Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,175 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Arsenal back in the race now too and have to play Man City, so at least there is the chance there of at least one of them dropping points.

We've a couple of tough games ourselves in April / May in Villa & Spurs but the Man City run in March will be tough. Hopefully they can drop points in a few games there.

Arsenal's tough games are a bit spread out too but they have that Man City game too, a NLD, Man Utd away in May & always have this new mini rivalry game soon with Newcastle game.

Plenty opportunities for all teams to drop points. I think it's better for us that way. It it was a 10 game win type of season, we'd fall away I reckon. We don't have the bodies to do that, before we talk about quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭brevity

Who ever is the next manager I do hope they are luckier than Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

If we can keep it to 1 point between us until Citys run in March, then it could get interesting. Doing that with our injuries mounting is another story....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Any chance of any changes to the starting XI for next Saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,409 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How are you meant to know that now? Salah could be back, VVD could slip in the shower, Mac Allister could fall down a well, Gakpo could be bitten by a radioactive spider and get super powers. Klopp might also develop an age serum and give it to Kenny and get him back in the frost 11 in time.

• Advertisement

No need to comment if you don't want to.

Maybe a thread other than Liverpool team news would be for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Definitely be a few anyway. Alisson and Gomez probably over their flu by then, Konate's ban is finished, and I doubt Trent'll be starting after reinjuring his knee.

Doubtless a few other things will become clearer during the week, like Mo, Szobo, Bradley etc. Never really get a sense of these things till around the Thursday

No word on VVD's shower?

Such a massive game (as they all are really) but you'd fancy us to get past Luton and Forrest subsequently before the City game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,409 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Come back to me when there's concrete updates on this age serum you speak of.

• Advertisement

Albie Moreno is gonna get injured in a freak dog & skateboard accident!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Good to see Arsenal winning.

I still don't think we will win the title but I think we have a better chance the more pressure is on City.

Having both Arsenal and Liverpool breathing down their necks would surely be better than just ourselves?

I wouldn't be over the moon about it, but I would prefer to see Arsenal win it over City.

We've seen what happens when it's just ourselves so ultimately I'd prefer it.

Side note our trip to Old Trafford looks more difficult by the minute whilst our trip to Aston Villa looks less daunting by the same token.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Augme

We need arsenal still to be in by the time they play City on the 31st March. If we beat City, a draw in that game might be the best result for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Very hard to look ahead and predict who has the easier run in, lots of teams will already be in holiday mode when April comes, as they can't get relegated or reach Europe, so lots of strange results tend to happen. Its also the worst time of year to be playing any relegation threatened teams as they'll fight like dogs unless already gone.

One thing everyone knows is that City know how to close out the season, they have very few, if any injury concerns right now ( obviously that could change), for Arsenal and ourselves there's still some question marks; will all our injuries eventually catch up with us and we run out of steam? Have Arsenal learnt from last seasons collapse and be able to sustain a challenge until the very end? When you consider everything it's still difficult to see past City, but, it's great to be in the race and not without a genuine chance of winning it.

Beat Brentford away first anyway! No easy task

Yesterday was actually a quieter Nunez game, by his standards, but he still showed how pivotal he is to the team as there was 5 big moments that he played a big part in.

Early in the game when Liverpool had not started at all, Burnley had the ball and a chance or two. Ball goes direct to Nunez and he wins it. Defender pulls him off the ball with 2 hands, somehow no free kick is given but Nunez battles back and wins the ball again before driving down the wing and wins a throw in high up the pitch. Regains possession and Liverpool reset and start the recycling the ball around the back and midfield forcing Burnley deep again. Dragged us into the game a bit. Very underrated and something Bobby was and would be lauded for.

The first big chance created (iirc) came through Nunez being composed at the right hand corner of the box, beating a man and putting a good cross in for Diaz to shoot. I thought it hit the post initially but it was a good save by the keeper. We typically see him operating best on the left hand side but this showed that he is starting to learn how to dominate in both sides.

His goal. Brilliant.

His miss. Terrible. To be fair to him, it was the 95th minute and he just had sprinted half the length of the pitch, controlled it with a great first touch, but he has to place it into one of the corners. Anywhere but the keeper! Gets the leeway because he had already scored so he is lucky there, a bit.

And then a time he actually never received the ball but it really annoyed me that he didn't. Terrible decision making by Diaz and has to do better. He eventually messed up the pass to Jota too. Diaz's electricity is gone since the injury so he has to be effective in other ways. His decision making really needs to improve, he holds onto it too long. I can't say I am 100 % confident that Nunez would have scored from this position but he really should have had the opportunity to get his shot away, being straight in on goal. He had even managed to stay onside and all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I watched a good bit of him off the ball yesterday, and I agree - he was making several runs all through but he didn't get the ball. Whenever midfielders had the ball he was liking for the ball in behind, but many times the pass didn't come at all, or the passer hesitated and he was caught offside.

I'd have thought they would have had it down a bit better to be honest, either he'd hold the run or the passer would hit it earlier, but it was clear to me there is huge room for improvement there alone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Nunez had a fine game. His header was seriously good in fairness. We are better with him in the team - the stats back it up. Not the finished article yet, but he leads the line well and creates a lot of room for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Yeah apparently we haven't won there in the league since the 1930's, probably ain't been to many games tho

• Advertisement

..wrong thread..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

United are on a good run, but are still pretty shít. Onana saved their ass yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

We just need them to show up against City 2 weeks from Sunday, and they can go back to their Jekyll and Hyde shambolic selves for the remainder of the season!

Comments on Reddit saying Nunez has a lot of yellow cards so he might have to be a bit calmer going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,518 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yeah, he's on 8. If he gets two more he'll get a two match ban

That'll reset after match 32, so 8 more matches

EDIT: our 8th match is United away, though I'm not sure if progressing in the FA Cup could change that

Endo on 6 is probably the only other concern. Mac and Trent on 5, everyone else three or fewer

That Utd away is going to be a nightmare

Same as Rodri, both on 8 cards. Both players are on the watchlist before that big game. Nunez would be a 1 game ban, Rodri 2 iirc.

Both Diaz and Nunez need to be smarter with their decision making tbf but Diaz has become increasingly zig zaggy of late instead of playing simple options sooner.

Oh, Nunez didn't get a ban for 5 before the first cutoff? Would just be one match then

Once that's not City, I'd rather be kept being himself. If he gets a one match ban then so be it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,232 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Even if Trent is fit, I think I'd play Joe at RB on Saturday

Several of his cards recently have been for silly stuff, like kicking the ball away or waving his arms in frustration. Referees are singling him out IMHO, but either way he has to learn to be smarter - a yellow for kicking some lad is better than this silly stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Not a hope he is fit but yeah I agree with you,even Bradley if he is back starts ahead of trent imo

• Administrators Posts: 54,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think refs are singling him out, Nunez has a habit of giving away some really stupid free kicks.

Bradley hasn't trained in a couple weeks and has just had one of the toughest periods of time that a young lad can have. I don't think Bradley will be playing for a while. Trent has a higher chance of starting.

Oh I know that about Bradley,he should take as long as he needs,just saying I would still play him ahead of Trent if he was available

• Advertisement

Yeah, good point. Hopefully he can rein that in without losing his fire!

When he probably should be winning a 50/50 chase and then the defender gets the body in the way, he can't help but foul sometimes.

Better to harass and Harry when they are facing their own goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭ratracer

In my mind we’ve absolutely dodged a bullet in missing out on signing Caciedo…..he’s brutal!

bad as he's been, I'm sure things would have been different for him under Klopp, just as they were under De Zerbi. Chelsea is a broken club, dragging their new young players down with it. He's only just turned 22 after all.

Would still have expected more but I can see how a young player going into a total mess of a situation, with seemingly no plan or structure, would struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭ratracer

I don’t know, yes he’s young, and yes, the Klopp effect may have turned him into a completely different player, but he’s either shot in confidence, or told to dive and milk every possible opportunity at Chelsea. He’s a completely different player to the breakout star of Brighton last term!

• Advertisement

It's always a position that relies upon structure to make it work though - where a forward to an extent can come in and just play their natural game, a DM needs to know what everyone is going to be doing in any given moment to know how they should defend a situation (whether they should drop and cover, or charge in etc), or know where the runs will be coming from to start an attack in transition.

Like, if he'd come to Liverpool we'd not have seen him until December, same as with Fabinho and Endo, while he got up to speed on how the team played. Brighton had a way of playing too, and he knew exactly what was needed of him, and did it like a boss. At Chelsea he's just a bit of flotsam bobbing around with no rhyme or reason as to what's happening around him in defence or attack. They're all just playing it by ear it looks like. it's hard for a DM to look good under those circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I sure he will improve, he is there until he is thirty anyway....

ha! true! It's so nuts that the club that should be the most aware of this stuff, after years of Winston Bogarde, are the ones with a whole truckload of largely unproven talent signed up for eternity.

He does, but refs are down on him too. He was mauled several times recently, especially against Arsenal. One time, can't recall which game, he was clearly fouled, got no free, punched the sit in frustration with the referee miles away, and got booked.

It was dumb, but....

1/It was a foul, give the free and there is no reaction

2/be consistent, book every lad that shows frustration with a decision - this is done on a depends who it is' basis.

Darwin has lots to learn still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,565 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The one for kicking the ball away, to the keeper, on Saturday was a very harsh yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Every time he does this in training is another day he clears all the plates in the canteen. Problem solved. His teammates are relying on him and getting suspended for repeated stupidity is not fair on them.

Allison,Gomez and Bradley all spotted at AXA training centre this morning

Great, hopefully the spate of illnesses is gone from the group now.

Salah out with the team too, whether that's team training or not is another thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement