Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Like civil service IT?

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

☹️

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Well... 🤣

But seriously, it means that there is zero scope to improve the pay rates of critically undersaffed sectors. So, basically, suck it up for at least 3 years...

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭Daith

Nothing stopping the civil service using the Engineer grade for IT staff. A few public bodies have done that already, able to bridge the gap between HEO and AP.

AP pay wouldn't cut it for what IT HEOs are doing now

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,463 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's the wider point I was making.

There is a lot of facetious points and arguments being made on the thread using CO salaries to play poormouth.

If the lowest paid grade, and by no means a representative one, in an organization is constantly used as a benchmark then the narrative will always be skewed.

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that one grade or position in an organization is usually the starting point for many with promotion equally, if not moreso, important for improving one's lot than wage increases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Engineer grades usually requires a national craft cert. I've had to turn down an interview offer for a role I was almost uniquely experienced for because it was engineer grade and I don't have a NCC - I've a degree that qualifies for IET membership instead. It didn't actually need those (NCC) skills / qualifications either.

If we had the (vaguely terrifying) UK domestic-only electrician two week course I'd have just done it to get the cert and hence the interview, but we don't.

Even if they could fudge it to allow specific degrees that can get you in to the IET - IT is experience dependent. I work with people with no official qualifications beyond the leaving cert, and once someone who only had a junior cert, but was entirely competent for a role that civil service rates couldn't compete with. I didn't get my own degree until my late 20s, and by then I was already beyond what the PS structure could pay me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭Daith

The National Cyber Security Centre is using Engineer grades and nothing requiring any craft cert.

Whoooooosh. Again.

CO is not the lowest paid grade.

Also 🤣 at saying that the grade with the largest numbers is not representative.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,463 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Lots of "whoosing" and emojis.

You might be confusing Public and Civil Service but again, you can't be using the salary of 12k COs to claim anything representative on a deal that applies to almost 400k.

• Advertisement

That part of the discussion was specific to the civil service and you yourself used the word "organization", there's no way you could say the public sector as a whole is an "organization".

COs are still not the lowest paid grade BTW

Scrap the cap!

Ictu are calling for increases of 4 - 6% in the private sector to help catch up on Inflation but are happy for public service to get less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

The worst part is the public service are happy to get less as well.

I admit that I had a chuckle this morning, on hearing it

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

And not spread out over nearly 3 years, I expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭bren2001

We're getting 4.25% this year. Lower paid workers getting a higher percentage.

The recommended pay rise for the private sector matches pretty much what the public sector is. Shocker....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

And we are all getting it. Private sector ya could well get zero. I know pals who will certainly get pay rises but I know ones that certainly will not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Meitheamh10

Can I ask if anyone knows if the pay deal will be backdated and applied even if you leave your public sector employer before it is ratified? Currently in my notice period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭amacca

To the best of my knowledge the first installment would be backdated to Jan and therefore due to you but open to correction on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭amacca

To the best of my knowledge the first installment would be backdated to Jan and therefore due to you but open to correction on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭_H80_GHT

Yes, my understanding too. Someone quoted back in this thread, the part of the proposal that states the increases will be backdated to the beginning of the year.

People who leave will be bottom of the list in getting any backdated payments though and it took months to work through the last time.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Will be lucky to get it before the June 1% kicks in too!

FORSA AGM tonight for Cork. Going to go along to judge the mood and see what they're selling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭gifted

Had our union men (UM) In today...

UM.....YE ARE GETTING 10.25%.....

ME....but i count 9.25%...when do we get the 1% local agreement

UM....sometime in next year

ME...so definetly getting it?

UM....yes.....we can now control who gets it

ME......i thought you said I was getting it

UM.....you are....but we can now control who gets it

And on it went 😁😁😁🙏

You'll be at the back of the que. Your file will need to be reopened in payroll and a manual adjustment done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭caviardreams

My union was giving the impression the 1% local bargaining won't be general this time and can't see me getting it - still quoting the 10.25 mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭gifted

Its 9.25%.....they spouting out the 10.25% because it looks like its a double digit pay increase.......Our union men looked like idiots today trying to tell us we were getting it but wouldn confirm that we would get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭bren2001

Using incorrect mathematical approaches and comparisons. What about those on under 40k? Using your flawed approach, the minimum increase is 3.2%. Others will see a higher increase. Of course, that goes against your narrative so you won't accept it.

Some people are getting a 4.25% rise. Others are getting more. My gross pay will be 4.25% higher on January 1st 2025 compared to January 1st 2024 and thats the easiest comparison to make. My pension will increase in a similar fashion and if something happens my income protection will kick in at that higher rate.

Theres zero surprise from the ICTU statement. Looking for something similar to the PS.

Advertisement