Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Agreed.

I could add a few countries and people to that statement: Russia, Syria, North Korea....Trump!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I would generally regard myself as pro Israeli. I have my doubts about the Arabs ability to run a democratic state. Palestinians or whatever individual Arab nationality you pick.

Or even to run a benign dictatorship

Thus I don't support a two state solution.

I'm sure the Palestinians are devastated to hear my views

However the Israelis should have stopped weeks ago. A permanent ceasefire is the only solution

But without sanctions nothing will change

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

How is criticising Israel siding with Iran?

To me it's just a childish argument to deflect criticism of Israel from that poster. Who I might add doesn't distinguish between Palestinians civilians and Hamas. If a poster stated that all Israelis were right wing fanatics, who would happily turn Gaza in to a parking lot, we would see objections from the very posters who are giving this poster a pass because of their bias. Both views are clearly reprehensible

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And he world should be prepared to suck it up. Can sanction china when it suits. Israel should be sanctioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

God's chosen people. Pity it's the spiteful first testament God.

Post edited by Toeuptony on

• Advertisement

Well they shouldn't have. Are you trying to say they should have? You're okay with that total evisceration of life?

And as before, being a critic is Israel doesn't make someone a supporter of Iran, Russia etc. we can take these places in isolation and criticize them on their own merits.

Why though. Israel has illegally occupied land for decades now, and in the months immediately preceding Oct 7 displaced hundreds of people to illegally settle a bigger amount of land than they had collectively done for the previous 40 years. They are not the good guys either.

And in a wonderful twist of irony , Israel, the country which is illegally settling land for decades and building on is today going around East Jerusalem demolishing houses that were building 40-50 years ago because they don't have a permit.

A county that is being run by nothing less than scumbags at this stage. They are absolutely no better than Hamas. They are no better than himself in Moscow and no better than some of the most unsavoury "leaders" military or political of years past

And the citizens who do dare to speak out or criticize are tear gassed and threatened, and some arrested. If the shoes in the other foots it's about how Hamas are keeping its people down by force, but they're 2 sides of the same coin at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Iran have been funding/supporting Hamas (and other Middle Eastern nutjobs) since forever. They caused this mess, in my opinion. If you are on the Hamas/Palestine side then Iran is on your team whether you like it or not.

Hamas are the elected government of The Gaza. The actions of Oct 7 were well supported in The Gaza to put it mildly. In my opinion Hamas would win an election in The Gaza in the morning. Hamas is Palestine and vice versa.

Everyone knows that dropping the A bombs saved thousands of us soldiers lives. Japan was warned to surrender before the first one was dropped and again after Hiroshima, but they didn’t budge until after Nagasaki. In hindsight Japan could’ve saved themselves a lot of grief.

Hamas/Palestine should surrender today to save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭thereiver

Obama has no influence on the far right Israeli government ,Biden is very annoyed and frustrated with being ignored by the Israeli government when he has asked for a ceasefire over the last month

Right now there's a bill going thru in America to give billions in military support to Israel and Ukraine

It's simply a fact that Israel relys on American support and weapons to continue the attack on Gaza I think Biden is afraid to withdraw military support for Israel as many older potential voters support Israel

The Idf policy is to bomb any area that might have any Hamas living there regardless of the civilian casualties including women and children . how do you put conditions if you continue to supply a country with bombs and missiles it's a simple fact if the Idf bomb rafah there,ll be a large amount of civilian casualties it's got a high density population who are seeking a safe place to live in buildings that are habitable

At some point the war in Gaza will be over and Israel will be vulnerable to attacks from missiles which will be launched by terrorist groups like Hamas every action has a reaction The extreme war on civilians in Gaza will not be forgotten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Also saved a lot of Chinese lives; what would the Japanese Army done with, say, an extra year or two in China? Planted pineapples? Been kind to the Chinese?

I know someone whose father worked on the Manhattan project, and later died at a fairly young age from colon cancer (which ordinarily is a disease that kills the elderly.) Turns out, he had a high body load of plutonium. Protocols and safety in Los Alamos were probably not that great.

Whenever this person does business in China, if the subject of the Manhattan project ever comes up and they mention their father's story, the Chinese fall all over themselves with support and gratitude, the Japanese really did a number on them.

And Hamas/Gaza should surrender, totally agree. Killing Gazans - heck, Hamas have plenty of prior art doing that - doesn't concern Hamas in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

See, there's the whatabouttery. 30,000 people have been killed. Something like 100k injured. Millions have been displaced and are slowly starving. But apparently saying that it's a bad thing is horrible unless you also mention the hostages.

Yes, I do hope the hostages are released. But you and I probably care more about them than Bibi does. And definitely more than the Israeli troops who shot three of them,.

But you know what'd be nice. If the people who keep saying whatabout the hostages would for once call for an end to the bombing. No "I want the bombing to end but....." Just an end right now.

Because right now for some reason it's assumed that anyone who wants the bombing to end is anti hostage release. Which really is a leap in imagination. We want to see people stop dying because people dying is bad, and somehow that ends up with we are pro hostage taking.

I want to see the slaughter of innocent palestinians end. And I want to see the hostages released. I'd be happy if either happened with no preconditions. I'd be delighted with both happening.

But in the 31k posts in this thread, can anyone here point out where people have said that Hamas should not release any hostages unless israel gives it all it's demands? because I can see plenty of times where people have said the slaughter of palestinians shouldn't stop until there's a total surrender by hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Can you point to the genetic marker that says arabs can't have a democracy? The reasons why there's no thriving arab democracies has very little to do with the arabs themselves. Most democratic movements were quashed by either the US or soviets. It suits the great powers, including Israel, to have authoritarians they can control in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭TokTik

Ok, so you believe a US soldiers life was worth more than a Japanese woman or child’s life, or male civilian? Do you have a full hierarchical chart of whose lives matter more? I’d love to see it.

The hierarchical chart goes like this - If I’m in a war with you, my gang’s lives are worth more than you and yours. Simples.

I think you're inferring something I absolutely didn't say. I've criticised Israel plenty, per your comment above that would make me pro-Iranian. Which I am not, obviously.

My point is that there are a handful of actors who are beyond the pale. Iran being one. And anyone who expresses support for them is equally beyond the pale.

That's what the Imperial Government in Tokyo believed.

Making them equivalent to Hamas ironically.

Sure. Take it up with your TD and MEP.

It won't go anywhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,928 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Israel described as a gang here is a breath of fresh air

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭TokTik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

“At some point the war in Gaza will be over and Israel will be vulnerable to attacks from missiles which will be launched by terrorist groups like Hamas”

Ie, like before Oct 7th.

I suspect the rocket capabilities of Hamas in Gaza will have been greatly reduced and that will be a result for Israel.

Yes, but we've been there before (not at this scale) and Hamas have always rebuilt.

Poster 1 comments on marches this weekend .

Poster 2 comments replies about marches this weekend.

Poster 3 comments on lots of other stuff other than the marches and accuses poster 2 of ”whataboutery” - catch yourself on.

Not every post has to be a thesis on the current conflict.

I do find it interesting that since this all started on Oct 7th there is a distinct lack of balance in the approach of the peaceful protestors. I understand that you can’t defend it so embarked on a whole lot of whataboutery running to a number of paragraphs. Hopeless.

Easy to criticise the US and UK from where we sit isn’t it. If it wasn’t for their combined efforts we would be living under the Third Reich.

Indeed. That’s why I think realistic discussions about the day after need to happen and involve all the relevant regional actors and others but not Hamas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭scottser

It'll be interesting to see if Israel shills call for the release any of the 3,500 people they have illegally detained without charge or trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Not forgetting the Soviets of course, who probably did more than anyone to defeat the Nazis. But we sure can criticise the Russians when they do stuff nowadays. So why not the US/UK when they are out of line?

So what should have happened over 100 years ago, but the British and the French were too busy pushing their own agendas in the Middle East and ignoring the people that actually lived in the region. Let's not forget the Americans carried out an investigation on the future of the region in 1920, surveying the local population. The most popular option among the poulation was a pan-Arab state covering Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, Jordan and the rejection of any future Zionist state. But hey, who cares about those Arabs and what they want, the agendas of Western powers take precedence in such matters. Amazing how relatively peaceful the same region was under Ottoman Rule.

• Advertisement

Twitter links seem to be broken for me, either adding to the main body or using the Insert Media option. Apologies for the unexpanded links.

Advertisement