Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I am no supported of SF, but EOB has explained how SF in Govt would build 4,000 affordable houses.

Also, bear in mind at peak of housing bubble we built 90k+.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

The majority of these politicians are voted in by people who still believe in the civil war fade between FF - FG or detest SF so much they'll keep in check.

But the combined vote for FFG has dropped the past few elections, which is positive.

Nearly 100 years in power between FFG, Eastern European Infrastructure, 3rd World Healthcare is a consent result when these are in power!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

How would he finance this and where is the labour coming from?

What is the offset impact on current private developments, since there is finite construction resource which is already engaged.

We did indeed build 90k,but the construction labour force was much much larger than it is today.

We need alot more people employed in building services to get near those numbers.

Something to aim towards, I agree, but the irony of course, is that there is nowhere for them to live, whilst they build homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One interesting thing I notice from the Irish Times poll at the weekend is that it's Sinn Fein voters who say they have the biggest issue with immigration. That would suggest this whole anti-immigration or 'concerns with immigration' thing if you like is mostly coming from working class areas (SF would hardly deny for a moment that the bulk of their votes come from working class sections of society).

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

UN mk 1 as useful as a chocolate teapot so not sure what mk 2 would achieve…

During the 20th the worlds population grew from 1.65 billion to 6 billion and we’re at 8 billion and rising rapidly. It’s unsustainable imo and Europe is not and cannot responsible for this. Hard conversations have to be had globally but needs to start here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Damien360

But it is effecting more working class areas. If you live in the Dublin leafy suburbs, there are no refugees, fake or otherwise. There will be immigrants who came via the visa system alright. They work and put up with the same crap the rest of us taxpayers put up with. Competition with the state for housing in less leafy areas is a huge issue. Pressure on schools and GP’s is barely an issue where no sudden influx of people occurred. The commuter belt is getting hammered in this regard.

I would make a distinction between working class (actually working) and sitting on your ass all your life (lifers). SF vote was strong in the lifers section but the East Wall incident showed SF true colours. That’s the vote they are loosing in my opinion. Working class is there to be grabbed as a vote, as they have had enough of FG/FF. But SF are not making the correct noises to grab that. Solidarity with a terrorist Hamas group doesn’t grab you a vote. The greens are almost entirely leafy Dublin voters with wealth and notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Government to crack down on people seeking asylum for 'economic reasons' (irishexaminer.com)

Roderic O'Gorman must have had the most fashionable opinions in Ireland two years ago. It really shows how things have turned that he's openly saying that 60% of asylum seekers don't meet the criteria. Not so long ago that would have been dismissed as a far right view, regardless of it being true or not.

The bit I am not seeing is how those 60% will be processed...

We already know that a majority of failed asylum seekers are not deported, so what changes on that front, in light of this statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Nope. All GPs are out the door for years now and with free care for children and less doctors to go around, getting worse.

Still not the fault of immigration.

Health is being cutback today as we write.

Agreed.

Its whole house clean out and do over needed, not just one area.

• Advertisement

I agree with what you say... In fact I wrote most of it a few days ago!

And you haven't even credited that post!

Thats just snobbery. On your part.

She can't help her accent but you can fix your bias.

@Sunny Disposition.

Here is my post from Feb 8th..

Talking about others being disingenuous and then you rewrite my post.

I'll take it as a compliment 😁

So the " working class" in your view are the only ones on their feet? I spent my life on my feet as do many middle class workers and professionals.

Posters on this thread are not only attacking immigrants now but other citizens. For their accents, where they live, who they vote for, what newspapers they read, how many trees in their neighbourhood, their so called ' notions'...

Who's next?

And SF have lost as many voters to SD as others...

Not everybody in the working class agrees with the protests and harassment of refugees nor do they want to see Ireland dragged back down the road of intolerance like some would have here.

There is a difference between wanting immigration dealt with better and joining the baying mob of ' Ireland is full ".

And another thing.. Where I live in Dublin would be considered in the middle and we have 2 large refugee accomodations nearby and three homeless refuges.. Go figure

. And its leafy!

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well I think it's worth pointing out here firstly that the EU's population is projected to decline towards the latter end of this decade. It's also worth reminding ourselves that one third of the global population are in China and India alone. When it comes to refugees, the vast majority of them are in poor / middle income countries.

So the idea that somehow Europe is putting itself in some position of taking on the world's population as its responsibility doesn't really hold up against the numbers.

I do agree with you that hard conversations need to be had, but I think that an honest conversation on this needs to acknowledge that no policy comes without flaw or downside. The "Right" tends to put it out there that reducing migration and getting tougher on asylum seekers is this relatively easy thing that only requires the will to do it — and there is nothing but upsides for native people of thread developed world.

So what are the downsides? What sacrifices need to be made?

I'm in a working class part of Dublin (population of over 20,000 locally) and to my knowledge, there is no asylum centre in the area. But to be honest, even if there was, I doubt I would notice it or the asylum seekers, given the sheer numbers of people I pass on the street every day.

There will be a large exodus from Africa over the coming decades.

I think the general trend of asylum migration is just the tip of the iceberg, so we do need to prepare better in terms of how we will manage the mass movement of people.

What part will we play? How do we best prepare? What benefits are there etc.

"I'm in a working class part of Dublin"

So am I.

An asylum(IP) center opened up the road over the last 2 years, noticeable amount of migrants have arrived I can see this in local shopping center where most are hanging around. Seen a huge change in demographics the past decade.

"I doubt I would notice it or the asylum seekers, given the sheer numbers of people I pass on the street every day"

Even with or without an IP center, there's a big change of hands from council houses to people arriving here the last few years. Drive by these streets many times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

This is it in a nutshell.

The present global population growth rate is unsustainable.

The planet needs a population cull.

It's that simple.

If you're a working class area like myself, surely your main concern is being harassed by local skangers near the shops or in the park. If I saw a bunch of black or Muslim fellas coming towards me on the street or in the park, I wouldn't even notice them but I would immediately tense up if I saw a bunch of young skanger types heading in my direction and making eye contact.....I'd be expecting trouble.

• Advertisement

You're interjecting a lot there,

"surely your main concern is being harassed by local skangers near the local shops or in the park"

No I don't have any concern like that. And as you're from a working class area, we're all a bunch of skangers right?

"If I saw a bunch of black or Muslim fellas coming towards me on the pavement or in the park, I wouldn't even notice them but I would immediately tense up if I saw a bunch of young skanger types heading in my direction and making eye contact.....I'd be expecting trouble"

Been a scrotbag doesn't discriminate against skin colour and or faith following... anyone can be a "skanger"

Did mention there's a huge difference in demographics within the part of Dublin I live in from your point about working class areas and the revelations that 60% of asylum seekers are refused because of bogus claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Yeah, but we're told that it's because of the stress and abuse they are receiving.... constituents calling them out and them not knowing how to go off script or agasint the party more like.

I've never once had any problems with black people, Muslims or any non nationals in my area. But I've had a fair few episodes over the years of bunches of local skangers up to no good and spoiling for a fight, name calling, invading my space etc (nothing personal with me either....they're like that with everyone).

I'm baffled at how anyone who lives in a genuinely working class area in Dublin could say they are more worried about anti-social behaviour from immigrants in the area than from the locals.

"I'm baffled at how anyone who lives in a genuinely working class area in Dublin could say they are more worried about anti-social behaviour from immigrants in the area than from the locals."

Stop twisting my comments, where did I mention once about anti-social behavior.

There's anti social threads on current events too I'd imagine, you can post that there?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭thereiver

I spoke to a 70 year old migrant he has lived in a hostel for six months I asked him why did you come here. He says income here to find a job and send money back to my family he's in good health .I told him most company's will not take on a 70 ,year old as a new employee he lived in in italy making leather goods he has a drivers licence

Even if he finds a job he would be spending most of his wages on rent unless he intends to stay in the hostel for years

Ireland has a low rate of migrants compared with the UK or other EU country's

It seems we only seem to be talking about illegal migrants as a problem since the war in Ukraine started. I think about 200 people arrive here every week approx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

The local skangers have made certain areas where I live no-go zones. Just last night I was walking behind a couple who did a U-turn and I was wondering why until I got where they had been and saw a group of lads looking a bit menacing. I would regularly get the odd comment from them, hassled for smokes and so on. I've never had any issue with any non-whites at all. I don't think any of the far right type lads have either.

I thought the whole "unvetted males" thing was one of the main reasons asylum seekers would be seen as a problem? That would certainly come under the category of anti-social behaviour, along with other types of crimes i.e. directly linking asylum seekers with potential criminality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Foreign buyers now account for half of Irish country home purchases according to the Examiner. In Denmark and Austria you have to be an EU citizen living in the country for over 5 years as a permanent resident to be able to buy property, and New Zealand has banned the sale of homes to foreigners. Ireland has the right to do the same but we haven’t! We won't! It's pathetic

That's my experience too. I've never had a serious incident of any description thankfully, just general low level harassment but repeated many times - probably the same for most people who grew up in a working class area.

• Advertisement

Never once mentioned anti social behavior.

"directly linking asylum seeker with potential criminality"

You're interjecting and twisting my comment and talking absolute rubbish. "Am from a working class area and I had nothing but skangers harassing me" sorry to hear that but lets talk about immigration to Ireland, sticking to the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement