Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The average male life expectancy in America is 73 , surely there's a couple of candidates in the whole country suitable that would be less than that at the end of the term if elected, obviously female candidates also, they tend to live a few years more....

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

3 way package (border deal, israel deal, ukraine deal) - House says: no, can't do it

2 way package (israel deal, ukraine deal) - House says: DOA, because no border deal in it, why no border deal in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭briany

That's the thing about Trump - he has that movement behind him. On the other side, the Democratic party is telling their voters what they're voting against but not much about what they're voting for.

Leave aside the people involved for a moment and look at the broader picture. Not just in the United States, but throughout the West. The political centre appears to have stagnated and is struggling to come up with a positive message, nor does the political centre appear much interested in figuring out how to address the concerns of voters in a meaningful way. There just seems to be this strange expectation that the wingnuts will just sort of disappear and all will be normal again. Without action, it seems obvious to me that this will not be the case.

And when you ask why there is this inaction, the answers are so sparse that people will inevitably fill those gaps in with whatever conspiracy theory is suitable.

To go back to the US, Biden may be a thoroughly decent man and know his way around political negotiation, but he's no talisman and he's running on much the same message that Hillary did which is basically beige 'more of the same, no new ideas', with a little pandering to fashionable causes thrown in. They're doing a hell of a job of making Donald Trump, of all people, seem in any way viable, but here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Judge Engoron’s verdict due this Friday, according to NBC.

Donald Trump is an adjudicated rapist and a crook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

In this Times Radio interview, Theroux is fatalistic in his prediction of the election result.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,435 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"They keep telling us to move because there is a hurricane coming, but they never tell us anything nice about where we are going so why should we care".

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hawkeye123

European NATO members are freaking out because Trump says they have to pay their dues or NATO won`t stand by them.

So, is NATO solidarity the myth I`ve always believed it to be?

Also, instead of paying their dues, couldn`t they leave NATO, apologize to Russia and if they gave anything to Ukraine, shouldn`t they demand repayment which could be used to compensate Russia?

But whatever ones views on NATO and membership of it and the payment of dues to that benighted organization, would it be fair to say peace is good too?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It’s not exactly a new take. It’s been kindof Trump’s point since day 1 seven years ago. And as the article observes, it’s a point which has been made for decades by his predecessors, except, horror, Trump might actually enforce consequences. That’s what is causing the Europeans fits, not that he’s wrong.

He has never said that he would not come to the aid of allies, period. He has always said that if the allied nations don’t think their security is worth investing their assets in, then he saw no reason for the US to risk its assets. Even his most recent statement was not all-encompassing and was only relating to the lack of expenditure. He has said nothing to indicate that if NATO countries meet the 2% threshold that he would leave them in the lurch regardless. Whatever about the rest of his presidency/candidacy, and I hope to hell he loses, that position is one I could support.

Small towns in the US often have optional dues to fund the local volunteer fire department, basically paying for the service. Complaining that the firefighters simply watch a house burn down on a non-paying homeowner to make sure that the neighbor’s house (who paid up) doesn’t burn down doesn’t go over all that well in some parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Does it not occur to the Republicans that their deference to Trump might lead them to a landslide defeat in this year's congressional elections as well as defeat in the presidential one? After all, the landslide victory that the Republicans expected in the 2022 mid-term elections did not materialise.

They're sorta on a rollercoaster of their own making with few ways off the rails except for political suicide (which, would ensure a Democratic Supermajority, shudder the thought). They spent so many cycles wagging the dog that the tail is steering the ship, and they feel, for whatever reason, beholden to a voting base who cannot see reason, they can't see a pathway where they win elections, and seats, and maintain otherwise sensible policies, so they only have fear etc. to market with. Hence why they're interested in keeping the border open for the next year - solving the problem now wouldn't be seen by this voting base as "Republicans showing they can govern" it would be "capitulating to those bastard woke traitor democrats"; this death spiral of the GOP has been going on for at least 12 or so years, a reaction to the Bush era burning through the public trust of traditional/neo conservatism via. the WMD hoax, the Enron scandal, and numerous other things that couldn't be papered over, and went utterly alight when a black president was elected, which poured hella gasoline on the base of voters who MAGA attracted, with all that GRT ****. First came the TEA movement, then MAGA. The party of McCain had long been dead in function.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I honestly don't think it does, and the fact that Haley doesn't seem to be in with a shot seems to me to be an indicator that the Republican party needs to implode and a third party arise from the ashes. It wasn't always Rep/Dem in US history.

While it implodes it seems we are to brace for more coup attempts and more political violence.

You think they have to pay money into a fund, don't you. You think there is a membership fee.

Wtf does "I want to be loved" mean?????

So he ousts the chair and shoves this one in?

I mean if the Republican Party installs a virus they deserve to have their coffers cleaned out.

If the party is imploding anybody and nobody is donating anymore, might as well empty the piggy bank.

Should Dems win the House Senate and Presidency again in November, the GOP/RNC will have maybe imploded for real this time without a penny to its name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

trump leaving the GOP broke and full of debt after another unsuccessful venture would be very on brand.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They are already broke..

The Republican Party is strapped for cash, with reports showing that its organizing committee, the Republican National Committee (RNC), has its smallest amount of cash on hand in a decade.

According to its latest filing with the Federal Election Commission (FEC), the RNC has $8 million cash on hand, the party's lowest fundraising year since 2013.

The report comes amid a flurry of financial problems for the GOP governing body. At the end of November, it reported its lowest bank balance at that point in any year since 2016, FEC disclosures showed. With $9.96 million in spending money, the RNC had less than half the $21.35 million it reported in 2016 after Donald Trump won the presidential election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Im sure the strategic benefit of NATO to the US outweighs any financial burden. Like What difference does it make to the US if Italy only spends 1% of gdp on its defence. That is not a cost to the US. The Italians allow the US navy access to its naval waters that is far more beneficial to the US. I’d say American military leaders are holding their heads in their hands after trumps comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Rawr

Kind of makes it hard for them when fundraising that traditionally goes into a campaign war-chest, is instead being funneled to the legal fund of the party leader while he fights scores of court battles.

You'd wonder how this might impact campaign adverts? I expect for older voters TV Adverts are still relevant, and without enough cash to buy the ad space they'll likely need, the GOP might have a harder time getting their message out.

I see the democrats have taken another seat in the house, successfully flipping George Santos seat from red to blue.

All these polls telling us that Trump is in the lead, poll after poll predicting a GOP win, yet every single time there is an actual election the republicans get hammered.

I know I'd far rather win elections than win polls, but thats just me. Anybody thinking polls are meaningful in 2024 is badly out of touch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement