Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The parties must really be getting worried about the upcoming elections...

Flagged in the Budget last year, it had been initially planned to extend child benefit up until a young person’s 19th birthday from September 2024.

However, Ms Humphreys will tell cabinet colleagues today that the Department of Social Protection is now in a position to implement the measure from May 1 – which will coincide with the local and European elections the following month.

Today’s expected announcement will give such households an extra four months – or a cash boost of €560 – that they had not bargained for.

.. won't surprise me if they announce a general election in the coming months too, but they'll probably wait till closer to May to see what way the wind is blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭ALS

Will the child benefit be backdated my sons benefit was stopped the day of his birthday , he will be doing his leaving cert in June and turns 18 in July?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,132 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Well done FG, you wont even get the children's hospital done for the election...

A runaway project that has cost the taxpayer way more than "planned". Final cost still unknown!

Cost of National Children's Hospital rises to €2.24bn (rte.ie)

Cost of National Children's Hospital rises to €2.24bn, says Minister

While the final cost of the hospital has yet to be established, it brings the overall total to around €2bn.

The Government announced enhanced capital and budget sanctions to bring the approved budget to €2.24 billion.

The original estimated cost was €450m in 2017.

The extra costs had previously been blamed on inflation.

The hospital is estimated to be at over 90% completion and the department said new hospital is due to be completed by Q4 of this year and, following operational commissioning, open in "mid-2025".

Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform Paschal Donohoe said the State is making every effort to get value for taxpayers when it comes to completing the hospital.

--------------

The dishonesty and ineptness is astounding.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

Michael Martin said lessons will be learned when asked about the children's hospital. It's as if they are trolling people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

Heads should be rolling over that. Years of delays, billions of euros of cost overruns, and its now literally the most expensive hospital ever built in the history of humanity, anywhere in the world.

Its rank incompetence. But theres no chance anyone who was in charge of decision making on it over the last decade will be held to account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

We don't "do" political or ministerial accountability in Ireland. At best they'll just go quiet for a few days or week until the "noise" dies down.

It's funny really. For all the sneering at the UK over Brexit and Boris over the last few years, at least their politicians will generally resign or be made to when stuff like this happens.

But we know best as usual I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The measure will apply to all eligible 18-year-olds who are in full-time education or who have a disability.

Strange this wasn't already in place to be honest.

The ongoing RTE debacle and the NCH is more evidence that we live in a banana republic where the culture of corruption, waste and cronyism is tolerated at a high level. Will there ever be accountability for these disasters?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A banana republic 🙄

Actual banana republics exist in the world and they look absolutely nothing like Ireland. Why can't people just criticise the government instead of engaging in ridiculous hyperbole?

"a small state that is politically unsable as a result of the domination of its economy by a single export controlled by foreign capital."

That's the description of a banana republic. I know these words sound fancy but it's worth checking the actual meaning of them.

Swing and a miss on that one.

• Advertisement

I thought you had me on Ignore Clo?

I'd say you have the Children's hospital and RTE scandal on ignore too!

Catherine Martin as useless as ever on the RTE issue. It takes a toothless committee to establish the facts for the cabinet despite all her lengthy reports and strong words. The government have been exceptionally weak on RTE. Good luck collecting the license fee revenue before the elections!

Keep on swinging 😂

Just firing out everything from the RTE website in the hope something might stick. Why would I put you on ignore, it's too funny watching you fumble about every few days with the latest faux outrage to post about.

With the amount of copying and pasting from RTE website I hope you are paying your TV license.

The truth hurts Clo.

Only one link from RTE posted this week but keep up the honest posting. 😉 It was about the Children's hospital. You were happy to put the blindfold on for that one yet again.

"the truth hurts"?

What truth? I can read RTE myself and well aware of the Children Hospital. I said at the time once it was moved from Blanchardstown it would be a disaster and I am right.

I don't feel the need to copy & paste from RTE as if you are adding some new massive information that everyone is not already aware of.

At least I am aware of the issues with the government, no need for a blindfold. I have yet to see you post anything critical about the party or whoever you voted for. Who is wearing a blindfold?

Keep on swinging and some stage you might get a hit 😂

Waffler.

How many RTE links did I post exactly? Go on, be honest. Count them.

I voted Independent and she is doing a fine job.

Your FFG can do no wrong. Long week 🔦

As I said, who is wear the blindfold 👍️

Seem to be going down one of your blind alleys. Leave you to it, till the next copy & paste 😂

Brian Stanley (SF & PAC) makes a very good point about Coveney

Call for details of Coveney's exit package to be revealed (rte.ie)

PAC chair calls for details of Coveney's exit package to be revealed.

He criticised what he described as the "drip-feed of information" coming from RTÉ, and said that all of the information should be put on the table.

"This is not a secret society, this is a public sector broadcaster being funded by the public ... There is a moral obligation for it all to be put on the table," he said.

Social Democrats TD, Róisín Shortall, has said that Mr Coveney should offer up the relevant information about his exit package.

------------------

Why all the secrecy? This is a public sector organisation. This must be very embarrassing for his brother, the Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment. I thought Fine Gael were sorting these golden handshakes out when they produced the "New Politics" document. What legal threat has Coveney invoked on Bakhurst?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It's surprising we haven't had the usual party hacks/civil server Depts/HSE connected ones on telling us how wonderful the new and world's most expensive hospital by miles will be and how the government are as shocked as anyone at the shenanigans in RTE which were of course all down to the malevolent Dee Forbes.

Of course the name Coveney in the mix means that Fine Gaelers will have to lay low around these parts until the connection to party royalty blows over.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Meanwhile, seems not all is kosher in the government ranks

And before someone says but FO’D is retiring, He still has no qualms in calling a spade a spade.

I have read RO’G has little chance of being re-elected. I’d say his actions here have certainly nailed his political coffin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭Augme

It won't be his stance on immigration that will see him not getting elected though. The last election he got in ahead of Ruth Coppinger and that was thanks to transfer from Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not what this guy is saying, although he's not guaranteeing him

the addition of a seat to the constituency is apparently giving ROG a fighting chance

This person certainly does a detailed analysis.

i saw this on the menu page:

He predicted 6 green seats for October but his January prediction is halved to 3. Whether he’s right or wrong, interesting 12 months ahead.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Most of the hatred for Roderic O'Gorman comes from outside his constituency. There's a lot of hatred for the Green Party in rural Ireland but in most cases these constituencies don't have a Green TD to vote out. They can take out their hatred of the GP on FF/FG TDs but that won't affect ROG's ability to get re-elected.

Smacks of what we've seen in the US with visceral hatred of Democrats in R+30 districts (which would never have a Dem Rep to vote out) and hatred of Trump in cities (where Hillary/Biden won by 30 points).

Replace Green Party with Labour, PD's etc etc in terms of a small party who go into coalition and a section of Ireland decide they are the root of all their issues.

I don't know how many Green Party people ran around Ireland but I would expect most areas are covered. Just some people are too busy waffling about "leafy streets of Dublin" to actually listen to them

After the shenanigans over the years by Gilmore, Burton,, Rabbitte, Kelly & now the inaction of Bacik, I ( having been a lifelong labour supporter) I switched to the SD’s. I thought they spoke a lot of sense.

Then Holly Cairns took over. However after watching/reading this

I despair at the standard of politicians coming through the ranks in this country. She ( rightly ) criticised the coalition but offered absolutely no alternative.

i got news for you Holly: I’m one of those disillusioned voters BUT you are not appealing to me.

I despair at the standard of politician in Ireland.

I thought she spoke well.

At this point, all I want is an honest politician to vote for. There doesn't seem to a single honest politician in the government.

Honesty, integrity and honour is all I am not looking for at this point. The 6 SD TDs seem to be honest but we'll have to see how they get on in government and whether the rot in Irish politics infects them.

I used to think many TDs in FG were honest too. That time has long passed.

I’d agree CM with Your post aside from Her not offering reasonable alternatives. But what bugs me with the SD’s is this persistent rumour that just refuses to go away that they may/may not join up with Labour.

Labour are keeping that rumour alive because they are toast otherwise. They sold their soul long ago when Gilmore was in charge.

I think the SDs will work hard in government. The FFG cabinet ministers have given up, they are afraid to do or plan anything in case it loses more votes. And it's clear that they couldn't care less about taxpayer money waste (RTE payouts/Children's Hospital). They are completely ineffectual across the board. Leo/Michael are definitely eyeing up a job in EU or UN.

And the green ministers have been woeful. Just useless. Catherine Martin in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Governments here have been learning lessons since 2001 when they spend millions on e voting machines that probably ended up in a metal recycling centre.

Advertisement