Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else worried why tech billionaires driving AI are building bunkers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Don't forget 90 percent of the replies to this are AI bots designed to obfuscate their goals and make it all sound silly. Automated deflection agents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Cordell

I can be dramatic too: AI it's our only chance to end world hunger and poverty and the key to our survival long term. If anyone will solve the cheap energy / fusion / fossil fuel reliance problem it will be some AI. So it's better to be ours than Chinese. But, will it collect our rubbish? Will it educate our children? Will it nurse us in hospitals? The fk it will. What kind of labour will it kill then?

People were scared of electricity in the past, not so long ago they were scared of 5G, now it's AI's turn.

AI will end world hunger, interesting how.

AI will end poverty, interesting how.

More tech bro speak. Investor nonsense it's entire raison d'etre is to specifically remove costs from business. The costs - 'people'.

That's it. Not all this fully shite talk about world peace.

I'm not a tech bro, I don't have any reason to speak other than my interest and passion for technology. As for the how, I already said, cheap energy. If anyone makes it it will be with the help or totally because of AI, I've lost hope that we will see fusion otherwise. With cheap energy there will be less reasons for war, it will be easier to grow food, bring water for crops and drinking, build infrastructure, make the world better.

You haven't answered which labour will it be replacing. Be AI specific, don't answer something like robots and automation, we have had than for more than 100 years.

I've answered which Labour it will be replacing you ignored it with some guff about replacing labour for centuries.

There's a huge effort to brush over the level of impact this will have on typical jobs. White washing the seismic shift. This goes beyond invention of tractors or factory automation.

It will be quick and fast and drop off in middle-class work extremely quickly in single digit years. People probably want to bury their heads in the sand.

AI isn't solving fusion models it's being orientated by palo alto types to kill labour costs in companies. AI plug in agents for every single job you can think off in white colour workplaces all for a small monthly subscription.

Fusion work has always been orientated towards quantum computing and compute power. This stuff isn't remotely related to that space.

• Advertisement

You gave me only a vague answer - people, the white collar middle class type, in "seismic" numbers. I don't see any good argument for that to be the case, just as automation didn't kill manual labor, only made it different. They already know how to kill labour cost - they do layoffs, and there was no AI to tell them that. You know what, maybe AI will help here as well, it may be better to predict labour needs so that the companies won't have to go through hire and layoff cycles so often.

"Fusion work has always been orientated towards quantum computing and compute power" - that's simply nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭beachhead

Back to original post subject. The rich have always built bunkers. Howard Hughes,Rothschilds,look at Pompeii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I thought they were all in the Con Theories threads ?

non stop , continuous punching down on people 'stupid' enough to post something/anything in there ....... With 1000's of posts ..

Sounds about right....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Generically they're only 3 years old. Such is the length of deployment of these units.

🫨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

OpenAI have quietly removed a pledge not to use it for military use.

I would be building a bunker too.

Some experiments with AI have shown it get around the rules set for it and blowing us up to get what it wants.

Nothing but cold hard cash will drive it now, and drive it hard. It's the trillions in stock price is the only goal.

Wall street stops for nothing they knew of the impending doom of 2008 well in advance but individuals were making hay and would come out with twice as much hay the other side so they did it all anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

If the AI kill enough of humanity than I guess that technically might result in an end to world poverty and world hunger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

This bunker building reminds me also of Ben Elton's satirical book Stark - "Stark is a secret consortium with immense money and a despicable level of social conscience...Even worse is that it knows that the Earth hasn’t got much time left."

Rather than a fatalism about raw capitalism, and building a space escape, like in Elton's book, AI creators see the bleak future as one they are creating, but also that it is inevitable; after all, if they don't do it, somebody else will. So they might as well get their genius dues in the capitalist system and hide away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

I found this in my search last night. Looks nice !!

Out of interest, how would the super-rich keep super rich and in a bunker, unless the have an automated workforce? If anything the Fallout games have thought us, the masses always revolt. Imagine being the staff inside one of these, I would have it overthrown in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Loads of people would know where they are. Builders, suppliers, workers. If things really went bad and people knew they would be well stocked would be making a beeline for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Previous demi-gods - of ancient times in Egypt - had a practical way of preventing certain information being leaked out about the pyramids. There's modern conspiracist films to be made there in relation our modern demi-gods.😊.

here's the other solution:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Too busy hollowing out volcanoes & launching secret space stations to bother with undersea lairs 😁

And they called it conspiracy.... jobs will be the first to go. The misinformation and control via false made up events will be the next pressing thing.

Remember having to tell your parents not to believe fake links sent to them to phish their information. This goes beyond the realms of having to retrospectively convince people what they see is fake.

And this is only in its infancy. Early beta stuff.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭backwards_man

I read this last year and I have come to the conclusion that if the world ever gets to the point where these bunkers are necessary I would prefer to die in The Event, rather than have to eek out survival after it, which seems too grim and dystopian to contemplate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Weren't all these gadges clambering over each other to get into space a few years back? Now that they've been up there, they've no intention of going back and they're clambering to get as deep inside the earth as they can with the intention of staying there.

They must have seen something up there that spooked the bejayzus out of them!

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Ok so we all have no jobs and no money to buy said product and services provided by said billionaire companies. How do they make money. Just a thought.

They own everything, how did the landlords make money off peasant farmers.

Do you think keeping people in jobs will come into the thought equation. History shows us vastly different reality.

I wonder if the end does come where you need to live in a bunker, would the laws which usually help the rich out still work?

Maybe this will help alleviate some of your unfounded fears:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I wonder is something to do with having money or is it some thing to do with the type of brain they have, they all appear to be super smart but kinda disconnected from reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Suppose it may be better that them investing in dodgy islands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The baddie in The Beekeeper is a tech bro so culturally society must be tturning against them.

Advertisement