Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you walk past a big house

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have a friend who built a McMansion on their parents land back around 2010 when the price of building was rock bottom. The house is massive, circa 400sqm. Even their car garage which is a double storey building with stairs inside it is the size of a 3 bed semi detatched house.

Ultimately though they've come to regret it as its just too big which means the cost of everything inside the house is doubled, tripled and often more. So instead of a normal 6 place dining table they've got a 12 place one because the dining room has tons of space to fill and a 6 seater would look stupid in such a big room. Same with the sofa, instead of a 3 seater and 2 armchair set up its a custom made sofa that would seat about 12 people. Kitchen countertops so vast that you could fit a brigade of chefs at them. Even the console table when you enter the front door is like almost 2 meters long and the two lamps on it are giant sized to fit the space. So everything inside it cost them a fortune and now almost 15 years on stuff needs replacing and they cant afford things like €10,000 for a new custom sofa. The gutters need replacing and the quote they had was €7k because theres so much of them.It just goes on and one. And then theres the cost of a cleaner for a place that big, €5k a year they pay. Plus their electricity costs are massive heating such a big space, they've had bills of over €1,000 for just two months supply.

The thing has become a millstone around their neck and now in a few years their kids are moving out to go to college so the massive cavernous house will feel even more empty. He's confided in me that although they both have a decent wage it just gets swallowed up maintaining the house, theres always another bill or cost to pay and a massive house equals massive bills. They actually feel trapped because if they could they would sell it and buy a smaller house but they cant as its on parents land who live just up the road from them. So selling up would be effectively moving away from home and selling the land donated to them as well as moving the grandkids away from the grandparents, there would be war if they did that. So they're stuck literally ploughing a huge wad of their disposable income into just running this massive house that is way too big for their needs and now they cant sell it and correct their mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

i'm sorry but your friend can't be very bright, this is just idiocy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I certainly never think dealer when i see a large house. Just that the owners have done well for themselves and quite possibly inheritance is involved also.

Location matters though. A big house down the country might not actually cost very much, relativley speaking.

A 3 bed home in the best areas of Dublin could cost 1 million +, whereas 750k would buy you a huge mansion down some parts of the country.

But the big houses in Dublin are mad money and there a lot of them. Especially coastal Dublin.

It really shows how much money there is in the city. But fair play to the owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

A lot of the nice big houses around me are horse/farming types.

I'd be surprised if a lot of dealers had big flash houses because CAB would be on them in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Due to humanities actions since the industrial revolution we have seen a rise in global temperatures. It is beholden on every organisation and individual to reduce their carbon footprint. I really wonder at people of the likes that drive big cars (suvs) and build mcmansions. What is the rationale? It's nearly all non 'old money' people aswell. I really do hope that we don't become too americanised and equate money with class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭yagan

I know an auld couple that raised a family in a meagre three bed house. Anyhow all the offspring chipped together to build mammy and daddy a nice new house beside the old house, typical McMansion you see in the countryside.

Anyhow they moved across the yard, brought the old range from the old kitchen. When I dropped in for a visit they had turned one of the downstairs rooms into their bedroom and did nearly all their living in the kitchen, like back in the old house. All the other rooms, which is most of the house was empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Most people couldn’t give a shite about wasting gas or oil. The money would be a much bigger driver in putting off someone getting a big house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

some of us don't like wasting anything, drilled into me as a kid, although i do waste a lot of time posting here 😶

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,730 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Big houses near where I live..

doctor in one, retired consultant, husband and wife both retired doctors, one was a cardiologist, retired early, his heart wasn’t in it anymore…..also next door is a dermatologist… I don’t know her but I’m told she’s a good skin…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,742 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I live out the country and I don't think much of seeing of what some would consider a big house.

However I may question you if you have some type of decorative fascia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,730 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It is unreasonable of the parents to insist that they stay in situ and bankrupt themselves. That won't be much help to the grandchildren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Having seen many drug dealers' homes I certainly wouldn't assume they own a big house. It is one way to get CAB paying attention to you is living beyond your provable income. Incredibly expensive car in a driveway of a council house is a good indicator of a dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Grey123

I see a lot of very lange country houses and know a few who built them. Usually built on family land. Any savings from the land went straight into the house sizes.

Usually have a very large entrance hall, almost hotel like. However most i know lack much design features to make it homely. Everything just seems big for the sake of being big. A huge island in the kitchen, living rooms that could take 3 or 4 sofas.

They are great when you have loads of people around for an event but can feel pretty empty a lot of the time, especially if there are no kids.

I'd admit a living rooms downstairs is nice especially if you have kids. Although you can get that in older semi ds. You don't need a big second room.

They appear regularly on daft. I always wonder what the story is behind, marriage break down? Location too isolated?

Having a pub in the house actually seems common! Although I've never been in one with that. A bar, stools, pub stuff on the walls. Could probably seat 20. I often wonder how often it was used especially as the houses are rural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You come across as very bitter.

People who spend 40k+ on outdoor furniture are few and far between.

Maybe the JP McManus types, not the average high-end wage worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭yagan

Here's one I know of. Widower farmer living in old house, the new motorway would be passing close enough for him to be entitled to a new build, which he gets.

Daughters marriage breaks down and he offers her a move in withy him, she politely declined sayin the kids would drive him mad. So on quiet he has another mcmansion built beside his for her, but then the truth comes out, she wants to stay in the town.

So two mcmansions later paid for by compulsory purchase order money and the last i heard he preferred living back in the old house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I think that ship sailed centuries ago.

Money has always been associated with class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There's people/ families with 'old money' and same with 'new money'. They both carry on as described in OP.

The rest of us exist to serve them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

As someone who worked as a window cleaner in posh areas, I can safely say a lot of them are making money from OnlyFans. 😄

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We'll take your word for it, I'm sure you have seen some sights!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

so it was you around my house? i told my butler to release the hounds...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Local couple to me built a huge place about 15/20 years ago.

Minimum 10 bed, big driveway up to it.

They had 2 good companies at the time. But like many Irish folk

they got greedy and made silly investments. Property abroad and

the likes.

They are still in the house but a friend of mine cleaned the windows

in it recently and told me the kitchen and 1 bedroom are the only

finished rooms in the place. The garage was never finished, no roof, doors

or windows. The driveway is overgrown with weeds.

Both are in their late 60s or early 70s, sad to think of what they had

and what they are now left rattling around in. Big house doesn't mean

lots of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Luna84

OP you are just poor a rich man like me living in my mansion looks down on people like you. Yes, I did gain my wealth by importing products that people seem to like.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

A friend of mine in the mid 90s when we were early 20s got a large compensation claim, and he bought a brand new car. It was the cheapest car in Ireland at the time, a base model Kia Pride.

Lo and behold, the aulwans in the estate were calling him a drug dealer!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Normaly farmers.....or ordinary rural people....

Basically the secret is to live in the countryside. I normally think that you would need a sat nav to find your way around some of the houses they build.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• I’m usually more impressed by the really well designed reasonably sized houses you encounter around the place. You can tell there was a lot of thought went in to making something really nice that will last and often be very sustainable and reflect the land or the urban area they’re in, not rather than just a big flashy building.

There are definitely some very tasteless McMansions around that you can tell were usually pure Celtic Tiger speculation money. A lot of them are either going to be money pits or very uncomfortable to live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Yeah even the normal houses cost a fortune and they're getting snapped up. All the new houses in Maynooth for example, with brand new EV's parked outside them. You'd wonder how so many people can afford them when we're in a cost of living crisis.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

Define “big”…. As someone who used to walk past a large house everyday.. then sold it… one of the posters above said “I’d hate to be hoovering that” is correct. Smaller well designed houses are nicer..😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Here is one for sale for €495,000. In the lovely surrounds of Co Roscommon. Not an inch of carpet in sight, so not very posh really. It appears to have some sort of orchestra, but I could not spot them in the video.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-luxury-residence-on-c-1-20-acres-bellanacarrow-house-athleague-co-roscommon/5544531

Advertisement