Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

I was hoping she'd ask him something about German politics. Should the German government attempt to ban the AfD, Ryan?

IMO it's harder to move to a new city at 50 than 20. When you're 20, you're just starting out - up for a good time, curious, not fussy. At 50, you have built your life wherever you are. Your friends are there, your home comforts are there. And in this case, his family is there. I love London but the air quality is terrible. Give me Dublin's fresh air any day. I'd do it for a year at a push, which is likely what he has in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Morgans

It is something that the last months have shown that simultaneously:

• moving away from home is hard
    • moving away to London is great
    • Being recognised by Irish people walking down the street is great
    • Being an unknown in London is great
    • Ryan has to live like a student - buying lamps and washing up liquid, you know the mundane stuff
    • Ryan fills his week meeting celebrity Irish colleagues/friends who invite him to plays/dinners/cinemas
    • And then there's the books

It's all nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

No one made him move to London. Without wanting to get personal. He made quite a lot of money working for RTE. He was there for almost four decades. He should have sufficent savings and investments not to need to work again.

Especially given his only intrest is books. Which are pretty cheap. Cheaper still if you use a libary.

He could have just as esaily stayed in Dublin.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I couldn't bear to watch the interview. I imagine it was painful viewing.

• Advertisement

Indeed. Unless it genuinely appealed to his sense of adventure, or whatever, it was a mad move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

I got about half way through it, before I had to stop to save my mintal elf.

The interviewer knew her stuff, though, so Ryan got a bit defensive at times. And if I hear that "God in a hoodie" (makey-uppey?) anecdote ever again........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Assuming that conversation ever took place, what is 'mugged by god in a hoodie' supposed to mean? I've heard him repeat it a few times but I must have missed the original yarn he was spinning about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Washing up liquid 😀😀😀😀what is he like, I bet kait has him sussed

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was the same, but he kinda explains it in the interview.

Apparently sometimes when a guy in a hoodie mugs you, in his instance this equates to all the bad press and slagging he was getting online, you wonder why you deserved the beating.

Then the guy in hoodie takes down thr hood to reveal himself as God, and kinda means he did it for a bigger purpose, and that you'll come out of it stronger.

Something like that....I think....

• Advertisement

Something about how badly he (Ryan) was treated by somebody in a hoodie (by RTE he meant) - knifed, kicked, beaten etc kinda thing - then as the mugger moved on, he dropped his hoodie, identified himself as Jesus or God, and said something like "there you go" - or "go in peace" or some other similar platitude.

Sorry I'm a bit vague about it, but I was heaving into the coal scuttle at the time.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Thanks, makes sense now. I could only make it through a minute or two of the interview so I wouldn't have heard that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I only watched a couple of minutes, it's at the start.

I couldn't watch much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

He'd never be asked questions like that in RTE. Of course, he's not in RTE any more. :) (I think that he was doorstepped in RTE by a journalist on the pay issues years ago and he didn't take it well. The RTE journo is still working in RTE too.)

Regards...jmcc

It reminds me of the South Park episode about Britney spears, about media(rte) building people up only to tear them down for a good harvest

God in a hoodie is your friend disguised as your enemy. You think you're being beaten, but you're actually being delivered to a happier place that you'd never have voluntarily gone because of the pain involved. Corny. Man's Search for Meaning it ain't. He should put it to bed now.

Best thing would be to lie low and avoid interviews

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Same here. I actually only had a look on YouTube because someone mentioned the comments, on the thread. He was stuttering something along the lines of - just because you're 50 that doesn't make you an adult, or something.

I shut it quickly - I don't even have a coal scuttle 😁

As for the imaginary conversation with the late Sinead O'Connor, I think someone explained the 'god in a hoodie thing' to me before but I had forgotten what it was supposed to mean. The bottom line is that in Tubridy's world, it's everyone else's fault that things happened as they did 🙄. He is the poor hapless mugging victim.

Give me strength.

Omg he's been found out 😆😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭Tork

I don't think the move to London was about the money. He's in an industry where you get forgotten about very quickly, so he needed something to stay in the public eye. He was starting to slide into obscurity until this gig came up. Even if he's financially set up for life, he is still relatively young. Few 50-year-olds are even thinking about retiring yet. What else would Tubridy do? He has spent most of his working adult life behind a microphone and it's hard to know what else he could turn his hand to.

This gig in London is both good and bad for him. On the one hand it's keeping his profile in Ireland reasonably high. On the other, it's exposing his limitations for all to hear. Should he try to get a bigger job back in Ireland in a year or two, the threat of him switching to a UK broadcaster is gone.

Has anyone been listening to Oliver Callan - how's he doing in the 9am slot?

My sis is enjoying him; says he's less manic than Tubridy, a relaxing, humorous accompaniment to her morning coffee.

The slot is up 12K listeners in a year, I think.

Regards...jmcc

So is his earning capacity. No Irish broadcaster was willing to pay him the same ridiculous amount of money that he was getting on the mismanaged RTE. He's on a fraction of what he used to earn and working more hours. He's off Irish TV and off Irish national radio. There is a lot of younger talent in the Irish broadcast industry and even the aging ex-RTE presenter market is getting quite competitive.

Even Joe Duffy is said to be considering returing. Tubridy trying to do Liveline would be so funny that it would cause a rip in the Space-Time continuum. And his future in Virgin Radio is still far from certain. The longer he's out of the national Irish broadcasting market, the more difficult it will be to get back into it because it will not be the one that he left last year. RTE is also facing reorganisation and many of those who championed his retention are gone.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The whole Virgin gig is just extraordinary. I guarantee you, all is not as is seems and there is some sort of a 'strategy/shenanigans' at play here with all players (RT, NKM, VR) complicit in it - Can't figure it out until the next phase plays out and then all will become apparent

The base question that needs to be asked, and makes me wonder what the strategy is, - is why has nobody in VR pulled up Ryan and said - 'Listen Ryan, we gave you a week of talking about Ireland on-air, we understood the nerves, the change of job etc, but 6 weeks later and you're still at it - We're a UK station, broadcasting to a majority UK audience so stfu about Ireland ok' ?

So it looks like that statement hasn't been put to Ryan and my question is, why not?

News UK might want to unload some of its Irish stations and hjaving a recognised Irish name might make that easier?

Cost cutting? His synidicated shows would mean fewer Irish people employed on them.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Firstly according to Virgin PD Mike Cass "He's a great cook and gets on well with everyone in the office". Secondly he knows how to brown nose the TOP DOG in Virgin Radio which is Chris Evans - whose word is to be feared as with his long running power / connection over the brand. 

The MD of News UK & IRL Scott Taunton is tone deaf to the mood of the nation or audiences of his stations - if he had his way he would broadcast Q102 across all the other network stations in Ireland and insert the odd local news bulletin and split local ad-breaks. Taunton is not interested in pleasing the audience, CnaM or anyone except the Murdochs, so he can retain his job and increase his bonus. He is known to be an uncharismatic and a dogmatic figure and for Scott Williams - he has little or no say in the real runnings of what "happens" to the stations here, as they are all just 'yes men' to Scott Taunton and the Murdoch family. There is no real standard at Virgin Radio, so one minute you can have the presenter Bam doing the tightest crunch and roll - world class music presentation and then have Ryan Tubridy - who in a real fair and just world would not secure an overnight slot at Beaumont Hospital Radio.

Whatever little cartel they have running with Paddy Power, NKM, News UK and Tubridy - all will be revealed as to their sh*tbaked plan in time. Yes, you may be right!

The level that The Ryan Tubridy Show has taken Virgin Radio mid-mornings to is an unprecedented low - out of all of his callers on Tuesday, most had Irish accents and were female, middle aged book readers - nothing more. The conversation is getting more and more boring and I would say listeners are tuning out after 30 seconds. The awkward cringe making comments and suggestions from Tubridy within these calls and chats has only gotten worse in the 6 weeks he has been on air. There is no connection being made, just a superficiality with these deluded types sycophantically fawning over Tubs, they are more to be pitied at their selection of hero when they can choose from any amount of good / better sounding hosts in Dublin and in the UK market. They can listen to Ken Bruce etc... so the appeal is VERY hard to understand or fathom. There is NOTHING likeable about Tubridy as a presenter on air.

It can easily be said that everything the LEGEND Steve Wright was, stood for, worked hard for and achieved is everything that Ryan Tubridy is NOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

What are the chances he's going to claim that Steve Wright rang him two weeks ago to tell him how much he loved his show?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Really getting into “conspiracy theory” territory now, lads.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭TheBMG

I would genuinely suspect there are some mentally fragile people on this particular thread tbh.

Tubs ain’t for me personally but anyone I know who’s worked with him have nice things to say and I wish the guy well.

moderator: TheBMG was warned for this - trolling

Post edited by hullaballoo on

Advertisement