Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Cut any aid to said country.

Immigrant themselves if they want to play that game should be confined until such time as they can go home. I know these things are not easy but they are achievable with the will to do so. Europe has to have a visa system that works and a humane refugee system and needs to weed out chancers and tackle trafficking.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

I would have thought American liberals were more right wing than European liberals?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

A small number, statistically inconsequential to our health system.

No we do not "need" Deliveryoo drivers. Our economy works just fine without them.

Go on suvigirl, show us the evidence that countries are legally compelled to accept undocumented persons into their countries.

It's insane, just think of that for a moment in the context of 911.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That's not all healthcare workers in direct provision though. That's only the numbers who specifically applied for covid specific accomodation. There would have been many who couldn't goto that accomodation cause it was too far away.

You were proved wrong 👍

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I never said there were no AS that worked in healthcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No, you made the assertion and I asked you for evidence to support it.

I didn't offer my own opinion on your assertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well, firstly there's the overarching fact that undocumented persons still have rights and still are subject to fair procedures. There is no distinction in international law that says from the moment someone is undocumented they lose all their rights — so there is still a need to actually process them on arrival.

It's in that process that the difficulty arises. Even if they are rejected, the practicalities and feasibility of deportation is often hamstrung by various elements such as the difficulty in determining the country of origin definitively, successfully co-operating with the proper authority of the origin country to even deal with the matter and accept the deportee, or indeed getting another EU country through which they travelled to accept the re-assignment of this deportee (i.e. the old stick 'em back on the plane to Belgium). This has long been one of the major difficulties with deportations and I have long said that the answer to this lies at the EU level — that through collaboration and combined effort the EU states can create a more effective and functioning system for deportations.

So no, there is not necessarily an explicit obligation to "accept" undocumented persons but there are basic obligations that combine to require that you do have to at least give them fair procedure. The problem is what you actually do with them if that procedure rejects their application.

• Advertisement

"So no, there is not necessarily an explicit obligation to "accept" undocumented persons but there are basic obligations that combine to require that you do have to at least give them fair procedure. The problem is what you actually do with them if that procedure rejects their application."

You do see the security threat, right?

911 airplane hijackers or other terrorists would drive a truck through the the no-documents loophole advocated by some posters.

Imo, no documents / no entry. Sure, apply for AS, but if you've entered illegally, that's a strike against the claim.

Well yeah....to an extent....but it's also possible that someone with nefarious intent could just enter the country legally (or via the legal entry with illegal or fraudulent means) right? It's not a risk that's limited to undocumented persons but is a risk that's inherent in the entire system of global travel including the openness of the world to tourism etc.

But anyway, my issue with it more so is that it will continue to sap the good will of people towards those who are fleeing genuine persecution and danger and also represents a form of migration that is difficult to control.

Like there is nobody who really disagrees with you here. If you enter without documents, especially in the case that it's likely you destroyed them, it should stand against your claim and you should be denied entry. Great — you then proceed to attempt to remove that person but nobody is accepting them. Then you have the problem of what you do with them — this is the practical problem that often leads to them just being given leave to remain.

Additionally, the security threat that people with no documents pose, is reason to keep them physically restricted inside DP centres and not out in the public.

There are also people arrested and charged with crimes that have refused to identify themselves to the court. They end up in a gaol cell until they decide to establish their identity. Don't see why the same rules wouldn't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

3 square meals a day, medical attention and a roof over your head. Depending on where in the world you come from that might not be such a bad deal.

Who's going to pay for storing all these people indefinitely, especially when FFG privatize the service? If you think 85 euro a night is outrageous I suspect you'd best take a seat before you see the bill for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What I can't understand is when people say we can't return them to where they came from if they show up with no ID.

Their is no direct lights from where a lot of these people are coming from.

If they are scanned before a flight, then when they arrive with no ID the airport will have a history of what countries they travelled through.

Return them to where they first boarded a plane and let them improve security of there borders.

Doesn't seem like a whole lot of effort to be implemented by airlines, I thought a database would already exist with your passport history.

I think the problem with your analogy is that the shop keeper can simply call a third party (the police) to deal with the situation.

If somebody arrives in our country, where their home country can't be identified, or there home country won't accept them, there is no third party.

Also, we're an island, there's no refusing entry. If somebody's on the island, they're here.

There's a lot of problems with this though. Not least among them os that imprisoning someone for an indefinite period for showing up without a passport is pretty harsh but, but even if one plays the miniature violin and says boo hoo to that, it doesn't really stop the problem.

By all means, these types of centres are something I think we probably will need to eventually have. But it's definitely not going to solve the problem of what you do with the ones you can't remove from the country. I was looking there at stats in relation to similar types of deportation centres in the UK and it seems that pretty much half of them never end up leaving at all.

Well hold on. That's not really how it works because there is an end point to that. The accused is entitled to fair procedures on arrest, and will be entitled to a fair trial and legal representation. If they are charged with a crime and the authorities wish to pursue that, the fact that the accused simply refuses to acknowledge their own name doesn't create some interminable legal limbo. Their identity would become a matter of evidence along with any other evidence linking that particular individual to a crime whether or not that individual identifies themselves.

• Advertisement

I am in favour of off-shoring our prisons (not all of them) to 3rd parties where they can offer the service at a lower cost.

I'm sure you'll get some people that will gladly stay in a prison for their lives, but I suspect they will be outliers and the vast majority will want to live outside somewhere and do something with themselves.

Anyway if a person is happy to languish inside a prison for the rest of their lives, then they are also likely to languish on the dole the rest of their lives. So what is cheaper? Housing and feeding them in a DP centre, or paying to house and feed them in a town?

There are ten centres in the UK that at any one time house 2,000 - 3,000 migrants who are intended to removed. Statistically, 55% of them are never actually removed and are released back into the community.

Cost of incarceration is £86 per day per person — so you're talking anything from £172,000 to over £250,000 per day as cost ... so up to £89 million per year for these centres alone and effectively over half that expenditure works out to have been pointless.

Actually, I'm looking at more recent UK Home Office data that suggests that the cost is actually now £112.85 per night and that in 2022, 80% of people held in these centres were never deported and were released.

If you refuse to identify yourself, you're charged with contempt of court and gaoled until you remedy that contempt.

So yes, you can be held indefinitely, obviously depending on the laws of the jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

That was the point of my earlier suggestion, that you require airlines to verify identity and nationality with passport, then they pass that information on to the destination country. So even if the physical passport is destroyed on the flight, the information on it is still available to officials at the destination airport. So, following this suggestion, you do know who these people are.

How do you think deportations normally occur in countries that deport illegal migrants? Is it your opinion that all these people have to do is destroy their passports and they can't be removed?

The figures I saw from the US suggested they only deport about 18%. I think similar figures have been shared here from the UK and Australia.

Id say there's several reasons behind that figure being so low. One being that the unwillingness of countries to accept deportees.

After that perhaps you can force airlines to provide documentation, but the same can't be done for people arriving by sea, so when that option is chosen as an alternative it's even more difficult to deal with.

Airlines could also collect passenger's passports upon boarding, keep them on the plane in the cockpit and hand them back upon disembarking.

Or, when disembarking each plane's passengers are physically siloed from others planes passengers. This would require some re-jigging of customs layout in the airport but not insurmountable.

If someone turns up at customs without a valid travel document, it's the airlines responsibility and saddle them with subsequent costs.

Yes but thats the end point right ? You would be in contempt of court and sentenced to a term of imprisonment not to mention whatever other term is imposed for the crime. The convicted person is then released from prison back into the community.

There is a clear distinction here. What you seem to be talking about is effectively imprisonment for an undefined term but also ignoring the fact that the end point will still remain in many if not most cases that the detained migrant will simply be released anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

The problem is lack of will, and I suspect the desire for cheap labour is behind that. Simply allowing people to come in freely would be politically difficult so do so instead through the pretext of international protection.

I think also that if you take a full electronic copy of the passport upon embarkation, there's no need for the crew to hold the physical passport. Then if arriving without a passport is illegal, they can be dealt with appropriately.

• Advertisement

Why should the migrant be released if they are here without ID?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement