Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Cycled Griffith Avenue again on Sunday and the path is worse than 2 weeks ago. In parts they are going to need a shovel to remove the piles of rotting waterlogged leaves. Was with my son but otherwise would have just used Collins Avenue

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well with the current setup of a single lane in each direction, you would need to cross the road at least once anyway.

Not sure I understand why?

Plus you would need to cross 12 road junctions East to West regardless!

Yeah I couldn't care less about this. If you want to use one of those 12 junctions it is infinitely easier also.

That being said, I appreciate that cycle lanes aren't really built for the likes of me. Just saying that, generally speaking, I dislike the two-way ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Oh come on, most of those junctions are very minor with few traffic movements. The major ones are signal controlled so not a big issue for cyclists. Apart from the three main junctions, you'd probably have more cyclists joining than cars crossing the cycle lane each day. I'd say a cyclist would likely have as much or more difficulties from vehicular traffic on the other side of the road given Westwood, DART station car park, sports grounds car park and ABR.

If crossing the road is such an issue, it would be the same if heading out of town with both cycle lanes beside the park. And anybody living in the general Fairview/Malahide Road/Howth Road area would have to cross the road twice a day if commuting into town. That could well be more people than those commuting from along the coast.

And there are practical issues with two cycle lanes along the park. For a start it would have aggravated all the issues raised during design; removal of more trees, footbridge would certainly have to go, etc. How do you get two cycle lanes and two traffic lanes under the railway bridge arch?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

He is right. Nothing to fear in Fairview or Ballybough or North Strand. It’s surprising to hear some of the attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's at times like this people should ask "What would the Dutch have done...."

Answer, re-engineer the Victorian era railway bridge to allow extra space for a cycle/foot path... and remove the trees(they can be moved/replanted/grown)... re-engineer/remove the 50+ year old footbridge across the road outside Joey's and install a protected crossing..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Not sure I understand why?

Lets say you are cycling from your home in Fairview (lets say West side of Fairview) to Tesco in Fairview and then back. With the current setup you would cycle to the shop on the shop side, but to cycle home you would need to cross to the park side, cycle it and then cross back to get to your home anyway.

That being said, I appreciate that cycle lanes aren't really built for the likes of me. Just saying that, generally speaking, I dislike the two-way ones.

And I HATE single lane cycle lanes, I've seen first hand how **** they are up in Griffith Avenue.

• Far too narrow in places, so you can't overtake a slower cyclists like a child and are instead forced to dangerously swerve into traffic to overtake.
    • People just happily park their car in the middle of the cycle lane every day, forcing children out into the road to overtake them.
    • Narrow lane full of dirt, debris, leaves, muck, water. A two way cycle lane would be much easier to the council to clean and would give you some hope and space to cycle around these.
    • Cars parked next to the cycle lane, doors opening into the lane. A two way lane would give you more space to avoid those opening doors.

Imagine we built roads like this, just one way and narrow, with no space to overtake slower drivers or manoeuvre around obstacles. You would be called mad if you suggested that, but seemingly it is ok to force it on cyclists!

You can't just re-engineer a stone arch bridge like that, widening the base of the arch completely removes it's structural properties. You'd have to replace the bridge which would cost a fortune and close one of the most important rail links to the city for an unacceptable length of time. The Dutch absolutely would not consider such expense and disruption for no real benefit (it doesn't even remove the need to cross the road, only changes the location of the crossing!). It would also make the cycle lane less accessible to the local population.

And removing more the trees and removing the footbridge had big opposition from the local community so trying to force that through would have only delayed or even killed the project.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Removing the footbridge would be a good thing. It is a relic of old fashioned urban planning, where thinking was to keep people out of the way of cars so they could go faster! Replacing it with a high quality pedestrian crossing would be an improvement. Also the bridge is not accessible to wheelchair users, etc.

As for the rail bridge, the new one way cycle path is already pretty decently wide under it and you could just use it as a narrow two way one. I mean people are already using it as a two way cycle path in my experience, pretty much everyone cycling from Fairview park to the Clontarf Cycle path are just cycling the wrong way along it under the rail bridge to get to the Clontarf path.

I believe it is 2m wide, to put that in perspective parts of the Griffith Avenue cycle path narrows to just 1m at many points! The relative decent width of this new cycle path is how people are getting away with cycling the wrong way along it.

Though obviously you could design it to be used properly, flashing signs both sides saying slow down, narrow cycle path. Speed bumps on the approach to it, etc. And maybe you could even give it slightly extra width, there is grass verge under the bridge on the other side! But in the end you are talking about no more then 20 meters of narrowed two way path that most people are using as such anyway!

There ya go, typical... You can't do this because.. you can't do that because... Just get on with it!

This was done in a week: https://www.theb1m.com/video/the-tunnel-built-in-one-weekend

A little bit of distruption for a lifetime of proper direct cycle routes...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Right well we're not getting a 2 way cycle lane, this is like discussing a new Metro route, total waste of time.

I just asked Google Maps for the best way of getting to my place in North Strand from Artane and it is telling me to drive through Fairview/North Strand as usual without going through Ballybough, has something changed?

• Advertisement

Griffith Avenue is just a bad cycle lane though, the issue is not inherently that it is one way. For the size of the road it would be comical how small it is if it wasn't so depressing. I'm not denying the benefits of the 2 way cycle lanes, in particular being able to overtake safely. This ability is difficult when we have grade separated cycle lanes which somehow stop bikes getting into the traffic lane but do little to stop cars getting into the bike lane. There are locations where they make more sense but I wouldn't like to see them become the norm.

Of course, part of my problem with 2 way cycle lanes could be fixed by the same thing that would fix much of your issues with 1 way ones, and that is driver behaviour. 2-way cycle lanes often force you to use the road if you are trying to take one of the junctions not connected to the cycle lane. This tends to cause significant ire in drivers who are incandescent that you are not in the cycle lane despite it not going where you want to go. Enforcement would go a long way here, but that seems like a pipe dream.

The footbridge is remaining and a signal controlled crossing is being provided. You could say that the footbridge isn't needed but people were opposed to it's removal. Removing it wouldn't automatically mean two-way lanes on that side could be implemented, you'd still have to remove a significant number of trees which also faced major opposition. And the grass verge under the arch is irrelevant, removing it would create the potential for significant number of vehicles hitting the bridge.

The narrowed two way path as you described could still be implemented, although I'm sure if that was proposed most cyclists and advocacy groups would consider it a terrible solution (and likely yourself too given how much your issues with the lanes on Griffith Ave.). It might work for the smaller numbers of people cycling from Fairview Park but forcing everyone cycling out of town towards Clontarf into that situation would make for a bigger issue.

What is being built now will at least have the option of using the proper cycle lane on the other side. This is particularly important for people whose destination is on or west of Howth Road who wouldn't be able to access a cycle lane in either direction without crossing the road. Not having that would seriously reduce provision for cyclists in the area for absolutely no gain.

The narrowed two way path as you described could still be implemented, although I'm sure if that was proposed most cyclists and advocacy groups would consider it a terrible solution (and likely yourself too given how much your issues with the lanes on Griffith Ave.). It might work for the smaller numbers of people cycling from Fairview Park but forcing everyone cycling out of town towards Clontarf into that situation would make for a bigger issue.

I honestly wouldn't have an issue, though I've been thinking about it and there are multiple options to make it even better:

• Remove the grass verge under the bridge, push the general traffic lane slightly closer to that side of the bridge, center lane for buses and trucks.
    • Or remove one traffic lane and make it a bus gate! It has basically been operating like this for the past year, just formalise. Of course not ideal, but it is an option.
    • Put a cycle gate in place, traffic lights to control access to that section.
    • Remove the cycle path and make it a shared space between cyclists and pedestrians.

In the end we are talking about just 20 meters and either way cyclists are going to use it as a two way cycle lane regardless, so better to design for it.

Of course you could do what the Dutch do and widen the bridge. If we are serious about cycling infrastructure, we need to start doing things like that anyway.

Again, a cycle lane on the park side has little benefit. Again, it wouldn't remove the need to cross the road when cycling from North Strand to Clontarf! The benefits would be tiny and not worth the expense or disruption. It doesn't even negate the need for a cycle lane on the other side of the road.

The link you posted is irrelevant, that project was obviously considered to have a sound business case and was worth undertaking. Sure lots of things can be done but that doesn't mean everything is worth doing.

First of all, I'm delighted to hear that a grade crossing is being put in place, for disabled users, etc. I suspect most people will end up using that over bothering to use the bridge.

So the bridge isn't needed any more, great, get rid of it!

Anyway it really wouldn't need to be removed to create a two way cycle path. Just remove that one tree in the picture and make the cycle path wider.

Fixing driver behaviour would only fix one of the issues with the Griffith Avenue cycle lane that I mentioned.

It wouldn't fix the following:

• Too narrow to allow faster cyclists to overtake kids, etc.
    • Too narrow to avoid the leafs, mud and debris in the cycle lane.
    • Too narrow to allow Dublin City Council street cleaner machines to fit in it.
    • Too narrow to avoid parked car doors being opened into the cycle path.

A two way cycle path would solve all of the above.

I'd also say that I don't think we can fix drivers behaviour, instead we have to build good quality infrastructure that takes it into account and is designed to preclude it's abuse by drivers. A proper two way cycle lane, properly protected by waist high planters on Griffith Avenue would have made for such a better cycle path.

In the end we are talking about just 20 meters and either way cyclists are going to use it as a two way cycle lane regardless, so better to design for it.

I don't think you can extrapolate that from what people are doing while the road is a construction site.

Also, as long as we are talking about the Dutch, my main experience is with Rotterdam only, but 2 way cycle lanes are not the norm. Also a shared space would not make it better, shared spaces are the absolute worst.

To improve the safety for those coming and going from Westwood is also worth modifying that 200yr old bridge, and improving the cycle/walking path... The footbridge and trees can go too.. The entire area is a major artery into the city and needs to be fully re-imagined.. We have 88 pages of comments on the subject here and I don't think any group is happy with what's being built there currently...

It's nice to be sentimental about a 100yr old set of trees, a 60 year old footbridge and a 200yr old railway track but Dublin is a modern growing city that needs proper solutions not sentimentality...

A two way cycle path would solve all of the above.

So would a proper cycle lane. The issue is not that it is one-way, the issue is that it is crap.

Well we didn't start off talking about just 20 metres. At the end of the day, two-way cycle lanes on the Park side isn't really an option (unless you wanted to go to battle with half the city who don't want a precedent for chopping down late numbers of mature trees being set). It would also be far worse in terms of cycling provision for locals who would have to cross the road when travelling in both directions.

You could formalise people cycling the "wrong" way for a short stretch from the eastern end of the park to east of ABR and it would work. Although it would be suboptimal imo, but as you say, it will happen regardless. It wouldn't remove the need to cross the road when heading out of town (and would force people to have to cross the road to access anywhere around Fairview or along Malahide or Howth Roads, which they otherwise wouldn't have to).

And going on about "what the Dutch would do" is complete BS. They have plenty of single direction cycle lanes, they certainly dont go to any expense or level of disruption to gain such small benefits.

• Advertisement

It has nothing to do with sentimentality and is entirely to do with practicality. From what you are saying, I can only assume that you are not familiar with the area given what you are advocating and that you think the benefits would be enough to justify that. You certainly have no idea of the opposition to what you are advocating or that it would result in nothing being done.

It would have been pretty easy to put a two way cycle lane inside the park, instead of on the old footpath, without needing to cut down any trees.

As it is, I'm quiet concerned that people will continue to walk on the cycle path. Pretty much every time I've used this cycle path inbound, I've had to cycle around people walking in the middle of the cycle path! Now hopefully people will get use to it and stop doing it, but I fear they won't!

Yeap, well we all know that those in the local areas value trees and old bridges than providing a safe two way direct cycle/foot path.. that's the problem here in Ireland, we moan about not having things such as a proper bus transport system but will fight tooth and nail against any plans to cut down a tree or reduce a garden size to provide what's required... And our broken planning system which allows people from outside Dublin in county's 100miles away which has no bearing or relevance to them object to works being carried out..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, the fence next to the cycle path essentially traps people in as well, so anyone that crosses the road away from the official crossing ends up walking on the cycle track for a fair distance. It's another thing that screams out to me that they didn't really think through the design of these things, because people are going to use it in the most convenient way possible for themselves, and totally ignore what the designers thought.

It's just all a massive massive compromise, a design that suits no one but allows them to say "something was done"...

Listening to NT radio this morning mentioning all the plastic bollards that we see all along the likes of Griffith ave. that all they do is keep the cyclist confined into a narrow lane, keep the dirt and grime in and don't protect the cycle lane user...

Your use of the word direct here is it bit disingenuous. The park side may be considered "direct" for some journeys but certainly wouldn't be for any journeys to/from around Fairview or along Malahide or Howth Roads. That is a large population and probably accounts for more commuting cyclists than further out at Clontarf promenade as there are no commuters from the sea.

You seem to expect people from the area most effected to accept reduced access to the cycle lanes (having to cross the road to access to cycle in both directions) and loss of mature trees which are a defining feature. Why should people accept two things which they consider will make things worse for them with no benefits in return? Whatever about objections from elsewhere, most of the local community were opposed to mass tree removal. You seem to be the outsider whose opinion should have no bearing.

The number of people who would actually benefit from what you want is small and would be far outweighed by those who wouldn't want that. For anyone cycling to/from Clontarf from/to the city, there is no real benefit as they still have to cross to the other side of the road. There certainly isn't enough benefit to justify the cost and disruption you want to impose.

If you want cycle lanes in both directions, I have already said how that should be done on the other side of the road (while keeping the lane on the park side). That would tick that box for you and would be more "direct" for many people. That's more like what the Dutch would actually do rather than your idea.

If you want cycle lanes in both directions, I have already said how that should be done on the other side of the road (while keeping the lane on the park side). That would tick that box for you and would be more "direct" for many people. That's more like what the Dutch would actually do rather than your idea.

A two way cycle path on the Northern side of the road makes no sense at all:

• You have to interact with 12 junctions, come to a stop at traffic lights, while you have on unimpeded cycle on the park side
    • It doesn't solve the problem of those cycling from the Fairview Park path to Clontarf cycle path, a park side two way path would solve this.
    • It would make no sense for folks cycling from Howth/Clontarf to have to switch to a two way path on the other side of the road!

It really doesn't make any sense for the placement of a two way cycle path that is supposed to integrate with the exiting Howth to Clontarf one!

Listening to NT radio this morning mentioning all the plastic bollards that we see all along the likes of Griffith ave. that all they do is keep the cyclist confined into a narrow lane, keep the dirt and grime in and don't protect the cycle lane user...

What bollards were they talking about? Most, if not all of the bollards have been replaced by the **** little concrete curb which barely separates you from the road.

BTW I will say, while I've seen the odd time people drive over the curb, mostly people don't. Mostly when people park on the cycle path, they do so at the parts of the path where there is no curbing.

Unfortunately there are massive areas that are completely unprotected from the road, just painted bike lane, but no true separation. This is the case at every road junction, pedestrian crossing, bus stop and any location with onstreet parking!

And when I say pedestrian crossings, I mean there is a large distance before and after each crossing with no protection. It is these spots where people park on the cycle path. For instance that car yesterday that was parked on the cycle path, right in front of the pedestrian crossing in front of one of the schools, right in front of the crossing warden!

They probably should place actual bollards at all of these locations, given the proximity to the schools, they should be those nice school pencil ones.

I think BK has covered your point quite a lot on this thread...

However I do find this part hilarious in relation to how protective people seem to be about a few old trees that can be replanted

Whatever about objections from elsewhere, most of the local community were opposed to mass tree removal.

When you consider that there's been a 6 lane highway running through the area for the past 60+ years.. All designed in a different era for a city that had a fraction of the amount of people and vehicles using it.. It's time for a more modern solution and if that means a few trees are cut down so be it.

• Advertisement

Ironically 100 years ago Fairview Park was literally a dump!

Advertisement