Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Very few Id imagine.

Flogas Standard rate currently 43.59c/kw which will reduce to 36.99 c/kwh after the reduction of 15% in March.

Flogas 1 yr fixed rate is 27.03 c/kwh . Both plans have the came sc of €257.38 and all numbers include VAT.

That fixed rate plan is far more attractive as even another 15% reduction in the standard rate would still it pricier than the 1 year fixed rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭CrazyEric

Thinking of taking the plunge as the rates are ( including VAT)

14.57 night

30.08 Day.

My standing charge is high €423.36 ( Rural on MCC02)

By Bonkers calculations I am saving €45+ per month so if rates drop massively the €50 break fee will be well covered.

What are they like with online billing clarity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Never had a problem with Flogas billing when I was with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Billing is fine, takes ages to get your first bill but it's grand after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Recently, Flogas only offer new fixed plans. But some people are on old discounted contracts, I am still in a 2 year contract with a discount of 42% on electricity, so pay 25.2c now for electric and will get a reduction in March. This is below their current fixed rate. I'm happy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Has anybody got a good deal on D/N recently? I'm currently with EI on the old D/N tarrif with the new D/N smart meter. Out of contract next month. Dual fuel.

Looked through a few as I am out of contract with EI and the Flogas fixed price I mentioned above is the best I could find. Non smart meter, the rates are (including VAT)

14.57 night

30.08 Day.

My standing charge is high €423.36 ( Rural on MCC02)

By Bonkers calculations I am saving €45+ per month so if rates drop massively the €50 break fee will be well covered.

I use 60% night as I have a geothermal heat pump and underfloor heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Flogas gas new fixed rate now been offered.

Gas 8.99c, standing 151.19 euro. Reduction of 3.95% compared to previous fixed tariff

Ele 27.03c standing 257.38 euro. Reduction of 4.69% compared to previous fixed tariff.

Now this is below the community's deals a lot of us signed to last year thanks to this group we got to remember. The tariff at the time was 30c ele and 9.85c gas when the nearest supplier was over 30% higher. It is great to see the price continue to reduce even if it is slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Staying on a 24 tariff with current discounts on offer including up coming price cuts my usage is the following 4,000 kw eletric and 10,913 KW gas and leads to yearly costs of.

Flow Gas fixed - 2,462

Bord Gas variable - 2,509

SSE - 2,572

EI - 2,790 (bonker switcher offering 260 cash back not included)

Energia - 2,866.

I have excluded Yuno fixed tariff as there billing is a mess, however flogas rate is now lower and so is the standing charging.

Current supplier is Flow Gas on the community fixed deal works out at 2,808 a year. No point in breaking the contract as it expires on 1st of May and I'll switch based on what supplier has the best but its probably going to be Bord Gais with 22% elec /16% gas discounts. Most suppliers are slowly increasing new customer discount, we may never see 39% again however the worst of energy bills may be behind us.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

Have a D/N smart meter but not on a smart plan. The Energia Smart Drive 4hr night rate would be cheaper than what I'm paying now but if I go with a smart plan I would be stuck on smart plans. Are non-smart plans still generally better value than smart plans? Any good D/N non-smart plans out there? I would need night rate as about 70% of my usage is at night (EV, HP etc.) Currently paying 41c/20c D/N ex vat so not great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Flogas fixed would be a lot better than you are on now and if there are reductions later in the year or if waterpower starts accepting users again you can just pay the €50 charge. 600 night units on flogas would save you the price of the exit fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I went Bord Gais switching from Electric Ireland - Dual for a year.

There was not much in it between SSE and Bord Gais. Oddly switcher.ie had SSE cheaper. But bonkers.ie had Bord Gais cheaper. I typed into the same info into all the fields.

Unless I read it wrong the Standing Charge for Bord Gais was cheaper and seems to make the difference.

Funny enough I was more keen to switch because the Electric Ireland Sales called me a few weeks ago was so pushy (before my contract was up) it made me think, there must be a reason why he was so pushy.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Bill from BG (non-smart tariff) arrived today and our usage was 1100 kWh over the last two months for a 4 bed semi-d with heat pump. Just looking to sense check this usage with people. We have the usual household appliances and the heat pump/hot water.

It could be standard usage but it is only two of us at the moment, are we being loose with our energy usage or what?

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Our last two bills, for a month each, have been 248kwh and 269kwh. 3 bed end of terrace, oil central heating, 2 adults and 2 small kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Just out of electric contract with EI I was paying 35c after current discount (10%) which ended last week. They text saying they will ring with an offer. Smart plan unfortunately. 4000 units pa with no electric car or any fancy stuff. Maybe one of those weekend free plans might suit me. Are these being offered around?

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058326349/annual-electricity-cost-for-your-house#latest.

You are averaging 18 1/3 units a day which sounds good to me. If you look through the above thread it would give you a good idea of your usage comparisons but of course everyone's situation is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,058 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Surprised no media announcement about Community Power slashing prices. No contract exit fee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Not great are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,058 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Not the cheapest, no. However they have cheap SC and no exit fee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Muddy Fox

Would Flogas charge the break fee if moving from Community rate to Dual Fuel 24hr new fixed plan?

Because they're shite rates. They're finally doing a smart plan, it's rubbish but at least they're doing one. It's disappointing to see how poor the rates are, treasure island is alive and well...

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Thats a little over the top,They are in and around every other provider.No need to single them out.

Maybe, but I thought their model was to be well ahead of the conventional providers, if the prices took a big jump the customer got stung for that month and jumped ship to one of the providers. With those rates and standing charges they're no better than any of the others.

I don't think they do, some of the posters here have switched plans within the company and weren't charged. I'm going to wait until the end of March and see what's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Theres a low standing charge.

On the day / night for example, by my rough calculations, if you are less than about 3000 units a year it's cheaper than the flogas fixed day / night product.

But at that level of usage your bill wouldn't be your biggest burden anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I switched to SSE in the last week for their 24 hour Smart plan (29.62c per unit inc VAT) but noticed Electric Ireland now have a "Home Electric + Saver 24%" plan which is 27.23c per unit inc VAT from 1st March. Might be useful to someone.

Post edited by FourFourRED on

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

No way to comment without knowing how many m2, year built, BER etc but sounds good for heatpump and the two coldest months of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SocialSpud

Does that include peak rate? I'm finding it hard to find any plans without a peak rate included. Is this just the way it is?

Advertisement