Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up with Anti vape agenda

Options
  • 13-02-2024 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1 rogipih942

The anti vaping agenda across the western world is extremely disturbing, it's obvious that big Tabbaco are behind it.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Big tobacco own all the vape companies dude, not sure your argument stacks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Most untrue post.

Vaping = nicotine delivery so definately the realm of Big Tobacco.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The rubbish they produce is horrible but most human consumption does these days anyway. I'm OK with disposable ones being banned. Bought a good one for weed lately that is great no more tobacco in my life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Why ban both? Makes no sense

Op tell us about this agenda - in detail

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Everlong1

From a health point of view, there are legitimate concerns that kids are being targeted by these products which could be a gateway to nicotine cigarettes. We've spent long enough trying to discourage smoking and it's destructive effects on health without kids being lured into smoking all over again by trendy marketing gurus and their day - glo all flavours products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I'm sick of the Cúnts selling to children and teens

• Registered Users Posts: 82,383 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They try to ween people off sugary drinks by taxing them to encourage drinks made using aspartame which is actually proven to cause cancer. Nothing yet proved to link any cancer to vaping, while not ideal it's certainly better than smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

This. It had the potential to be a less dangerous alternative to smoking for those who already smoked. Instead it was marketed to kids to get them hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭893bet

The move from suger to artificial sweeteners is crazy in my mind.

Even the “none diet” versions of drinks like Club orange and 7-up have reduced suger and added sweetners. Apparently that’s what the consumer what’s.

Not this consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Vaping seems quite idiotic to me. The tobacco industry absolutely selling the idea to younger folks.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Vaping without previously smoking or being otherwise already addicted to nicotine is indeed idiotic. Continuing to smoke cigarettes when much safer vaping products are available is also idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

i smoked about 20-30 major a day for about 35yrs,have to say the morning cough was great!!! good mate of mine put me onto the vaping thing and have to say within a month the cough was gone and i could taste food again,can breath alot better and walk uphill without wheezing,that was 40r5yrs ago,still vape the odd time...now having said that i think marketing those disposable jobbies to kids shouldnt be allowed at all...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭tphase

I predict you will get no answer - OP is a bot (IMHO)

• Just ban nicotine from vapes and remove from tobacco. People will lose interest soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Went from smoking 20 a day for 9years costing easily 120e a week to vaping.

I bought a rechargeable vape, cost me 35e and the liquids cost me 5e for 4 bottles of sapphire 12mg every 2 weeks

I replace the vape once a year as the battery gets well worn.

I must be saving thousands compared to when I was smoking.

I'm not blind I'm sure vaping has negative effects but so far smoking is definitely worse and it helped me give up the smokes.

Next step is to try give up the nicotine altogether I've been reducing my mg of nicotine in it since I started to try ween off it, next step is 6mg and lower voltage hit.

Honestly if it wasn't for vaping I'd still be smoking 20 a day maybe more and my health would be definitely worse. Only time I cough now is when I have a cold.

They need to get rid of the disposables, all them flavours and different colours lighting up its clearly aimed at kids and teens, if I could go back in time I'd never of picked up a smoke.

Ban the disposables, double the fines if caught selling to kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭Damien360

I'll be a small bit pedantic. Aspartame is on the list of possible cause of some cancers based on very limited studies. It has a long way to go for full confirmation. Look for peer reviewed articles only.

The bigger issue for it and other artificial sugar substitutes is your liver does not know, due to evolution, how to process this sugar efficiently so is believed to be a key cause of the fast rise of obesity. The issue with each of these outcomes is who funds the scientific study. So the conclusions will vary. It's not unknown for companies to fund science to get the conclusions they require.

With regard to peer review and it's need. There are tons of junk science articles due to the need in many Chinese universities and some others need for a published article to get your degree. This has given rise to paper mills, ChatGpt driven junk and pooling of papers to get enough big words together to get it published. What is happening is washing away of good science in a stream of junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'm another ex smoker who used vaping to quit.

I don't vape at all now.

I agree the targeting to children and teens is awful.

That said, I'd be wary of going the route of making it a fully medical product only available through pharmacies. The risk being if the price goes too high it won't be attractive to smokers.

I'm not saying to put current smokers above future generations, only to ensure the price stays low when restricted as a public health measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You're vaping nearly 10 years! So it hasn't helped you quit. If vapes weren't available you might still have quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

What? I'm vaping 2-3 years. I've cut down on the mg on nicotine I take gradually.

It has helped me quit smoking which is worse then vaping

Where you get 10 years from?

If vapes weren't available I'd most certainly be still smoking 20 a day maybe more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 SilentBee

I have been vaping for almost 12 months now and it is the best decision I have ever made. I do agree that the disposables should be banned. far too damaging to the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,047 ✭✭✭✭event

Please tell us more about aspartame and how its actually proven to cause cancer. And please include the level of aspartame you would have to consume to cause cancer. Proven of course

• Registered Users Posts: 82,383 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

WHO report last year mentions around 8-9 cans a day may be the amount to trigger the risk factor. It sounds too much to me like the no harm "light" cigarettes that were compared to full fat cigarettes, later found out to be no such thing as a safe cigarette.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

I’ve never seen an ad for a vape. Where are these marketing geniuses marketing vapes to kids??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Packaging is marketing. They are bright and colourful in fairness. And visible in shops.

I vape btw, I see them regularly. I only buy them online though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Homelander

"JECFA concluded that the data evaluated indicated no sufficient reason to change the previously established acceptable daily intake (ADI) of 0–40 mg/kg body weight for aspartame. The committee therefore reaffirmed that it is safe for a person to consume within this limit per day. For example, with a can of diet soft drink containing 200 or 300 mg of aspartame, an adult weighing 70kg would need to consume more than 9–14 cans per day to exceed the acceptable daily intake"

So you have to drink up to 14 cans every single day to actually surpass what's deemed a safe limit and enter the completely hypothetical risk factor zone.

That's a very, very far cry from "It is proven to cause cancer" in your first post.

Anyone drinking 14+ cans of soft drinks every single day has a serious problem that would manifest in some other unhealthy way if it wasn't drinking soft drinks.

What you're doing would be akin to saying "I can't believe they promote sausages, they're proven to cause heart disease" because you'd be at serious increased risk of same.....if you ate 14 every single morning.

The same hysteria is regularly applied to vaping as well. "Sure they're worse than the cigarettes". Completely unsubstantiated claim that typically boils down "So you're saying they're good for you?". No, no-one is saying vaping is good for you, or that it has zero effects, but given what we do know, it seems a far better prospect for your health than smoking cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,047 ✭✭✭✭event

You said ".......aspartame which is actually proven to cause cancer."

I asked for proof it causes cancer.

The link you provided says: Citing “limited evidence” for carcinogenicity in humans, IARC classified aspartame as possibly carcinogenic to humans

Thats not proof. So go again, show us the proof Aspartame causes cancer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭randd1

My brother, who's into spending all his day "researching" various topics on the internet instead of getting a job, is always on about the aspartame being brutal for you and giving you cancer (no real evidence to say it does, though it increases the risk slightly).

Now, I like the diet drinks, mostly because they don't feel like I'm tonguing out a sugar beet. But I used to only drink sugary drinks when I was younger, and a lot of them. They were very addictive to me. But as I've got older, the diet drinks came into play, and I've stuck with them. Now, the thing is there, they taste just as good for me. They're fine, they just don't have the same kick as the sugary stuff but perfectly fine.

But the thing is, I was drinking about 2ltrs a day of the sugary stuff, and did for a few years. I simply don't do that any more, and haven't for a long time. I'd have a can of the no-sugar stuff a day, usually in ice at dinner time, or if we're out and about I might pick up a bottle, but I'm consuming at least 2ltrs of water a day and consistently do.

The brother on the other hand, about half sugary drinks (aspartame causes cancer don't you know), quarter coffee, quarter water a day. Numerous health problems compared to myself and he's 6 years younger. So much for "research".

The point being sometimes things are the lesser of two evils. The same with vaping. It's probably not as bad, or likely to have as many effects, long term as smoking. And from what I know talking to people, it does seem to help in some way compared to regular auld cigarettes.

The problem with vaping though isn't people vaping, it's young people vaping, being targeted towards them, poorly regulated with regard to them, and the strong possibility of addiction to them given their young age. So I see no problem in targeting vaping as bad when it comes to discouraging young people. Once their adults, it's their decision, but discourage away.

Advertisement