Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Only because it is true and unarguable ..uncomfortable for you I suppose .

There have always been foreign doctors staffing our hospitals in this country. Senior experienced

doctors that were absolutely vital .

Nurses have been Irish and English mainly until the 00s .

What's this about " importing cheap labour " ? Lol

Don't let any employers hear you say that !

We have one of the highest minimum AND average wages in the OECD , per hour, in the top 15 for both , not to mention tightly regulated conditions of employment which are adhered to .

You want to avail of cheap Labour markets Croatia and Poland are in the running for the lowest wages , certainly not Ireland .

Working conditions are arguably making us less competitive than other countries , not at all what you infer .

But carry on there regardless..

So yeah, yez are all talking the usual xxxx to justify your pontificating ..

Excuse me?

Two of the posts I quoted in my last post were posters anti all immigration/ better off before type of stuff so don't blame others for muddying the waters!

10 years paying for someone to live here ??

Thats not a good thing.

Let people work and pay tax if they want to as soon as they have a successful application.

What about all the complaints previously about young men hanging around with nothing to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

The point of waiting for status serves a couple goals.

1) conditions in their home country may change since their AS application so it's now safe to return.

2) languishing around on subsistence level of dole is unattractive. The point of asylum is that people are safe, not enriched.

Personally I would advocate confining them to DP centres, not out in public.

I agree with Housing them in DP centres alright but not detaining them and certainly applications processing needs to be much faster than previously.

But they are allowed to work after 6 months because it is better for them to be employed and earning,

You know why that is I think.

• Advertisement

Sure, that's because we have a ruling class that believes we are fighting inflation by 'keeping wages low'.

Meanwhile undermine our actual immigration laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭thereiver

The problem is we don't have the staff to process 1000s of migrants and send them back if their applications to stay here is refused our economy needs to be in the EU that's why company's like Facebook Google are based here we have a shortage of doctors nurses and gardai and the housing crisis continues

At least the government reduced welfare payments for Ukrainian migrants to 38 euro

We have to follow EU law in processing migrants

On the plus side our hotels retail stores cafes could hardly exist without the people from EU country's who came here to work

• Registered Users Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Most people today are living wage to wage and few have savings they can afford to have

Your making out a lot of false stuff about past.

My parents were considered lower to middle class and we always had enough. Yes things to house had be done bit by bit but we had holidays, went to matches etc.

That was with one income coming in too for while.

Combined incomes of 100-120k are struggling today.

Something badly wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Oh look.. Roderic is now spouting "far right rhetoric" as well!

Integration minister Roderic O'Gorman said 60% of people seeking international protection do not meet the criteria of fleeing war and persecution

I especially liked this bit :

"I don't judge anybody for wanting to make a better life for themselves. But if they're coming to Ireland, there are other mechanisms in terms of work permits and the like."

Maybe he's been reading my previous posts on this topic (Hi Roderic!)

Of course, this is so transparent it's ridiculous. The only reason that they are now publicly acknowledging that water is indeed wet is because the party bosses are obviously terrified about their chances in the upcoming local and euro elections - same reason why they've suddenly decided to bring forward the child benefit extension as announced today.

If you are here Roderic (or whatever staffer is monitoring these sorts of threads/sites), you're fooling no one!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Juran

Agree. But that was pre-generous dole (plus all the other benefits) Ireland.

Up until the mid 90's, most men and women in my rural area in the West who couldnt find work left to work in UK, US, Australia, Germany, etc.

Now the unemployed are so spolit they won't work or take min wage jobs, so the country depends on immigrants to fill these positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Very true. We have one of the most generous social welfare systems in Europe.

Christmas bonus payments FFS! Bonus for what?

Anyone that doesnt understand why we need migrants at all skill levels in our employment sector really doesnt have a clue.

From the doctors and nurses, healthcare staff and hospitality workers to the tech & pharma workers that enable MNCs to stay in ireland and pay incredible amounts of tax into our coffers, none of this is possible without skilled migrant immigration.

Sure, skilled immigrants. But what does that have to do with Refugees?

Very little.

But some posters here are arguing for stopping all immigration, stating we didnt need immigration before (when we were broke and eveyone emigrated) so why do we need it now.

Thats the short sighted argument I am addressing.

You said that before and I already answered that if there are people that do, and I haven't read posts that said that - that it would be a outlier point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭Damien360

You keep saying that some posters want all migration to stop. I haven’t read that here at all. So in the spirit of your normal request, please quote the posters that have said exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Have you seen the thread title?

Some posters want the Ukrainians sent back asap.

I am pretty sure Malin Header and Gatling advocated for that.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Here we have Leo stating the obvious, only about seven years later.

"It's not always the case that people destroy their documents. We don't find destroyed documents in bins or in bathrooms (at Dublin Airport),"

"What happens is they're trafficked into the country and the person who trafficks them takes the IDs off them at a certain point – probably while they're still on the plane."

He stated that the majority of people who seek international protection come across the border from North to South. Our border is the sea, when these people enter the island of Ireland and travel to the south, this is where they apply for IP at IPO in Dublin, they're illegals. They should be deported. He thinks all of this is fine. 70% of our IP applications were made at the office in 2023 and he's stating that 40% overall have been "determined by our system deserving of international protection."..... that's bollox. "If somebody comes to an airport without documents, they are sent back, which happens continuously" bollox.

But Matty McGrath gets it "You're suggesting that we leave the United Nations, exempt ourselves from international law, and become some sort of hermit kingdom. That's just not common sense."..... he goes on to state that the Taoiseach should receive "a gold medal for disseminating disinformation and downright lies".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

McGrath claims that Varadkar, Martin and Mary Lou receive their orders from Klaus Schwab and the World Economic Forum - a total headbanger in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Leo - I'm not aware of that, what a f**king spoofer.

Processing asylum applications is the responsibility of the Dept of Justice so I'm curious why Helen McEntee didn't make this announcement. It's odd.

In the 15 years between 2002 and 2016, the percentage of asylum seekers whose claims were accepted as valid and granted refugee status stood at a mere 7%. But in 2016, the authority at the time tasked with processing asylum applications was changed from ORAC to IPAS. At this point, a category of 'subsidiary protection' was introduced whereby if an asylum seeker's claim was rejected, IPAS could still grant them residency on the theoretical possibility that they might face some 'hardship' if deported. People granted this option are, like those granted refugee status, allowed to apply for family reunification. The Dept of Justice was under no obligation to introduce this category which falls beyond the scope of the UN's Convention on Refugees. But they did. Imagine that.

In 2017, for example, all asylum applications from Nigerians were rejected. Yet 57% were then granted subsidiary protection. Applications from Congolese people were rejected but 100% of them were subsequently granted subsidiary protection. And if an asylum seeker fails to qualify for subsidiary protection, there's a third option where they can still be granted Leave To Remain at the Dept of Justice's discretion on "compassionate" grounds. The same status that is issued to those with a deportation order who didn't "self-deport." I've brought up the case of Ellie Kisyombe who spent ten years in direct provision appealing her asylum application's rejection while refusing to go home to Malawi after being issued with a deportation order, until she was granted Leave To Remain and returned to Malawi twice on holiday. 

So O'Gorman is spreading disinformation when he said this:

"We know about 40% of people who go through the international protection system are able to prove that they are being persecuted and they meet the criteria and about 60% of people don't meet those particular criteria."

A large portion of that 40% did not in fact have to prove they had been actively persecuted. O'Gorman said on Claire Byrne that international protection had to be for people fleeing war, conflict, and persecution. So why has the government been granting "status" (as the Anti-Irish Times likes to call it) to asylum seekers who can prove none of these things for the last seven years? I have my suspicions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,977 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Some dope on twitter with truth in her username reckons we're covering headstones so as not to offend immigrants 😆😆😆

Turns out they were being cleaned, however the every "patriotic the country is spreading it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,977 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Remember the homeless crisis was all over the news and now it isn't, has it gone away ?

To add on from the above...

A 39 y/o Man has been charged and jailed for 6 years for raping a female asylum seeker who was sleeping at an asylum center. The man, has not been named to protect the anonymity of the victim. No other information has been provided other than he is registered at the same address as the victim

The crime took place in June 2022 so I dread thinking about what else has happened that we don't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

In fairness, I think very few people (if any) are saying that all inward migration should stop. I think what the majority are saying is that immigration policy needs to be more focused on the needs of the country, not merely exploitative employers looking for cheap labour, and that it needs to take into account availability of accommodation, medical and other services.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Work where? Doing what? The jobs that have been filled previously are disappearing by the day. This (UK) article is from last July and things have unfortunately got a LOT worse since then in the hospitality industry. It’s as bad if not worse here.

So what jobs are available if you care to enlighten me?

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2023/07/restaurant-closures-hit-decade-high/

Post edited by Elmer Blooker on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Elections on the way - instead "look over here" that we've heard you on the need to reform immigration/AS/IP rules, and "look over here" that we're moving the Children's allowance extension forward to coincidentally the same day as the elections.

Surely also a coincidence that the latter was announced on the same day as the latest twist in the bottomless pit that is the Children's Hospital...

In other words, deflection and distraction, aided and abetted by a compliant docile media in most cases.

It was all going so well... up to this... 🙄

• Advertisement

You really should go and look that up for yourself Elmer. There are jobs. Even here we have people complaining about Tesco interviewing IPAs at their accomodation.

Are you saying there are no jobs left in the country?

Advertisement