann in Ulster along with Quinn and Gleeson in Munster all start to move up the ranks over the next year or two.

Advertisement