Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I didnt say FG were amazeballs, I said if there is no other party taking a different stance, there is not an option for people to vote differently.

If you disagree, tell me whom they would vote for?

If you had any experience of multinational activity in Ireland, you would realise there are tens of thousands of irish folks working in high paid roles as a direct result of FDI, in Ireland!

All of those jobs could easily be moved abroad....then you would see your brain drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think our trailer park culture is well and truly happening, and specifically for Irish people finding themselves out on their own

We are still a lightly populated country.

The only mistake, and it is a huge one, is not building infrastructure in line with population increase.

We can catch up on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

It will take years if we’re committed to taking 15000 asylum seekers a year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

Is that 15k before or after family reunification and before they start having loads of kids, as is usual in these communities?

Post edited by Jizique on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Ireland Independent party a growing party maybe an option. The number of Irish who left and returned in recent years differs by 1-2 thousand only .

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/02/12/td-michael-fitzmaurice-becomes-third-to-join-independent-ireland-political-party/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The Irish Independent Party may be an option for some indeed. But realistically, how many candidates will they field and how many seats could they potentially win?

Can't see it being more than 2 or 3.

Yes, there is not much of a difference betwwen irish emigrants and immigrants, but if there were no good jobs to come back to, it would be a different story.

We need to keep the good jobs we have in Ireland and in order to do that, we need to attract skilled migrants from Europe, US, India etc, otherwise the talent pool for the MNCs would make locating here unviable. Its common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

You're conflating legal immigrants with asylum seekers and refugees.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

I am not.

Some folks are calling for a cap on all migration. I am pointing out how stupid and self-damaging that policy would be.

• Advertisement

On the question of why are we so dependent on foreign staff in certain sectors? Well Tesco are now actively interviewing in IPAS centres so any Irish person going for the same jobs will be at a disadvantage as they're more likely to know employment law or have access to people who do and are willing to advocate on their behalf. Also IPAS have their accommodation and food neds met, so don't have those expenses compared to Irish workers and are more likely to take up those jobs.

To paraphrase the Central Bank, more immigration is needed to keep wages down.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

It's called muddying the waters, there is an immigration thread, this is the zero refugee thread. I realise it can be confusing at times, but you have to pay attention to the thread you're posting in.

People in this very thread have posted about halting all migration.

Read the posts.

I am absolutley aware there is a difference between skilled migrant labour and asylum migration, but some folks on this thread are calling for BOTH to be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭TokTik

The only people in this thread who I’ve seen “advocate” for halting all migration are the open borders posters trying to muddy the waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

I haven't read any posts calling for a halt to all migration. If there were, it would be very much an outlier opinion.

Everybody recognises we need inward migration to plug empty roles of skilled positions. Some posters (many) believe we don't require masses of unskilled labour to 'keep wages down'.

Refugees are another category of migrants. Some probably do have skills, many probably do not.

Imo, since we are already in a massive bloc of freedom of movement with over 440 million persons, we should fully tap into that resource before even contemplating giving refugees access to our labour market.

I see your point, but if the refugees are already here and are willing and able to work, why would we not want them to do so?

They would them be able to pay their own way, for a start.

Well they'd be essentially skipping the queue of eu nationals for jobs. Additionally it creates a perverse incentive: forgo combersome migration rules by arriving here as a tourist and then claim asylum. Maybe after x number of years they could be given employment rights. But i'd prefer a delay so as to dissuade them from pursing that route : claiming asylum as an economic migrant.

I'd also input some language requirements.

Yes, there would have to be a pre req steps in place. Succesful Refugee application, language skills etc. No shortcuts, but there should be some kind of pathway.

Overall, we arent going to get away with not housing refugees and once the real problems in Africa start, global asylum migration is going to be on another level.

So we would do well by learning to sway with the wind, rather than against it.

We are in a sort of "Race to the Bottom", in terms of dissuading refugees to land on this island via the benefits they are awarded. Our political class are too busy virtue signaling to notice. Being a small island off north western coast of europe gives us geographic advantages over our peers in this respect. It's a matter of political will.

For example, if one is successful at their asylum claim (x number of years before you can re-apply, and no appeal), they'd still have to live in a purpose built DP centre for say, 10 years before they can join the labour market. I'd guess something like that may dissuade opportunistic applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Augme

Which means that any argument against refusing or cutting down on refugees because Ireland is full should be ignored. People can't say Ireland is full while also saying there is no issue in more immigration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Only because it is true and unarguable ..uncomfortable for you I suppose .

There have always been foreign doctors staffing our hospitals in this country. Senior experienced

doctors that were absolutely vital .

Nurses have been Irish and English mainly until the 00s .

What's this about " importing cheap labour " ? Lol

Don't let any employers hear you say that !

We have one of the highest minimum AND average wages in the OECD , per hour, in the top 15 for both , not to mention tightly regulated conditions of employment which are adhered to .

You want to avail of cheap Labour markets Croatia and Poland are in the running for the lowest wages , certainly not Ireland .

Working conditions are arguably making us less competitive than other countries , not at all what you infer .

But carry on there regardless..

So yeah, yez are all talking the usual xxxx to justify your pontificating ..

Excuse me?

Two of the posts I quoted in my last post were posters anti all immigration/ better off before type of stuff so don't blame others for muddying the waters!

10 years paying for someone to live here ??

Thats not a good thing.

Let people work and pay tax if they want to as soon as they have a successful application.

What about all the complaints previously about young men hanging around with nothing to do?

The point of waiting for status serves a couple goals.

1) conditions in their home country may change since their AS application so it's now safe to return.

2) languishing around on subsistence level of dole is unattractive. The point of asylum is that people are safe, not enriched.

Personally I would advocate confining them to DP centres, not out in public.

I agree with Housing them in DP centres alright but not detaining them and certainly applications processing needs to be much faster than previously.

But they are allowed to work after 6 months because it is better for them to be employed and earning,

You know why that is I think.

Sure, that's because we have a ruling class that believes we are fighting inflation by 'keeping wages low'.

Meanwhile undermine our actual immigration laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭thereiver

The problem is we don't have the staff to process 1000s of migrants and send them back if their applications to stay here is refused our economy needs to be in the EU that's why company's like Facebook Google are based here we have a shortage of doctors nurses and gardai and the housing crisis continues

At least the government reduced welfare payments for Ukrainian migrants to 38 euro

We have to follow EU law in processing migrants

On the plus side our hotels retail stores cafes could hardly exist without the people from EU country's who came here to work

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Most people today are living wage to wage and few have savings they can afford to have

Your making out a lot of false stuff about past.

My parents were considered lower to middle class and we always had enough. Yes things to house had be done bit by bit but we had holidays, went to matches etc.

That was with one income coming in too for while.

Combined incomes of 100-120k are struggling today.

Something badly wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Oh look.. Roderic is now spouting "far right rhetoric" as well!

Integration minister Roderic O'Gorman said 60% of people seeking international protection do not meet the criteria of fleeing war and persecution

I especially liked this bit :

"I don't judge anybody for wanting to make a better life for themselves. But if they're coming to Ireland, there are other mechanisms in terms of work permits and the like."

Maybe he's been reading my previous posts on this topic (Hi Roderic!)

Of course, this is so transparent it's ridiculous. The only reason that they are now publicly acknowledging that water is indeed wet is because the party bosses are obviously terrified about their chances in the upcoming local and euro elections - same reason why they've suddenly decided to bring forward the child benefit extension as announced today.

If you are here Roderic (or whatever staffer is monitoring these sorts of threads/sites), you're fooling no one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

Agree. But that was pre-generous dole (plus all the other benefits) Ireland.

Up until the mid 90's, most men and women in my rural area in the West who couldnt find work left to work in UK, US, Australia, Germany, etc.

Now the unemployed are so spolit they won't work or take min wage jobs, so the country depends on immigrants to fill these positions.

Advertisement