Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When you walk past a big house

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We'll take your word for it, I'm sure you have seen some sights!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

so it was you around my house? i told my butler to release the hounds...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

"You are him…the one they call the "Baba Yaga"…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Local couple to me built a huge place about 15/20 years ago.

Minimum 10 bed, big driveway up to it.

They had 2 good companies at the time. But like many Irish folk

they got greedy and made silly investments. Property abroad and

the likes.

They are still in the house but a friend of mine cleaned the windows

in it recently and told me the kitchen and 1 bedroom are the only

finished rooms in the place. The garage was never finished, no roof, doors

or windows. The driveway is overgrown with weeds.

Both are in their late 60s or early 70s, sad to think of what they had

and what they are now left rattling around in. Big house doesn't mean

lots of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Luna84

OP you are just poor a rich man like me living in my mansion looks down on people like you. Yes, I did gain my wealth by importing products that people seem to like.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

A friend of mine in the mid 90s when we were early 20s got a large compensation claim, and he bought a brand new car. It was the cheapest car in Ireland at the time, a base model Kia Pride.

Lo and behold, the aulwans in the estate were calling him a drug dealer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Normaly farmers.....or ordinary rural people....

Basically the secret is to live in the countryside. I normally think that you would need a sat nav to find your way around some of the houses they build.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• I’m usually more impressed by the really well designed reasonably sized houses you encounter around the place. You can tell there was a lot of thought went in to making something really nice that will last and often be very sustainable and reflect the land or the urban area they’re in, not rather than just a big flashy building.

There are definitely some very tasteless McMansions around that you can tell were usually pure Celtic Tiger speculation money. A lot of them are either going to be money pits or very uncomfortable to live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Yeah even the normal houses cost a fortune and they're getting snapped up. All the new houses in Maynooth for example, with brand new EV's parked outside them. You'd wonder how so many people can afford them when we're in a cost of living crisis.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Define “big”…. As someone who used to walk past a large house everyday.. then sold it… one of the posters above said “I’d hate to be hoovering that” is correct. Smaller well designed houses are nicer..😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Here is one for sale for €495,000. In the lovely surrounds of Co Roscommon. Not an inch of carpet in sight, so not very posh really. It appears to have some sort of orchestra, but I could not spot them in the video.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-luxury-residence-on-c-1-20-acres-bellanacarrow-house-athleague-co-roscommon/5544531

One thing I don't like about that house is the famers driveway at the back of the house and very close to your house too. If it was placed in a field without that road it would appeal a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I sometimes wonder if there's sick people in the big house, and am grateful for my small house and health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I disagree 100%.

The biggest determinant of your financial success is the socioeconomic conditions of the household you grew up in. But "successful" people always like to think it's their unique intelligence or hard work that got them to where they are..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭brokenbad

That's a typical McMansion right there - its got the stone cut entrance pillars, sweeping driveway, home bar, double entrance front doors, wrought iron stair rails, big entrance hallway, obligatory Aga cooker, standalone cast iron bath - ticks all the boxes of excess - and now they cant pay for it or else the relationship has broke down due to constant arguing over home heating costs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,699 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

oh it hasnt been discussed with the grandparents who donated the land and nor will it be. If they could though they would sell up but that would mean moving the grandkids from a short walk away from the grandparents house on the farm to much further away. Because the mansion is bordered by the farmland theres no way they could ever sell it while both the grandparents are alive. It would be selling part of the family farm to them and inviting a new neighbour on to live on it.

The mansion wont bankrupt them but the running costs of it are so high that it means sacrifices in other areas like holidays, cars, etc. Especially now its 15 years old and things need replacing. I cant even imagine dropping €10k on a new sofa but thats what these mansions entail, all the furniture in them is supersized so comes with massive costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Honey50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Now I live out the country and have seen many of the large houses. Personally I think it's nice to have something in the middle.

However I haven't heard of ay of them spending €10k on a sofa. I know it's possible but most certainly don't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I don't get it myself but I have managed to end up with expensive furniture in my house by spotting antiques along the way. My coffee table for 10 euro and to replace it would cost 2.5k. Light fittings cost 6 euro but to buy them it would be 2k. Similarly chair I got from Germany are now 400 euro each and I got 6 for 150 euro.

Early ebay was great but now it is difficult to get a true bargain as people do their research now. When you see people spend a fortune on the likes of Harvey Norman which is terrible quality you wonder what people are thinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Maybe some people are just show off's or are bad with money.

It reminds of when there's a wedding taking place. One couple spends a small bit off money on up outfits and then they give a gift. Then you've those who spend 1000's and complain or more so show off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Sometimes it is from emotional places due to heir own upbringing. A friend of mine bought his kids everything they want and is in heavy debt as a result. His own logic is that he remembers others having stuff he didn't growing up and how it made him feel so he never wants them to feel that way. I tried to point out his kids were making others feel that way by always getting the latest things and he wasn't teaching them any financial responsibility.

One thing that really showed his own upbringing was he bought a really expensive TV (7k 10 years ago) for the house on credit with monthly payments. His parents always rented their TV growing up so he thought it was normal to pay monthly.

His kids are late teens/20s and he has a huge debt and they have no sense with money

80% of households are in the Squeezed Middle. They will all pass on the "we pay for everything and we get nothing" attitude to the next generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

is not the only determinant of your financial success though.

Nothing to do with this thread, I read a really interesting article saying that individuals from backgrounds like Steve Wozniak or Steve Jobs wouldn't be the ones owning or running tech companies today ( engineering, working-class or lower middle-class background ) that space has been colonised by those from wealthy backgrounds.

The other interesting point was that the strong labor market has not been enough to bolster confidence among higher-income individuals, so even though they have careers that never experienced unemployment they don't feel secure or feel they have wealth.

That is just an unhealthy coping mechanism they have developed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭monseiur

Was it Honore de Balzac who said 'Behind every great fortune there's a great crime'

Drug dealers have great mansions, villas etc. - not here in Ireland but along the sun kissed southern coast of Spain, Portugal, in Italy, Canary Isles. Majorca, Middle East etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

There is a certain amount of truth to it. The working and middle class pay the most tax but managerial and investor classes pay next to nothing.

My wifes family had a monthly comemoration for a family member that passed away. No financial planning or rainy day fund and they were all getting tattoos.

Sound like a complete spacer and a case "fur coat and no knickers".

It's not the only determinant but it is the most influential.

• Advertisement

I think that is just an excuse there are plenty of people who had financial backing and wasted their money.

And there are plenty who have left school early and worked their way up.

What I do agree with is that some based on their socio economic background have chips on their shoulder. Either those who are well to do, who resent "new money". Or those who from a poor economic background hard workers or not who resent the better lifestyle others have constantly watching the neighbours.

You only need to go to Rathkeale in Limerick to show that wealth is not only produced by those who stay in school.

Just saw this one on myhome.ie

530,000 in Coolbagh, Clashmore, Waterford

It has 13 beds and 14 baths

I now will have to review my thoughts when passing a big house, "they must be very clean!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Read this and laughed to myself.

Obviously haven't been around the block.

This is blatantly not based in reality at all.

It's the old pull up your boots and braces bollixology they sell in the states.

Legacy wealth, the tax system,social circles and power begs to differ horse.

It might be a general assumption that wealth always transmits through the generations. Nobody on this thread would have anything near enough sample size to prove or disprove that. But actual research shows that it is not always the case. And it would be an awful thing if currently deprived families never had any chance of joining the wealthy brigade in future generations. The continuing advance of populations world wide into what is called Middle Class shows that it is the norm rather than the exception to expect such advancement.

"The Three-Generation Curse of Wealth: Why Riches Don't Last.

As the saying goes, 'from shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations.' This means that wealth accumulated by one generation is often lost by the third generation. Why does this happen and what can be done to prevent it. Understanding the three generation rule is crucial for anyone who wants to build and preserve wealth for their family."

Yeah I have been a round the block. I own my own house. But i have a buddy who whinges he never had any educational oppertunities. He grew up within two miles of UCC. Love going out getting tattoos. Didnt have time to go to college. Bitter little man ended up in the civil service.

Back in the country we were told growing up there was nothing for us at home and prepare for third level or poverty. I know a former Toaiseachs grandson who cant get a leg up in the world with a masters and is living hand to mouth.

Sounds like a story the majority of the 1 percent like to sell. Holding on to wealth is amazingly easy with financial advise and living off investment dividends.

Are you not just making assumptions in your head without any evidence? It is easy to find evidence to prove the contrary.

"Wealth may pay, but it may not stay — that’s a piece of conventional wisdom that appears to transcend cultures. A Chinese saying that goes “Wealth does not last beyond three generations”, for example, is essentially stating the same belief as to the American expression, “Shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations”.

And data does back up these aphorisms. A groundbreaking 20-year study conducted by wealth consultancy, The Williams Group, involved over 3,200 families and found that seven in 10 families tend to lose their fortune by the second generation, while nine in 10 lose it by the third generation."

This williams group.. wouldn't be... selling I don't know.. finance advise would it.

A working Example of this would be the Allen Family in Ballymaloe. They are constantly importing talent (Darina, Rachael) into the family to propagate the brand ....... However unless the two Bozos marry the female equivalent of Albert Einstein the Ballymaloe brand will shortly be dead. The two chumps have been raised as princes instead of being told "There is €5k and a letter of reference go make your to London and onto France/Italy/Spain and learn your trade, come back when you are done to take up day operations".

The lads have no idea how to survive in the real world. Nobody is interested in fledgling boy racers/models and amateur drug dealers. That brand will be in liquidation in 20 years at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The only way to maintain intergenerational wealth is land, but of course there's the Irish Catholic tendency to give away sites and split farms between children resulting in ever decreasing returns.

🙈🙉🙊

There were a few big family businesses that went belly up in the 80s and had a lot of family members who went straight into the business from school all the money lost, one was a famous Cork family business an amount had no skills or education to do anything else.

I know of one situation like that where they lost everything in a family business that went bankrupt what was intriguing was that the wider family and a few favors made sure the kids still went to Clongos so people often look after their own.

It is less likely to happen today no one is going into a family business straight after school they have the skills and education to do something else if the family business does not work out.

What was his Name? Brodie Sweeney ? Spectra photo went belly up in a few MONTHS after the son took over, then he started O'briens Sandwich bar, that went belly up too with in a few years. It has been restructured and new management. Its not the same company any more.

There will always be outliers but, overwhelmingly, the biggest determinant in ones financial success is the socioeconomic level of the household grown up in.

Some of the hardest working people in the country are among the poorest.

it's better to put it as if you come from a high socioeconomic background, education or deficiencies don't matter as much they will still get on in life or have access to the social capital to make sure that not being very bright in school won't matter.

On the other hand, if an individual has an MSc in software engineering from a top university in Ireland, your background won't matter a lot.

So it's either brains or failing that wealthy parents.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Basically, the McMansion is an exercise in dick waving, they have a bigger house than the neighbours.

With families being small these days, they have no need of all those rooms and en suites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Not necessarily drug dealers, but people in business mostly work on the principle of "buy cheap, sell dear". If you look at the way the cost of food and other basics in supermarkets dropped like a brick after Aldi and Lidl arrived, you'll get the picture.

Well, all other businesses work on much the same principle, so if you own a successful business, you're coining it and can afford your large house. Indeed, a great many business people come from a business background themselves and start out already a step or two up the ladder anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Vulgar displays of wealth are a part of traveller culture, look at the cut of them at weddings and the size of the graveyard monuments they put up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I love looking at big houses. What's not to admire about the nicely designed ones?

Plus great if you can afford it. Wouldn't begrudge anyone anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Maybe people have different definitons of what a big house is.

I think of the large period homes or the modern design homes you may see in Dalkey or Howth.

But certainly not those awful gaudy homes down the country in the middle of a field, where land is cheap and taste to match.

Others may view the big house as a jail!

I guess its all subjective.

That is a very American way of looking at it, Ireland isn't the sort of place where the is a widespread belief in the bootstraps myth.

I know a large number of people who have well-off middle-class lifestyles and are very comfortable purely from education and having the right degree nothing else, well maybe buying a house in the late 80s or early 90s might have something to do with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement