Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you walk past a big house

• 14-02-2024 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭veryangryman

You know when you go for a long walk and spot a huge house somewhere? Am I the only one who assumes they most likely deal? Yada yada invested in property and all that but itd make you think.

Anyway, what do you think their secret is?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

They are probably just a better class of person than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Pity that the Harry Enfield considerably richer than you clips are such poor quality on Youtube, would be a prime opportunity to post one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Nobody in life gets any where in life without being smart and going the extra mile, doing the dirty job, taking the crappy overseas posting or something like that. You need to go the extra mile in life.

i can confidently say I’ve never seen a big house and presumed the owner/occupier is a drug lord.

Generally besides perhaps admiring it if it’s a nice house, I think little of the owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭AyeGer

They may be very smart and have worked hard in well paying jobs, they may have their own successful business or may have inherited money or won money, they may be mortgaged to the hilt and be eating beans on toast 😆. Who knows.

In rural Ireland I see a lot of McMansions still being built, 3000 or 4000 sq foot houses. I do wonder why they need them. In this cold climate they will have to heat these houses. Environmentally speaking they aren’t great for the environment. To answer your question though my first thought wouldn’t be how did they afford it but why do they need such a big house in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Funny, but there's a massive (and I mean really massive) house that has been built near me. Someone I know had reason to be in it recently. As well as a large number of spacious rooms, it has a lift, a full gym, and a few other very unique amenities. It can't be seen from the road, so other than them telling me about it, I wouldn't have known it existed.

I happened to be on Google Maps last night looking something else up, and it has now appeared on the satellite view (previously all you could see was that the land was being cleared). I'm currently house-hunting, so I'm in and out of the land registry and the local authority planning applications as part of my research, so decided to do a bit of snooping, just to see what it's all about, simply because it's such a unique and remarkable house.

Turns out the owner is a surgeon with a private practice. They worked abroad, and returned back to Ireland to settle here, establish their business, and build their dream home.

And fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I'd be thinking if I owned it how I'd do it up or I'd be thinking I'd redo the garden.

That's a bizarre post really, how could every big house in Ireland be owned by a dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Depending on the size of the gates my first thought is usually "bloody travellers"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭JVince

Tech and pharma companies gave very generous stock options in the 90's and 00's.

These share prices have soared

A low rank Facebook employee would have easily had 2,000+ options. Even after paying tax, they'd be worth 500k+

Middle rank would have had more.

Now think of all the other companies who gave share options and the value those shares rose to.

That's a lot of fine houses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

All of the very wealthy people I know got a lot of their wealth through some types of shenanigans or other

The others inherited their wealth from their parents who, no doubt got their money through screwing people over in some way or another.

People earning high salaries have nice houses too, I'm talking about the ones with the parapets and gates that cost more to install than most people spend on their children's education

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I thought you were going to ask do you look in the window to see how the other half lives and yes, I definitely do 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My first thought is usually, " wouldn't want to have to hoover that ".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭BrianD3

IME the majority of Muck Mansions are not owned by drug dealers or surgeons but by people with average jobs who built a big house on Daddy's land. They'd have the attitude that if you're building one off house and have plenty of land, you might as well build a big one as a small one. I woudn't consider these people wealthy and would regard such a house as a millstone around my neck. I'd much rather an average house with lots of sheds and space around it for storing scrap cars and other junk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

A massive house in the countryside away from cities can be the same price as a 3 bed semi in Dublin, where something like 35% of the population live.

My house is worth more than my brother's that is well over twice the size, and mine isn't that small.

He's not a drug dealer as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I usually just ask myself why the f**k you'd want a house that big? Some of the enormous houses in the countryside make zero sense to me at all. Must cost a fortune to heat, it's just a waste of space to me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Agree, if I were to have a huge house I'd want the budget for a cleaner too. Imagine having to clean 5 or 6 bathrooms...no, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If you have to ask how much it costs to heat, then you can't afford it...

I think a lot of people just don't grasp just how stupidly wealthy some people are. Just how enormous the wealth disparity is in this country.

People spend more on a piece of garden furniture than the average worker earns in a year, and they will still think they're paying too much in tax and are being unfairly treated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

When you read some of the comments in this thread it’s no wonder ambition is a dirty word here

Working hard and being successful? Load of bloody notions, don’t get above your station (read: don’t show the rest of us up for the lazy, visionless fecks we are)

They’re probably all drug dealers or people that screwed everyone else for money. You’d have to laugh.

Crabs in a bucket come to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭brokenbad

A lot of these "McMansions" are built with delusions of grandeur and status - they probably are up to their tits in debt to pay for same.

Imagine the heating and maintenance costs of these places....

A few years in, suddenly people realise the cost of upkeep on these mansions far outweighs their income and the novelty of having a "big house" starts to wear off.

Have a look on daft.ie and you'll see any amount of these dream homes up for sale due to re-possession, marriage breakdowns, downsizing, etc.

Post edited by brokenbad on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭iniscealtra

I know some people with very large houses. Those in Dublin work in fianance. Others inherit property or money or both. Those in the countryside often have huge mortgages and fairly regular jobs. Self inflicted debt in many cases. The attitude seems to be to build big rather than small for some. Then they are under serious financial pressure when they have kids. I’m just glad I have a small to regular sized house. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Hahaha I’d imagine drug lords own .001% of nice houses. Not sure where you are from though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SilentBee

🤣You know there are actual legal ways to make a lot of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

it's not even about the money, why would you want to waste that much gas or oil or whatever to heat an enormous house and space you don't need? never made sense to me. if my partner and i were to sell our small dublin houses we could buy one of these behemoths outside of dublin easily but it just does not compute for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Stay away from my gaff!!!🔫

If I see a big house and I think about who owns it, it first depends on where the house is. Middle of Ballsbridge or Dun Laoghaire or Dalkey, I am not assuming drug dealer, for example.

Mostly I would think, in no particular order

• successful business owner
    • well paid professional (solicitor, surgeon, etc)
    • inherited wealth
    • inherited land and put a self build on it
    • tradesperson who has bought the land or a smaller house and done most of the work/extension on it themselves
    • some combination of the above

Unless it was a brash and outlandish design that screamed 'new money', drug dealer wouldn't enter my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I know lots of rich people and I'm bleedin minted , but the big houses I mentioned belong to the travelling community and they are huge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭thereiver

There's plenty of rich people in Ireland Also property was a lot cheaper in the 90s than it is now most drug dealers live in ordinary 3 bed houses .people also inherit old houses from their parents . There's plenty of rich business people who will buy a house for millions of euros .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I knew a few who became well off from the 80s/90s on, nothing amazing, property, land, business, and not huge amounts of land or property and we're talking small business.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Advertisement
Advertisement