Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,609 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If we have poor infrastructure and services, that is nothing to do with immigrants and refugees - that is totally down to bad long term planning by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The village hotel in bettystown housing Ukrainian's, west court hotel in Drogheda Ukrainian's, Neptune hotel in bettystown never reopened after the recession but I believe the rooms we're converted to apartments at least.

Bettystown court hotel which is huge was closed down years ago lying idle. New ownership and I guarantee that will be up next to house 500 "refugees".

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Stranger Things

Two apartment blocks being built too in Drogheda, none of the rooms up for sale yet…….wonder where they will go.

Apartments across from the D Hotel are already for refugees. 

No hotel in the town as the other (Westcourt) is also for migrants!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauries wigs

Why has drogheda and the surrounding areas been so heavily targeted by the refugee industry ? Are the local businessmen just that treacherous?

it seems very disproportionate

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

and another hostel on 29 Laurence Street to hosts all IP applicants. Crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauries wigs

Hopefully the residents of drogheda will rise up against this abs get out in their thousands to protest. Their town relies on this.

I heard the owner of D Hotel is the Derby County FC owner aswell so not a local so couldn’t give a ****.

I presume Gov are happy to allow or tender due to struggling to find places in Dublin so using next best spot…..sure those doing everything to flee “war zones” must be on the commuter belt…..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

It's really starting to look like these proposed centres do not exist and talk of them is nothing more than government propaganda.

Let's be honest, the government politicians cannot hold a secret, there are leaks left right and centre. Therefore, logically, the locations for these centres don't exist and in all likelihood there is not even an intention to build them or set them up anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Shure why do they need to build when they can just rent a hotel like the D in Drogheada? Easy process waving a chequebook at hoteliers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭TokTik

Lots of hotels? There’s the Boyne Valley and the Glenside, which is well outside the town.

Edit: seen your retraction. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

For the smaller establishments like the one before Christmas outside Ballyshannon, the owner has a chat with a local councillor who puts them in touch with one of the many newly started leasing companies. The leasing company (registered address nowhere near the property) makes a deal with the owner. The leasing company then tenders (using the company registered address) and agrees the contract with the Roderic’s department.

The link between the owner and the property address is no longer easily found and the community relies on an outspoken councillor or TD (Marian Harkin in the Ballyshannon case) to spill the beans before it’s too late.

I mentioned before but I had also noted on the etenders website that contracts for housing Ukrainians and IPAS are no longer separate tenders. They used to be. Now I think the owner doesn’t get to decide. Ballinrobe thought they were getting Ukrainians when that story first broke. I must look at etenders again to double check this.

Bigger hotels would probably have admin staff who converse directly with either Roderic’s department or other big hotels and tender accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Until there are no more hotel rooms available the government are afraid to say no to the EU and explain we can't take in any more refugees. Unfortunately they have decided our international obligations take precedence over our obligations to our own people, so its more important to look after economic migrants from the likes of various African nations, Georgia, Albania, Afghanistan while running down our tourist economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭bloopy

Does anyone know who owns this hotel now.

It is interesting that many of these hotels are getting bought up, only to have a contract with the dept just a short while later.

This hotel was bought just a few.months ago for €11m . If the rates described in the below article are.anything to go by, it will have made a large chunk of that money back by November of this year (1.4m/month)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

A lot of the hotels are being bought up by a small number of individuals with political connections. These individuals typically own and run multiple hotels in this way.

Also, I would be confident the contracts are written and agreed before the hotels are bought in a lot of cases, they just go live after the purchase. Guaranteed a lot will come out in the future about this 'process'.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Home Office pays for 16,000 homes for asylum seekers despite housing shortage

Landlords offered five-year guaranteed full rent deals in bid to cut £8m a day cost of housing migrants in hotels

source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/02/13/home-office-pays-homes-asylum-seekers-housing-shortage/#:~:text=The%20Home%20Office%20has%20built,for%20young%20workers%20and%20families.

It's coming here, just watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Not sure who contacts who first but I'm pretty sure the conversation went something like this

Govt: We'll give to €80 per person per night

d Hotel: No thanks

Alright, we'll go to €110

Nah, you're grand

Look, if we can't get these rooms we'll look really bad with these guys in tents on the streets of Dublin

I know

€140 and that's our final offer

You're almost there

€160 then

Done

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Thing is by the time the government wake up and the shenanigans come to light, employment, towns, cities and areas across the country will be decimated. It'll be too late then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The EU has public tendering rules for any contract over 143k - 5.5m(the higher value for construction) depending on type, all these are way over so what exemption are they using that none of these are being publicly tendered and signed off to companies that are only weeks old in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

It takes government cooperation for these hotel to asylum accommodation conversion projects to succeed, they’re not just awake and aware, they’re directly involved.

Who’s been promised what for their post Irish politics career .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

THE UN’S REFUGEE agency has called on the Irish Government take “extraordinary measures” to end homelessness among asylum seekers and to take steps towards ending the use of emergency accommodation.

The government need to start buying new houses in housing estates to house all refugees. We have to do more for all these people from Africa etc. we need to look after all these people who have no connection to our country and allow them multiple appeals when their applications are rejected. We need to stop protesting. We need to remember the Irish went all over the world to work and must accept all who ask to come here. We need to do better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭combat14

we need to rapidly deport thousands of people who have absolutely no business being here

genuine temporary refugees are always welcome within the bounds of the resources we have available

however you always have to put your own oxygen mask on first and many irish citizens are starving for houses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Probably setting up for Palestinians in their thousands,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

And when the Irish Government heard this call... their vanity and hunger for pats on the back went into overdrive. Get hotel lads... blank cheques... the bigger the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

What happens if the corporation tax goes puff?

🙈🙉🙊

The country will go nuts if the government starts buying houses en masse. They will be competing with first time buyers and pissing off those on the social housing lists.

It may also turn the younger generation against any sort of immigration when they find out they will have almost no chance to buy a home.and are stuck in the nightmare that is Irish rental.

Are they deliberately trying to rile people up, cause I cannot see a better way of generating massive anger and resentment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Well the successful applicants are already on HAP and receiving social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Augme

But that can't be true. They left the EU and don't have to be told what to do by the big bad EU.

Oh wait...

So I assume this means the queues have already been skipped.

What exactly are.the government playing at with this whole thing.

And nobody tell me this is humanitarianism, because there is one thing bloody obvious the way the government have behaved over the last decade with housing, health, etc. They don't give a **** about anyone.

Who is actually calling the shots here and for what reason.

None of this makes sense politically.

• Advertisement
Advertisement