Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Presumably, some of Trump's supporters are descended from people who fled Eastern European countries because of the tyranny of the Soviet Union and its puppet regimes. How could they be OK with Trump, given what he says about NATO?

IIf the US left NATO then its forces in Germany would go home, wouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kalyke

From Manu Raju on X

Asked Hakeem Jeffries about this “serious national security threat,” and he said: “I know we have a briefing that’s going to take place later on today that will be important for members to participate in. I’m sure a Gang of Eight briefing will happen – if it needs to happen – sooner rather than later.”

Asked if the information should be declassified, he said: “I’m gonna take a look at the information before that assessment can be made.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kalyke

White House can’t say there’s no need to worry about undisclosed national security threat:

“That question is impossible to answer with a straight yes”

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So how are Trumps MAGA Republians going to react to Trump's best mate Putin now is this is true.

Will NATO Nations behind on payments say you are on your own Sir to deal with that threat we don't have any info to pass over to you Sir.

House Intelligence Committee Chair Mike Turner has made information concerning a “serious national security threat” available to all members of Congress 

While Turner and the White House remained vague on what the threat entailed, two sources and a US official tell CNN the threat is related to Russia. Multiple sources familiar with the intelligence characterized it as “very sensitive.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Yeesh. All these MAGAt congresscritters saying "not to worry" makes it that much worse. I wonder who will leak it to TFG first.

Apparently some nim named Turner let the cat out of the bag before the WH wanted it to happen. Loser.

If George W Bush had burned through public trust then he wouldn't have won the 2004 election. As for Enron and the invasion of Iraq, most voters had forgotten about those by 2010, hadn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

To rebut this reading of the tea leaves that it's 'just talk'

"Words matter, first of all. But secondly, yeah, I do, because I’ve been in those rooms with him where he’s expressed a disdain for Germany. He doesn’t understand the importance of the alliance and how it’s critical to our security as well. And wanted to pull troops out of Europe. So look, I take him, I take him at his word. And I think it’s realistic that he gets back in office. One of the first things he’ll do is cut off assistance to Ukraine if it isn’t already cut off, and then begin trying to withdraw troops and ultimately withdraw from NATO" - Trump SecDef Mark Esper.

If George W Bush had burned through public trust then he wouldn't have won the 2004 election

It was not entirely clear by the end of 2004 that the WMD scandal was much of a hoax, and there were still constant efforts to spin it as 'still looking, they're here'

He also didn't run in the general election in a vacuum, Kerry's swiftboats scandal plagued him, and then GWB was boosted by the timely october surprise of a newly released video tape appearing to show Osama Bin Laden still alive and up to no good. Literally 4 days before the vote. In which he made indications he would really hate it if GWB were re-elected.

The 2004 tape boosted the popularity of President Bush. He opened up a six-point lead over Kerry in the first opinion poll to include sampling taken after the videotape was broadcast.[7][8] However, Kerry won the category of people who considered the tape "very important" 53% to 47% according to CNN's exit poll.[9]

"It wasn't an insurrection"

What was it?

"An overthrow of the government"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

*Edited*

Not necessarily. Its very useful to them to have a base in Germany. Likewise the naval bases in Italy and Iceland. Even without NATO membership, Im sure they'd like to hold onto the bases.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You know I even looked that up before I posted it, because I actually thought they were.

They are, I just missed it.

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,270 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Perhaps they've uncovered who trump was keeping those documents for

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Stanley 1

Great reading, particularly the Comments section, lot of nutters on there but also some very informative stuff, Jared and Ivanka defo do not want the Dems back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Stanley 1

Matt Gaetz is in hot ****.

In January 2020, months before Greenberg’s arrest, U.S. Secret Service agents got a tip from an employee of the Seminole County Tax Collector’s Lake Mary office about Greenberg allegedly making fake IDs, including a late night weekend trip to the office in April 2018.

Reportedly accompanying Greenberg on that nighttime escapade: his Congressional buddy, Gaetz.

Text messages the following Monday between the employee and Greenberg mention her seeing him and Gaetz on the office security footage, and Greenberg replying with confirmation that they had been there because he was “showing congressman Gaetz what our operation looked like.” That morning, the employee also discovered multiple driver’s licenses that should have been shredded after being surrendered had instead been removed from the disposal basket and left scattered on a desk.

The Occam’s Razor explanation, as alleged in the indictment against Greenberg, is that Greenberg was showing the congressman how he was able to create fake IDs that could be used to facilitate travel and partying with the young women.

If, hypothetically, someone wanted to travel with a 17-year-old girl for purposes of having sex with her, it would be a lot easier if she had an ID saying that she was a legal adult. And even for the girls who were 18 or 19, it’s a lot easier to get the party going if they have IDs saying they’re 21 and can drink alcohol.

Greenberg was a county official whose perfunctory role was to produce IDs. Now they are implicated in a scheme where Greenberg would make fake IDs for underage girls to facilitate travel with minors.

In the Aaron Sorkin tv series "The Newsroom", the episode where Osama Bin Laden is killed, they are told to get to work, but they dont know the story yet, and are brainstorming what it could possibly be. Neil played by Dev Patel suggests it could be that theyve made contact with aliens. "Well, you did say out the box ideas?" "Yeah a little closer inside the box than that please".

The Russians developing space based weapons is hardly breaking news is it? Didn't most people assume they have been doing that for years any way?

Post edited by LambshankRedemption on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

You are conflating two entirely separate issues. The fact that I dislike Trump, have in the past and will continue in the future voted against him, does not mean that he can’t be right once in a while.

I will observe that despite his threats to abandon countries which have not met the 2% threshold, during his presidency the US military heavily increased its focus in NATO countries, both with rebasing in Poland and the Baltics and the largest exercises since the Cold War, some of which have only been exceeded since the Russian invasion of Ukraine focused a few additional minds on the matter. Plus there is the minor detail that Putin waited until after his “friend” left the White House to attack Ukraine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Should the goalposts be moved, I will evaluate the new goalposts independently.

The "politically smart and correct way" has achieved little in the decades since Eisenhower first brought it up as a concern. Indeed, all it has achieved are instances such as European forces running out of ammunition when facing the might of Libya and and a shortfall in production capacity greater than the US's own capacity when it comes to helping Ukraine.

In the meantime we also on this very board have to read diatribes about how the US spends money on the miltary and not hospitals or whatever. (Despite that not actually being true, it's just the US system is horribly inefficient.)

Indeed, this whole argument of how Nato might become useless should the US leave is precisely making the point that Nato countries aren't spending enough. The EU has a GDP 80% that of the US. It should be capable of fielding a force which can withstand Russia on its own, yet its defense expenditure is 40% that of the US. If it truly does need the US, that is evidence that the EU does not care about its own safety as much as the US has cared about European safety the past seven decades.

That's not to say that I believe the US should pull out of NATO, I don't. But if I'm going to get sent to fight and risk death for another country, it would at least be reassuring (or not demotivating) to know I wasn't being taken for granted and that they had at least done what little they could in accordance with their own commitments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I wonder if the anti-abortion, pro-gun approach of MAGA will work well for them come November....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

US are not in NATO just to protect Poland and the UK. They understand that if Russia takes over each smaller country it will create a vastly more dangerous situation for the US. Not just militarily but in trade terms as well.

This idea that the US are doing this out of some altruistic love of democracy is rubbish. Its in the US interests. That was proven when the US attacked Iraq. Countries like the UK fell in behind them. The US don't need their military assistance, they need their political acquiescence.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

But Trump fundamentally does not understand that - He is an ignorant and very stupid man , who thinks he's a genius. He is Dunning-Kruger made real.

His mind only works in terms of zero-sum quid pro quo.

He cannot see multiple moves ahead or "bigger picture" or anything like that. He requires instant gratification/reward.

He simply sees "we are spending money and not getting anything for it , right here right now - So that is bad and must be stopped"

He simply cannot comprehend that by helping another country he is ultimately helping the US.

He also doesn't care about anything other than himself so the idea of spending money to help someone else is fundamentally anathema to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The mic drop aged a lot better than the phone drop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Proof that indeed, Trump is avoiding attacking Biden on the age thing 'cos whatever's rotting his brain it hasn't completely overrun his remaining sense of self-awareness:

Also, I missed this in the wake of that New York district losts to the Democrats. Emphasis is mine (I can't find the original Truth Social post tho' so perhaps it was hastilly deleted)

“MAGA, WHICH IS MOST OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY, STAYED HOME – AND IT ALWAYS WILL, UNLESS IT IS TREATED WITH THE RESPECT THAT IT DESERVES,” Trump wrote Tuesday night. “I STAYED OUT OF THE RACE, ‘I WANT TO BE LOVED!’ GIVE US A REAL CANDIDATE IN THE DISTRICT FOR NOVEMBER. SUOZZI, I KNOW HIM WELL, CAN BE EASILY BEATEN!”

I think that was a very weird moment of stark honesty from a clearly mentally unwell man.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4466907-donald-trump-george-santos-mazi-pilip-tom-suozzi-new-york/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Yeah, I mentioned that "I want to be loved" thing above. Haven't heard a credible explanation to date

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭looksee

While he doesn't generally do subtle, I think he meant it as an ambition, the way Lincoln is/was loved, not in a personal affection sort of way.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement