Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Holding off for that PS6. With Microsoft in self destruct mode Sony are just doubling down on 'if I'm no. 1 why try harder?'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not that I have any idea what games Sony has cooking for 2024 because they’ve not really announced any, isn’t the only thing that statement tells us is that there’s no big franchise sequel due to in the next 12 months?

Which isn’t particularly surprising, given that - Tsushima perhaps aside - most of their current AAA ‘franchises’ have had sequels relatively recently. I would expect several of their core teams to be a few years away from another major release, though would expect to hear from Naughty Dog soon enough (though who are we kidding - it’ll be TLOU3).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah the fact Sony didn't announce any new games in their bigger franchises during the recent State of Play kind of indicated we wouldn't be seeing any of those in the next 12 months. It's probably still too early for Wolverine, and Ghost of Tsushima 2 will probably be the one of the next games but we've seen nothing of it yet.

There'll still be smaller exclusive titles, just none of the big franchises. Disappointing, but man there are some games I'd love to get replaying this year (Bloodborne and Baldurs Gate 3 are top of that list) so a bit of a breather may not be a bad thing either. 2022 and 2023 were jam packed for both exclusives on all platforms and also big multiplatform games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I am very keen to see what Team Asobi and Bluepoint have cooking, but I doubt either of them would fit under the 'major existing franchise' banner either (even Astro Bot). Playstation's schedule is pretty sparse currently, so hopefully they both have interesting projects due relatively soon. Which you'd hope they should do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sony upcoming exclusives

• Pacific Drive - February 22, 2024.
    • Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth - February 29, 2024.
    • Rise of the Ronin - March 22, 2024.
    • Stellar Blade - April 26, 2024.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sony exclusives I'll be playing on my PC aren't exclusives.

Hate to break it to you but 2024 looks chock full of great releases.

Couldn't remember if Rise of the Ronin was an exclusive or not, and keep mixing it up with the Black Myth Wukong game. It's probably the only one from that list I'm looking forward to though. If it can find a decent mix between Sekiro and Ghost of Tsushima, it could be a hell of a game.

Actually had forgotten Tsushima released after TLOU2, so yeah actually not particularly surprising that sequel might be a little bit away too. Depressing as it is, 2020 was very recently as far as the modern AAA game development cycle goes. That is undoubtedly unsustainable, but here and now I'd consider 5 years or so development to be pretty standard... unless it's Insomniac, who seem to be able to turn one major AAA game out every year or two somehow.

• Advertisement

At the very least there's likely no Elden Ring or Baldurs Gate which will take 200 hours of my gaming time. The Elden Ring DLC and a replay of BG3 won't be as long as the first playthroughs.

None yet. However I've already got infinite wealth on my plate that I want to play and it's only February.

Downloaded that a few nights ago too. Trying to get to the red ranks in Tekken 8 online before moving onto it, but that might be a pipedream because I'm getting some awful matchmaking with higher-level players and often cheap characters (King, Victor, Devil Jin, King, Law, King, King, and a few Kings here and there too).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭McFly85

I will happily relentlessly criticise Sony for their lack of exclusives in the hope of them releasing a 60fps patch for Bloodborne to keep me busy until they have new games

In more **** game news, the creator for the Suikoden series passed away:

Eiyuden Chronicle will be his last game.

Sucks so much. Suikoden 2 is a classic that meant a lot to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 29,038 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm sure there's small print to say "except Bloodborne"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Is that Sony jumping ahead of MS by not so subtly announcing multiplat first party games before Xbox confirm they're doing the same tomorrow?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

In Sony's case, it almost certainly means more PC, which is where MS already is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I would have thought though that if it was just PC, he would have said that, but he specifically said "other platforms like pc" so not just PC me thinks. Either that or they all had a "let's make a console war" deal behind everyones back and now it's over so everything is going multiplat! The future will probably just have timed release exclusivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

MS should be worried. What Sony have done so far on PC is impressive. They are beautifully crafted games with everything they do thoughtfully implemented:

Direct Storage - i.e no noticeable loading). Even games without Direct Storage handle loading without loading screens.

Ultra Wide - where others will just give the option in the menu but put no effort into its mplementation, for.example warpped graphics.on the peripheral, Sony not only implement it properly so there is no wrapping they also put thought into things like making the Hud width adjustable.

Properly implemented HDR - anyone who thinks they can't tell the difference between Sdr and Hdr should play a Sony game on PC. I like to describe it as Matte Neon.

Remastered graphics - they're no just console ports. They're enhanced for PC, both graphics and fps.

I would love to see they're games coming quicker to PC but not at the expense of the above.

Edit: Although thinking about it a bit more I'm not sure MS would have anything to be worried about with having more Sony on PC. But it does (should) embarrass them to see Sony blowing into PC and showing them how it should be done on their own OS.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Really don't think that Sony on PC bothers MS at all, seeing as windows is still the primary OS for games, albeit SteamDeck might be changing that long term.

The rest of it is great, I'm really happy that Sony are doing a great job porting their games, MS have done a great job on this as well actually, really goes to show what these companies can do when they are focused on providing a great service.

The thing that embarrasses MS (if you could possibly embarrass a 3 trillion dollar company) is the fact that Sonys games are vastly more popular, and quite frankly, just plain better. That's not related to the PC space, that's just it in general. As a development house, Sony are much better at churning out games that make people want to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I think the thing that embarrasses MS is the fact that the PS5 sold more consoles last year than the total sales of the Series X/S.

If Sony needs to look to porting to the PC as a way of keeping game development sustainable and profitable when it's so far ahead in terms of sales then XBox must be facing some serious issues.

One key problem facing both companies I reckon is how vastly different PC is to consoles. Game Pass just hasn’t taken off on PC in the way MS hoped, and several of Sony’s PC releases appear to have sold merely OK at best (though some have done plenty well). It’s not surprising that Helldivers 2 has taken off, as that’s the kind of game the two companies rarely deliver but is exactly the type of game that can be a breakout success on PC. Ditto Palworld and Game Pass, which ironically might be a bigger selling point for some audiences than any AAA release. But both those games are kind of ‘lightning in a bottle’ releases, and hard to predict.

PC is a great, vibrant platform with lots of different niches and audiences. But it definitely isn’t just an ‘infinite growth’ opportunity either, and some console style models and indeed games just don’t cross over as easily as MS and Sony would like.

As expected, MS says "Every screen is an Xbox". This is just what they've told staff, so I assume that there won't be huge differences between this and the update later.

Be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

I think the Chinese market is a big part of the move to PC. I did the steam hardware survey last month and looked at the results and a huge amount of the audience on steam is in China.

Found the stats: 64% of steam users are running steam in Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

She also spoke more on the company's ambitions to become the number one cross-platform gaming company

This is going to be interesting. Also, how are they so bad at leaks? A lot of disgruntled employees (or ex employees)?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It's sad that yet more more people in the industry are losing their jobs, but I don't think the cancelled project would have reached the heights of DA without the original writing talent involved anyway.

• Advertisement

It's sickening how the creators of that game got treated by the publisher. The DLC was never going to get made and without the original creators I kind of didn't want to see it if it didn't.

Advertisement