Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Would I be correct in the assumption that you are disputing population densities and accuracy of figures to somehow argue that "it's not genocide"?

Perhaps you missed the post showing 12,000 children have been murdered in 3 months by Israel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Already been pointed out twice on this thread. The battle for Mosul, less civilians casualties in a population density twice that as Gaza. Once coalition forces evacuated who they could, the population density was on par with Gaza. The end result a much lower civilian casualty rate. Then again coalition forces were not dropping 2000lb dumb bombs as that would have been wreckless.

At the end of this, Gaza could have the same death toll as Mariupol and that was and is a genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭thereiver

There's a good article about the crisis in Gaza on the guardian UK website opinion section

It says the Israeli government is made up of right wing party's their policy is simply to bomb the hell out of Gaza there's no peace plan or a plan to have a ceasefire the only hope is that Biden might stop sending arms to Israel as the civilian casualties increase

The idf relys on a constant stream of weapons and bombs from the us government

The present Israeli government is extremely right wing the idf even killed 2 ambulance workers who were sent to rescue a child in the last week there is simply no safe space left in Gaza mode people in Gaza are not members of hamas if the civilians are not killed by bombs they are at risk or starvation there's a shortage of food and basic medical supply's

We are witnessing war crimes and genocide against a defenceless civilian population of course hamas are a ruthless violent terrorist group but the present bombing of civilian buildings houses and mosques is not justified the Israeli government had warnings that a hamas attack was coming before Oct 7th but they did not think that hamas had the resources to mount an attack and break thru the border defences with missiles drones and other vehicles

The hamas attack was well planned and designed to attack in a short space of time and overwhelm the border defences

In the 70s in Ireland we had the Ira planting carbombs we should understand most civilians don't support extreme violent terrorist attacks hamas only has the support of a small percentage of civilians in Gaza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm questioning dmacdona's figures for children killed in Ukraine: considering that Russia has been murdering Ukrainians wholesale for two years (having started that war totally unprovoked), any number not at least 4 digits looks questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,817 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Because the Ukrainian casualty numbers have to be a lie right - because otherwise that would be another nail in the coffin in favor of the Israel genocide claim wouldn't it.

What other war that isn't already commonly regarded as a genocide (WW2, Cambodia, Bosnia, Rwanda, etc.) resulted in 12,000+ child deaths in 3, 4 months?

I'm not taking anything away from the reports below but I'd imagine the outrage from some Israelis (and their supporters) would put their outrage about the deaths of 12,000 Palestinian kids in the ha'penny place.

Haaretz:

The niece of Fernando Marman, rescued from captivity by the IDF this week, said that he did not receive the medicine delivered to Gaza specifically for him as part of a deal with Hamas.

Agam Goldstein-Almog, who was released from Hamas captivity during the hostage deal in November, said that one of the hostages was sexually assaulted at gunpoint.

For any other potential queries on comparisons of the deaths of children in war:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Well he seems.....Nice

"In Gaza we deal only with terrorists. If someone gets a b*llet - he probably deserves it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I coulda sworn it was established here Hamas would never sexually assault anyone, and that Hamas can be trusted to distribute aid properly if the Israeli's let aid in?

Anywho Israeli Scumbaggery to blame I'm sure.

• Advertisement

It was also sworn that Bibi's Amalek speech was just locker room talk

Then users here conceded that slaughtering sheep was 'a bit much'

Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

I don't think anyone "established" either of those points here.

Many (not all) have unequivocally condemned all actions of Hamas against Israelis and Palestinians alike. I have posted Haaretz reports of Hamas stealing food.

But that does not excuse the actions of Israel against civilians - particularly the IDF and Settlers.

Dear God. How on earth could someone say what he just said and claim to be human? .....

Haaretz:

South Africa's government said that it had asked the International Court of Justice at The Hague to consider whether Israel's decision to extend its military operations in Rafah required the court to use its power to prevent further breach of Palestinians' rights.

Feel the Bern

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

What has Biden said about the Rafah operation? Or is he still doing next to nothing.

Im sure this SA action will result in a lot of Anti SA posts here. They dont like like the country they support being called out like this.

What did the post you were responding to have to do with the United States? Deflection.

Biden has a role in what is happening in Rafah. it is not deflection to ask what his view is regarding this operation. The united States is the only country Israel listens to and Biden is its leader.

• Advertisement

What does any of that have to do with the quoted post?

What have you bothered to research about his view regarding operations in Rafah?

I apologise for quoting the post then.

what is your deal regarding Biden. Do you think he is doing enough to protect the citizens of Gaza?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭volchitsa

We didn't see people in Derry or Belfast spitting on the corpses of murdered women though, did we? And shouting "Thanks be to God" as they did so, too.

So I wouldn't be so sure that you can apply the same logic as Northern Ireland to "Islamic Resistance", ie Hamas. For one thing, they've been running the education system for 20 years, and have been brainwashing children to want to kill Jews. There was nothing comparable in Northern Ireland. Though I'm sure the IRA would have loved to get a good crack at the education system if they could have. Easiest way to brainwash a population.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Not 70 men. Men of 70 - and that's what the discussion was about: a claim that the Israelis were lying about the hostage rescue because a tweet said that one of the men had been released back in November. Which one second's thought should have told anyone who had a clue about this couldn't possibly be true - and wasn't. If you jumped in without understanding all that, that's really not my problem.

And if you think engaging your brain before posting nonsense is mental gymnastics, well...

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Anyone who criticises SA for going to the ICJ in the first place and then going back to express further concerns needs to be aware that firstly, as a signatory to the genocide convention, they have a legal duty to prevent genocide.

Secondly, criticism of a further visit by SA to the ICJ is tacit acceptance of the worsening and possibly catastrophic conditions in Gaza being simply "meh".

I do not have the ability to go to the ICJ - I couldn't give a hoot who went to the ICJ. Someone had to go. It just happened to be SA - that's all.

When this is all over, at least SA can hold their heads up and genuinely say "we tried".

What is Israel doing to protect the citizens of Gaza?

For a nation that makes sure everyone knows it's a supposed "beacon of light" and "the only democracy" in the Middle East, it is on a free fall trajectory down that particular league table.

As for Biden, does anyone honestly believe it is solely within his purview to simply snap his fingers and Netanyahu will do as he's told? Politics doesn't work like that. Biden and the US plus many many other countries have told Israel not to attack Rafah.

If Israel does, and the Gazans are slaughtered in their 10's of thousands, I think there is a distinct possibility that one or more countries nearby will unleash hell on Israel. Please god it doesn't get to that - this is all on Netanyahu and his warmongers. Not on Biden.

I think he should do more. I think Obama would have done more. If he put his foot down and demanded they not go ahead with the operation in rafah I don't think Israel would begin it. Instead he has said that citizens should be protected at all costs which is similar to the icj ruling that Israel has so far ignored.

Of course I agree that Israel will be ultimately responsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭circadian

They're all Hamas. Hamas everywhere. Whats happening now makes this look like a cakewalk in comparison. These areas don't even exist any more.

• Advertisement

Do you really think if Biden said something like

"Well Netanyahu, you'd better not go into Rafah or there'll be wigs on the green - AND I REALLY MEAN IT"

would actually make a difference?

If not, what do you propose Biden should do? Threaten attack? Threaten to not send any more weapons? Threaten to send Tucker Carlson to do interviews?

Advertisement