Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Community [US] **SPOILERS**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

After an initially mixed first 8 episodes this has now bedded in nicely again and I'm remembering how genuinely laugh out loud it is in places.

An episode a night (just 22 mins each) can't do any harm. Especially from Season 2 onwards when it gets golden

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Watched all six seasons of this over the lockdown.

What started out as a very funny sharp character comedy ( first two seasons are great) it turned until the biggest load of crap over the last 2 seasons.... Completely jumping the shark. I've never seen a show drop so much in quality. Did the writers change? They palpably knew themselves by referring to its crapness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Watched all six seasons of this over the lockdown.

What started out as a very funny sharp character comedy ( first two seasons are great) it turned until the biggest load of crap over the last 2 seasons.... Completely jumping the shark. I've never seen a show drop so much in quality. Did the writers change? They palpably knew themselves by referring to its crapness.

The creator of the show, Dan Harmon, was fired at the end of Season 3 (I think they were running severely behind and the story started going really off the rails), and they brought in new showrunners for Season 4.

Then there were issues in Season 4 that made Chevy Chase leave during it (they filmed enough to shoehorn him into the last few episodes).

Then because Season 4 was poorly received, they rehired the original creator Dan Harmon for Season 5. But Chevy Chase would only come back for a quick appearance, and Donald Glover wanted to leave and do his own thing.

Then it was cancelled at the end of Season 5, but Yahoo picked it up and bought a final season which was aired online rather than TV, but there were more departures in the cast too.

Overall, it was a bit of a mess behind the scenes from Season 3 on. Story started going completely haywire that it damaged a lot of the characters.

That said, I actually enjoyed most of Season 5. Some fantastic episodes in it. And Season 4 had its moments even though it was mostly a failure. Season 6 was fairly abysmal though. I barely even remember anything from it bar some bits of the last episode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

mod: moved the 2 recent threads into the main, older mega-thread. I noticed Seasons 5 & 6 got their own separate threads, but not merging that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Oh, hell yes.. even Glover will be back!

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/community-table-read-dan-harmon-donald-glover-joel-mchale-1234601209/
    Six seasons and a Zoom call. The cast of “Community” and creator Dan Harmon are reuniting for a virtual table read and Q&A, in order to benefit COVID-19 relief efforts.

Among the participants will be Donald Glover, who departed “Community” during its fifth season — marking the first time he’s been a part of a “Community” event since leaving the show. Stars Joel McHale, Gillian Jacobs, Danny Pudi, Yvette Nicole Brown, Alison Brie, Jim Rash, Ken Jeong and Glover are all set to join the table read, along with Harmon.

The table read will be shown in its entirety, along with a Q&A of fan questions, on Monday, May 18, at 2 p.m. PT via Sony Pictures TV’s “Community” YouTube page. The cast is set to read “Cooperative Polygraphy,” the fourth episode of Season 5, which first aired January 16, 2014 on NBC.

Shame it's not a newly written episode.. but hopefully will be good nonetheless!

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    Oh, hell yes.. even Glover will be back!

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/community-table-read-dan-harmon-donald-glover-joel-mchale-1234601209/

Shame it's not a newly written episode.. but hopefully will be good nonetheless!

A very lazy reunion compared to Parks & Recreation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    A very lazy reunion compared to Parks & Recreation
    Given how dreadful the new material was in the P&R reunion, I'd have preferred a table read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Surely gonna get the movie at this point.

Basq wrote: »
    Given how dreadful the new material was in the P&R reunion, I'd have preferred a table read.

I haven't seen it yet, but it got plenty of praise in it's thread on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

The other episodes have been good as a whole also, but christ lads get some pop filters for those mics :pac:

• Advertisement

Is it worth watching?

It's nice that they all seem to have a love for the show after this long. Shame Chevy was such a dick because after watching through the show again he had some great moments.

Can't wait for the movie. I really hope it's done better than Arrested Development's revival.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

J. Marston wrote: »
    It's nice that they all seem to have a love for the show after this long. Shame Chevy was such a dick because after watching through the show again he had some great moments.

Can't wait for the movie. I really hope it's done better than Arrested Development's revival.

Oh but you can really see how much the scripts struggled with Chase, or maybe that was projection on my part, knowing how much trouble he was for the production. Pierce felt like such a third wheel, very akin to Mark Brandanowitz from Parks & Rec season 1, albeit without the ability to jettison the character. To be devil's advocate I can see why any actor might chaff at eventually being written a full on, vindictive villain as Pierce became. Given we eventually learned Harmon himself was no Saint, you'd speculate was that Harmon himself being a dick.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Given we eventually learned Harmon himself was no Saint, you'd speculate was that Harmon himself being a dick.

It was a case of two dicks been dicks to each other. Both seem to have dodgy reputations

I'm still watching an episode or two a night, it's such an easy watch in Season 2. That could change as it progresses and I might bail later

As I mentioned, my TV crush on Alison Brie on first viewing when it aired about 10 years ago was next level :pac:

On second viewing all I'm seeing is how gorgeous Gillian Jacobs is

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh but you can really see how much the scripts struggled with Chase, or maybe that was projection on my part, knowing how much trouble he was for the production. Pierce felt like such a third wheel, very akin to Mark Brandanowitz from Parks & Rec season 1, albeit without the ability to jettison the character. To be devil's advocate I can see why any actor might chaff at eventually being written a full on, vindictive villain as Pierce became. Given we eventually learned Harmon himself was no Saint, you'd speculate was that Harmon himself being a dick.

Absolutely, Harmon is an arsehole. Chevy is an arsehole. They were always gonna clash.

The niceness of the rest of the cast seemed to hold that show together.

Table read for charity was posted yesterday. I enjoyed it. They definitely slipped very easily back into their characters, and Pedro Pascal was a great replacement for Walter Goggins. It's mostly just the episode as it was but with a few laughter breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Pedro just losing it completely at the sperm bit had me in stitches, I forgot how utterly hilarious that was the first time I saw it too.

Here’s the Q&A they did after the table read, nothing concrete about a movie but it’s a good watch anyway:

Penn wrote: »

Table read for charity was posted yesterday. I enjoyed it. They definitely slipped very easily back into their characters, and Pedro Pascal was a great replacement for Walter Goggins. It's mostly just the episode as it was but with a few laughter breaks.

That was surprisingly good. No technical issues other than the Viper being muted when every is laughing but that's a feature of zoom.

That was surprisingly good. No technical issues other than the Viper being muted when every is laughing but that's a feature of zoom.

I forgot the Dean wasn't in that episode at all, but good decision to have him be the one who reads the lie detector, at least it meant he could be part of the episode.

I'm upto season 4 on my rewatch and the quality really takes a dip during this year without Dan Harmon

It's like two different shows and they totally Britta'd it. I feel like skipping straight to season 5

Bonus: here's a gif of this fabulous looking creature

200w.gif

• Advertisement

Finished my re-watch on Netflix

A lot more patchy than I remembered, but overall very much recommended

World has gone feckin' insane

https://www.thewrap.com/community-advanced-dungeons-and-dragons-episode-removed-netflix-blackface/
    Netflix has pulled the “Community” Season 2 episode “Advanced Dungeons & Dragons,” which features Ken Jeong’s character, Ben Chang, wearing blackface during a game of “Dungeons & Dragons,” TheWrap has learned exclusively.

In this episode of the Dan Harmon-created series, the study group gets together to play a game of “D&D” with fellow Greendale student “Fat Neil” (played by Charley Koontz). Chang shows up to the game wearing a white wig, with black makeup covering all of his exposed skin.

When Shirley (Yvette Nicole Brown) says, “So, we’re just going to ignore that hate crime, huh?” Chang responds, “I’m a dark elf or a drow.” Chang proceeds to play the game dressed that way, acting as the character “Brutalitops the Magician,” until he is killed and eliminated.

“Advanced Dungeons & Dragons,” the 14th episode of Season 2 of “Community,” first aired Feb. 3, 2011 on NBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

First, huge difference between painting yourself black be a dark elf and doing "black face"

Secondly....... so now we cant have JOKES about racism because they are racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I was a huge fan of community. I binge watched season 1-5 around 2013/14 which varied vastly in quality, but I still enjoyed all of it. Season 6 was made by yahoo of all places, so never actually got around to watching it. Judging by the first episode I’m presently surprised by it. No doubt it’s on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of quality but it’s still fun. Abed is still hilarious. I still love the characters and That line “What’s a montage. A movie apologising for reality”, and The butcher and the baker bit at the end were very funny.

I enjoyed this more than 90% of the stuff that’s on TV at the moment.

S06:EP02
    Joelho-Alto Prejuizo Moral... Hilarious

Please tell me every episode ends with these tags

kerplun k wrote: »
    S06:EP02
    Joelho-Alto Prejuizo Moral... Hilarious

Please tell me every episode ends with these tags

I found parts like that of season 6 to be very off tbh. It really felt like a different show to seasons 1 to 5

I only watched season 6 the one time as it aired on Yahoo (snicker), but found it just way off the boil with some episodes that felt almost experimental in style. The show lost too many of the core cast though; I think an episode played with it a little but it all felt like everyone was hanging around long after the party finished.

I really like Community, but thought seasons 5 and 6 were way off the boil. Almost like a different show, I was just watching the episodes to get the show finished.

I think I'm liking season 6 because I've giving it such a long break. Im not tethered to what's come before, I had no expectations., In fact, what Im watching now almost feels like a pilot which is just finding its feet and in a way, it kinda was. Losing almost half of your core characters in such a bottled show is basically like starting over. The Joelho-Alto Prejuizo Moral / Butcher and the Baker stuff does feel very different, but that's because it is. You can definitely see the irreverence here which makes Rick and Morty so popular.
    If this was a debut show, Id all over it, praising its originality, comedy and characters.

Maybe Im taking nonsense here, but this is what I'm thinking, go watch what would be considered the best episode of something like The Big Bang Theory and imagine it without the laughing track, then compare that to the worst episode of Community Season 6, and ask yourself, what would you rather see more of.

• Advertisement

I liked season 6 much more than season 5 post-Troy leaving. Frankie and Elroy were good additions.

Still one of my favourite bits in the entire show...

J. Marston wrote: »

Love it. Excellent episode overall

The problem with Seasons 5 and 6 was their patchiness. You either got gold or parts that made you look at the screen wondering what happened a once great show

From memory, the weaker episodes are to be found in Seasons 5 and 6 and, surprisingly, the first 6 or so episodes of Season 3 aren't great

Harmon slagged off Season 4 as the Gas Leak season (the one he wasn't part of), but as a whole I think it's stronger than 6

S06:03
    They gave a dog a degree :D

Poor Ruffles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I'm upto season 4 on my rewatch and the quality really takes a dip during this year without Dan Harmon

It's like two different shows and they totally Britta'd it. I feel like skipping straight to season 5

Bonus: here's a gif of this fabulous looking creature

200w.gif

And she pronounces her name Gillian (hard g) as opposed to Jillian. Really makes you think.

groovie wrote: »
    And she pronounces her name Gillian (hard g) as opposed to Jillian. Really makes you think.

I still would though

Several times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I still would though

Several times

As a blonde, or as nature intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Donald Glover and Yvette Nicole Brown not mentioned in that, but Joel McHale did tag them in his tweet about it, so hopefully they're coming back in at least smaller roles rather than primary cast of the whole movie. Or maybe news sites have just been taking the main cast list from Season 6.

Holy shít.

They actually did it.

I was only thinking then other day when might be too late for a movie; given the show's love of skewering convention, the plot has to involve the gang reuniting to save Greendale. It's right there.

Bumping cos it's finally happening... merging threads.

#sixseasonsandamovie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I am genuinely so happy about this, Friday was a tough day and this really boosted my mood. I'll have to do a rewatch now.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say recently but I did complete a rewatch and what surprised most was Season 4 not being anywhere near the garbage fire then reputation suggested. The season finale was horrendous, no question, but the rest was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Cool cool cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think I skipped Season 4 on my last rewatch, the episode written by Jim Rash is probably the only one I'd rate. S5 is extremely underrated imo, I wish they handed killed of Hickey offscreen in S6, I thought he was a great addition. I wonder if Keith David or Paget Brewster will come back or dare I think it, Brie Larson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Hope they get it done. Would be a great end to it.

They need to really bear down for the script here.

Hoover let slip a detail about the proposed movie

Speaking of, are you still planning to be in the Community movie?

GLOVER Yeah, [Dan Harmon] told me what he wanted, and I was like, “This sounds great.” It’s a college reunion, but Abed [Danny Pudi’s character] is like this big director now, and basically this is his magnum opus. I’m like, “This sounds **** tight.” 

Abed a big success wasn't something I envisioned; he always seemed to demanding lol. At least it'll acknowledge the fact everyone has moved on. The snippet is via a longer interview here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

So it seems that they pulled the D&D episodes from Hulu in the states. Wtf like some of the best ones in the series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Both of them? I know people bring up the dark elf as Chang blacking up even do it isn't the case. But why the second esp?

Funny thing is, Yvette Nicole Brown has herself spoken out against the removal of the Dungeons and Dragons episode as an "over correction" and said that anyone who played D&D would know Chang was being a dark elf, not wearing blackface.

The downside is the whole episode was a great, sympathetic examination of bullying and depression, the group intervening for someone really in trouble - but twitchy executives had their say, ironically ignoring the views of Brown who would have had a more legitimate say on the issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement