Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,568 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ah yes Ash stupid fuking name Tyler. He was I think leading S31 in the end.

There was something in her final episode which made people think she would go way back to before all that though. But that might just be a fan theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I've so much trauma from the Ash story arcs. Please no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hmm, strange he wasn't invited back. Not everyone's favourite but no worse than anyone else on the cast. Like presumably they left him behind in season 2 so he could be in the S31 show. Maybe it means they're picking a different time period for the movie.

His plot was worse than everyone elses. It's also possible the actor didn't want to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Probably true. I've no gripe with the actor. Never thought he was bad. Just that story line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,272 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I was wondering what Ash aka Clem Fandango was up to ... he is the lead in a new TV adaptation of Captain Nemo.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe I blame Google for that. It came up in my feed and I just thought to post did not really read it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

If it’s not back to TOS era I fully expect them to cheap out and set it at Picard times in order to re-use sets and costumes from it. At least then I guess we’d avoid yet another damned prequel.

I think a lot of the Picard sets are just reused Disco sets anyway.

Maybe she goes way back like that cheap arrse Picard season 2. They could use the Blue Bloods sets 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's actually SNW that recycles DIS sets. The courtroom where Lt Cmdr Chinn Reilly was put on trial for being an undocumented augment was a redressed Starfleet command centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,555 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Sam Richardson is in there at least, that’s a definite bright spark, very funny guy. He’s great in Veep, and that Werewolves Within movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The Mirror Universe in TOS was cool. There was also a very good book (Dark Mirror) set in the TNG era and IDW did a good comic series in the DS9 take of it around the idea that the Terran Empire still exists, albeit bottled up in the Sol system.

But DS9's take on it was poor and Discovery (like almost everything else about that show) was abysmal. Lorca was it's saving grace but they ruined that too.

Section 31 was very cool in DS9 mostly because of William Sadler's Sloan, but trying to revive the concept in ENT was a mistake and again Discovery ruined it (although I only watched the first 2 seasons so I missed how much worse things got).

So I've no interest in revisiting either concept really - especially not one made by the same bunch who are behind the worst Trek series made yet.

Hard pass on this "event" for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I actually felt the ENT Section31 made sense. Starfleet is new, everything keeps trying to kill humans, I'd just assumed it slipped into the shadows as the Federation was born. Then overtime became this rogue group.

But you are right, Discovery really fcuked it up. Black comes badge for a super secret group? Yes we need to wear badges to show off our super secretieness

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

I could buy the black badges when they were operating in the open on a starship or starbase but the fleet to rival Starfleet's was ridiculous

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The presence of Section 31 tipped the hat that the show runners didn't actually LIKE Star Trek or what it stood for, they were in such a hurry to darken its heart.

Say what you will about SNW cos I get not everyone here likes it, but the show and its runners understood the world

I often felt that Discovery’s Section 31 had some glaring issues when it came to the Comm badges and even having a class of starship that any Fleet computer could recognise. But its biggest problem was when they brought in Space Hitler. Thereafter it seemed to mostly be a vehicle for Space Hitler to *twirl her moustache*, use her eeeeevil to forward S31’s mission and then do it all with attitude(tm).

Section 31 at that point appeared to mostly be a way for them to get Michelle Yeoh to play as a villainess and then gush over how *bad ass* she is. If she’s in the “special movie event”, I fully expect more of the same and for her to the central point of the thing, which is probably why it might be awful.

It’s a damned shame it went this way. In the first episode Yeoh played a pretty good Starfleet captain. Having Burnham as her first officer somehow actually worked. Yeoh’s Captain managed to anchor Martin-Green’s over the top train-wreak Commander, and a show built around that in the middle of the Klingon War would have been absolute gold.

But alas no….we got a Captian Burnham…..and a Space Hitler.

Ms

So Star Trek is 60 in two years time the same as the Superbowl in fact. Would be great if it has a big film for the Cinema that year and a trailer for the Superbowl.

Time we started putting the pressure on Paramount and CBS to get off there asses get the lead out of it and get something done.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

How about this? Never mind a “Legacy” show, but actually develop it as a proper movie. Jeri Ryan could carry a lead role in a Trek film if it was done right.

It would have to be written in such a way that people who are unaware of cannon wouldn’t be confused of where this movie would sit with the JJ-verse and the TV shows. In other words; it would need to stand on its own.

You could also do it on the cheap by reusing the Titan / Ent-G sets, keeping the cast from Titan (minus Raffi, please).

For some reason I’m imagining something done in the “space is big & scary” tone of The Motion Picture, but ideally with better pacing. Dealing with some big wierd unknown similar to V’Ger, which doesn’t require knowledge of past events in Trek.

Alas, I doubt any of that is actually possible.

Ms

Sounds good. Hopefully there is someone on Paramount or CBS thinking like that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

• Advertisement
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭McFly85

Just go around 100 years after Picard, with a new ship & crew with no connections to any previous character exploring the galaxy. Maybe set it in the Gamma quadrant as the federation starts setting up a more permanent presence there or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭student7890

The galaxy's the limit with this show.

Someone suggested trekking through mountains as a new direction placing the cast on an already developed mountainous planet. So many people would be finally satisfied. Years ago the show was different to the movies. Why change a winning formula.

Beam me up Scotty.

The fawning over legacy characters in Disco/SNW and the success of Star Trek Picard III : So Very Tired has destroyed any hope of getting something not choked to death by memberberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭McFly85

I agree we’ll never get it, I just wish we would! Even as much as I enjoy SNW, I still groan at the fact that one of the officers is a relative of Khan. The universe feels so much smaller when everyone has some sort of connections to someone else you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They dont even need to go that far ahead. Just pick up after the collapse of the Romulan Star Empire and explore the other side of the quadrant.

All Eyes On Rafah

Funny enough La'an is the best character and would be even without all that Khan stuff.

Second best character Chapel would be better to if she wasn't Chapel and didn't get loaded with fanfic fantasies about herself and Spock.

Too cerebral.

Collapse of the Dominion and collapse of the Romulans leave huge power gaps and issues to explore but doesn't leave any opportunities for destroyed legacy ships to slalom through Borg cubes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Somewhat tangential to Trek but looks like the latest merger rumour is Paramount merging with Comcast (they of Peacock); obviously could have no effect on Trek but at the same time, it might.

• Advertisement

Ha, Star Trek maybe going back to NBC then? We’d come full circle to the beginning :P

Advertisement