Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened? Banned from a forum I didn't even post in?

Options
  • 07-02-2024 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

I didn't even post in After hours or Current affairs, but my account is restricted from both.

Can someone offer an clarity here?

Last thread I posted was in "Legal Discussion".

I haven't even been active in the former two.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Hi @Sugar_Rush,

Can you recall a time when you were ever banned from After Hours or Current Affairs?

There has been some updates in the background to fix a small glitch regarding permanent forum bans since the switch to the Vanilla platform. Since this update it would appear that some users who had a permanent ban applied in the past have had the ban reactivated.

I will bring this thread to the attention of the AH and CA Moderators. They will be able to resolve with you whether or not you are banned from the forum.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Not permanently no.

I was given temporary suspensions from Current Affairs for posting links to criminal cases that were before the courts at that time.

But that was absolutely not permanent.

Ok. I'll ask the moderators to look at this for you.

• Hi Sugar_Rush, I will check now for you whether or not you were previously banned from AH and what length ban was applied.

Be right back.

• Okay yeah I see now you had been permanently banned by @Ten of Swords back in 2022.

You will need to speak to them to ascertain the reasons and indeed discuss lifting the ban if appropriate to do so.

• Advertisement

AH, possible, I can't quite recall. If there was a glitch where that was lifted, perhaps I didn't even notice. I was posting my usual movie-one-liner specials just fine until I saw I couldn't access the forum any more.

But Current Affairs?

Definitely not or ever permanently banned. Yet the same restriction is in effect.

• Yes you received a permanent ban from After Hours after being warned for inappropriate comments and continuing to make them. This was in July 2022. The 28th of July you were banned.

As BBoC explained there had been an issue with our mod tools, namely permanent bans did not work properly. That is the reason for your access being revoked suddenly it appears the problem was fixed.

The CA ban you will need to discuss with a CA mod as I have no information about this.

edit; I have confirmed you were banned from AH permanently and had a DRP thread where a cmod agreed with your ban. You can probably appeal the ban again as it’s been a while now but BBoC as an admin might be better to confirm that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@Sugar_Rush I will get back to you re Current Affairs later today.

As Dexter Scarce Radius and BBoC have said there was a small issue with the mod tools but it only affects users who previously had a permanent ban from a forum.

@Big Bag of Chips

You can probably appeal the ban again as it’s been a while now but BBoC as an admin might be better to confirm that.

As it's been a while, can I appeal the After Hours ban as the moderator above suggested?

I'm happy to remove the permanent ban if the AH moderators are in agreement. You have been posting there recently. I have not looked at your posting history, but I assume you have not been causing issues in the forum?

I would advise that as you had already picked up a permanent ban from AH it might be worth reflecting on your posting and ensure you've made changes from the style that picked up the ban originally.

• Advertisement

I'm happy to remove the permanent ban if the AH moderators are in agreement

@Ten of Swords @[Deleted User] Good to go?

ensure you've made changes from the style that picked up the ban originally.

Done.

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

OK I had a look back and you don't appear to have had a permanent ban from CA - as far as I can see - but you were banned from CA for 6 months back in July 2022 which is the next highest sanction before a permanent ban.

Since then you have picked up a string of warnings from multiple moderators across a range of different forums, however I can also see that you have picked up no warnings to date this year.

I'll remove the permanent ban from CA but if you start picking up mod warnings this conversation will be revisited.

Thanks

And re BBoC readiness to lift the AH ban?

Honestly I think it will be blue skies and clear sailing from here forth.

Advertisement