Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Side projects idle time WFH

• 14-02-2024 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing anything interesting with idle time they have WFH days since lockdown? I am expecting over the next few years to have people advise how they used a few sneaky hours a day to write a book or start a business. I expect ill look back and wonder what i wasted time when my wfh job was a bit quiet.

I acknowledge that not all wfh people have this time and some are really busy. hats off to you.

For others, what do you do, wander around boards.ie forums, watch tv, go for walks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

During the lockdown I worked from home a lot, especially on nights. Given that I had nobody to annoy me I generally got my work done early enough in the shift, As my 3d Printer was also in my office, I took the extra time to hone my skills and print some interesting items.

I did try to learn a new language online but failed miserably 🤣

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Before you get too excited, you'd be well advised to read your employment contract very carefully as to ownership of products and material developed during the working week. You would not be the first one to discover they did not own the prodcut they developed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Are you actually thinking people will own up to doing side hustles on work time in the first place? People who spend work time on private stuff, will likely not be as transparent as that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Oh I know of two cases where it ended up in court and both people lost. Most people are not very good at keeping their mouth shut or all their activities separate. Combine that with success, the envy of work colleagues and a company that wants a slice and you have the makings of a good claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,302 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Learned how to plaster and blocklay as well as install solar - but to Jim's point - it was all done on my 15min breaks. 😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement