Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dublincc2

I have a feeling that things will be getting hot hot hot in Drogheda possibly before this weekend. Let’s hope it doesn’t turn into a Grenfell high-rise situation and that nobody is hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's so **** infuriating and what make it worse is this:

“Ireland is legally required under EU law to provide accommodation for people seeking international protection here"

I'm really really angry because we can get out of this tomorrow if we wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I get it now, our tourism industry being destroyed, the country going down the drain but nothing to worry about as Tesco will see us through.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There were two public reps discussing this on Drivetime this afternoon. Both said they had not been consulted, just sent a fait accompli email earlier today advising that a 2 year contract was signed. Both very concerned about the impact of this.

When asked would they support local protest, yer man said absolutely not and no one should protest, they would meet and object etc etc

But what can people do when democracy fails as it has here again? Here we have publicly elected reps who have been bypassed by the civil service. Democracy has failed. And in this situation it will be perfectly understandable if local protest vigorously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The government is using the taxpayer money of the good people of Drogheda to undercut their own local enterprises. That is a state betraying it's own citizens. Local businesses and residents get angry when this happens.

Where oh where is the Minister for Tourism hiding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

In this ...I agree .

As we have said before we have quite a few Ministers in Hiding !

Where did I say that ?

That's a bit mischievous ( being polite here ) of you .

But feel free to write your own posts now ,

... as long as you leave me out if it .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Augme

I'm fairly sure we can't leave the EU tomorrow.

I don't think democracy involves local people getting to decide what business owners are allowed/nit allowed do. This is communism where the community own the local hotels and get input on how they. Local should pool their money and buy a hotel if that's what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Are you insane? Do you know Drogheda? I lived there for 15 years , only left last year. This is appalling as the hotel is bang in the centre of the business section of the town, right at the entrance to Scotch Hall Shopping centre. It is huge! This will have a massive impact on the businesses in that shopping centre and on local footfall. This hotel was really popular for parties, hen parties, people stopping off on their way to Belfast for a night, people getting flights from Dublin airport the next day (35 mins), people on business trips to the area......I was at many good Christmas parties in that hotel. The only hotel left in the town is a very small boutique hotel call Scholars. That's it.

Drogheda is the fastest growing urban area in Ireland and is seeking "city" status. It has a population of almost 70K! https://www.independent.ie/regionals/louth/drogheda-news/new-cso-data-confirms-drogheda-is-countrys-newest-city/a2026046305.html

Millions was spent promoting Irelands Ancient East of which Drogheda is centre, with Newgrange, Slane Castle and distillery, beautiful beaches in Clogherhead, Mornington, Bettystown. What is the point of any of this if it just being pissed away by taking over hotels and housing migrants. There will be NO tourism in Drogheda now.

I feel terribly sorry for the local business people, many of whom I know personally.

(A few miles away there is Mosney Direct Provision centre, Gormanston Army Camp which houses migrants and Ukrainians and the Alverno Hotel in Laytown, also starting to house migrants. Beach holidays in Bettystown and Laytown will soon be a thing of the past)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You can't restrict people's movement to only DP centres. That is a breach of human rights of the right to freedom of movement.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Do the government or department not self reflect on the damage moves like this will do not only to tourism but the town itself? It is extraordinary and they pretend not to understand why locals get alarmed, never mind have reasonable concerns.

This is vandalism because of a "system" that is out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In fairness I would normally not reply to a post that started like this, but I have to admit in this case I am not as you say , insane, just mistaken .

Mea culpa ..I thought that the town was full of hotels but I believe now that isn't true .

No offence meant .

No, we can't. We would need to hold a referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,609 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But if the reps had been consulted about what was planned, would word have got out and protests started outside the hotel?

It seems like protesters in some of these towns are not even interested in being 'consulted'....they will protest outside these venues whether consulted or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

A very fair post and great summary of the local area.

To lose 2/3 of the hotels has to be very impactful to the town, although obviously the hotel owner was happy to take the deal.

Real shame for the local economy though.

O'Gorman did recently say that the govt strategy was to move away from hotels and use state owned property for Asylum Seekers.

Do we know when these facilities will be named?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭minimary

Report recently said that they're not likely to name the locations until after the elections this summer

If they're afraid to name them before that election, will they want to name with a general coming early next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭JayBee66

Ireland was nice, while it lasted. Out of the British Empire, only to jump into a Franco-German Empire. Protestant hegemony replaced by Lord knows what.

Today, instead of the green, white and gold, we have not very bright people flying flags from their homes for a non-nation that has never existed. You know the one I mean; black, white, red and green. If you are literate and can read a history book then the truth is self-evident. All empires are evil and have no right to subjugate a sovereign nation into its empire and give it a name that the not very bright latch onto. After 5 successive empires that sovereign nation has been free again for 76 years and is more democratic than any of its neighbours. How long Ireland's democracy will last is not so certain. Kow-towing to unelected eurocrats.

Leinster House is no better than Dublin Castle. It's only ever been about money and power. Be they TDs, English lords, Norman barons or Celtic chieftains. They all do/did suck up to external influences with no care for the indigenous Irish.

"Those who give up liberty for security will have neither." - Benjamin Franklin

"A great civilisation is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - William Durant

Thanks.

I dont think the govt will have a choice, other than to name the centres by then.

Any hotel happy to take the asylum buck will have signed up already, I imagine.

So there wont be any more options, bar tented accomodation perhaps.

The GE may come sooner than next year though. If SF keep tanking in the polls and the locals go reasonably well for FFG, we could see a GE this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

You clearly don’t know anything about Drogheda hotels, businesses or tourism, so stop with your bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

The Village Hotel in bettystown too if I’m not mistaken.

The poster apologised and agreed that she had been previously misinformed in terms of the hotel availability.

No need to keep having a go.

Its rare enough someone has the decency to admit they were wrong on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It's the veil of secrecy and short notice and lack of consultation with local communities that's unsettling about this whole thing.

It reaks of a Government who have known they have fucked up and they are scrambling to keep connected business people and the EU onside.

This latest Drogheda move is utterly bonkers. We're going to be left with a shell of a country with a lot of businesses closed down, a very divided population and inadequete infrastructure. That in itself will deter MNCs from doing business here and tax receipts and job rates may suffer. MNCs have been making significant layoffs as it is due to many factors.

I think our best days may be behind us sadly. There is always room for migrants, we just don't have anywhere the level of infrastructure required to make it a success.

Balancing infrastructure with refugee and asylum immigration was always critical. We all said so 18 months ago and although there has been a slow down in numbers arriving, the infrastructure clearly has not caught up.

O'Gorman really needs to name the state owned facilities that were promised and that will take the pressure off private accomodation. And quickly.

But will it happen before the local elections? it seems unlikley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Mad. Absolutely mad to plant so many illegals in such a central spot in one of largest towns in the country. And one of the more premium accommodations.

This is akin to family of 4 living in a 3 bedroom semi detached, being rudely told that 3 more people (complete strangers) are moving in, and these guys are from Algeria, Congo and Georgia. Time to get your Congolese up to speed as our illegal friends aren't gonna learn any English, sure why would they - entire lifestyle is subsidized for many years by average tax payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Completely wrong on this. I know a large business in the town that used this hotel quite a lot for its clients. They are stunned this has happened.

Thanks blue sky for sticking up for me.

At least on the other thread posters had some good grace when I said I was mistaken .

Maybe @Hoboo and @tom23 haven't read that above ..yet ? ( reply to mykrodot )

Will give them the benefit of the doubt .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,609 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Multinationals will leave Ireland because it has a pro-immigration government is an interesting take on things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

That's not what I'm saying.

They will leave because of poor infrastructure and services which is not being catered for adequately in line with the population increasing.

Advertisement