Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

Ah now, he's getting nowhere near Desert Island Discs. Lauren Laverne or Kirsty Young could teach him a thing or ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭Tork

Neferteena said: Interestingly Angela Scanlon was backfilling for Jayne M, who is covering Chris E's breakfast slot. Another Irish accent, but not Irish-centric in her presentation. When she spoke about cheese, & pancakes, it was alloy cheese & pancakes. Not about how back in Ireland cheese is better because the grass is (chemically) greener, or about Auntie Bridie who owns a delightful hobby farm with the nicer tasting goats cheese, because she recites Seamus Heaney poetry to the goats as she milks them with her dainty alabaster hands. Her links were short, sharp & engaging.

This is the sort of thing that you assume all Irish adults know. Even if you're an ordinary Joe Soap, you instinctively tailor your conversations based on who you're talking to. You dial down your Irishisms and you automatically cut out the references you know will fly over the head of the other person. You're not going to start babbling on about the Munster hurling final to a unionist from northern Ireland, or quote lines from Fr. Ted at a Dutch person who has never heard of the series. It isn't rocket science and it's a formula that so many Irish presenters, journalists and other personalities have stuck to when working in the UK. They become people who are good at their job but happen to be Irish, rather than using it as a big loud badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

I'm not sure that a Tubridy podcast would work out. Podcasting is a bit different to broadcasting in that the listener has to access the podcast. In that respect, the podcaster is podcasting to the listener (almost one to one) rather than at the listener with a typical broadcast (one to many). Vogue Williams knows the business and is quite successful at it. Ironically, so does Lottie Ryan (former NKM client). Tubridy does not.

The other issue with a Tubridy podcast is the audience. Would it be a large enough audience for a sponsorship or advertising deal? The metrics on podcasting are also a bit more accurate than those on broadcasting. Somehow, Tubridy doesn't seem like the next Joe Rogan.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,449 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I don't know, I reckon that's a gig he could revive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Ryan must know that people are still asking questions about the €150 thousand he's hanging on to and interested in knowing when or if he's going to pay it back, that €150 thousand would be a lot of money to many people, but a man of his wealth it would be like €150. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The 150k issue came up during the RTÉ appearance at Oireachtas committee yesterday - Tubs has NOT paid it back as yet.

Mr. Bakhurst said in today’s hearing: “It’s not been paid back… we ask if he’s going to do it, but we’ve had no progress on that.”

https://goss.ie/featured/rtes-director-general-kevin-bakhurst-reveals-there-is-no-legal-basis-to-recoup-e150000-paid-to-ryan-tubridy-370399

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

With podcasting aren’t the listenership/stream figures available in a real time basis? And pretty much 100% accurate?

Not sure that’s a route Tubridy would be willing to go down as how embarrassing would it be if he went through he whole rigmarole of setting up and promoting a podcast to then see weekly figures of 786 listeners……. (And that’d just be the opening week when there’d be slightly more interest). Though I’m sure TeamNK would spin it up somehow to inflate the figures like the whole family are sitting around their tables listening in, so “1 download equals 7 listens in the O’Malley household”

It is and some people are much quicker at picking up the nuances of other cultures. Tubridy hasn't really operated outside the village of Montrose and is still very much in the "village idiot on tour" phase that most people go through when they move to a new city or country. It will take a while before he adapts to UK, and more specifically, to London culture. However, the syndication aspect of the deal means that he has also to appeal to an Irish audience and a UK audience. The irish audience is familiar with him and the UK audience is not. The problem for Virgin Radio is that the novelty factor is wearing off and the listenership patterns will be starting to emerge over the next few months. The syndication deal made sense on paper and might work for a large single market but the Irish and UK markets are not the same.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Bakhurst surely understands those who benefitted under the free for all set up by Forbes will pay nothing back voluntarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Vogue Williams knows the business and is quite successful at it.

Which may explain this:

Partnering with a recognised expert could be a smart move, for all the reasons you correctly outline.

Adding a podcast to the daily national UK radio show, nearly national Irish Sunday radio show, national Sunday newspaper column and whatever books he might be working on would only leave TV as the major media format he doesn't have a presence on. And he did quit TV on his own terms before the scandal, so maybe that's not of interest to him anyway.

I suppose the question is, is it good to have many irons in the fire, or bad to spread yourself too thinly? I guess time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

He’s not in the theatre and I haven’t heard of Tubridy the movie yet either. But yes a Jack of all trades 😀

True, and despite regularly doing his own song and dance routines on the annual Toy Show, he had the good sense to stay well away from the calamitous Toy Show: The Musical. The stage and big screen probably aren't currently in his purview.

The median net wealth in Ireland is about €193,100. So for your €150 to €150,000 comparison to work, Tubridy would need to have a net wealth of about €193,100,000.

He was certainly well paid in RTE, and has had a successful career spanning many years, but even with wise investments, I very much doubt he's that wealthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭speedbird834

Virgin must have a good idea about how he's doing compared to Eddie Temple-Morris who had the mid morning slot before him based on the number of simultaneous streams - think something like 25% of UK radio listening is online these days so they'll know the direction of travel by now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

ETM was getting very low ratings so it’s not going to see a huge dip and any increase % wise can be spun nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

He was on around 700.000k when we had 15% unemployment and thousands were emigrating.

If he couldn't park some of that annual income then what was he spending it on, icing sugar?

I won't be surprised if he's paying for his exposure at the moment out of his past earnings.

But as they say in investing past performance is no guarantee of future earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

How does Bathurst confirming yesterday that there is no legal basis to recoup the money put anything to bed? He's been saying that for ages.

Whether or not there is some convoluted legal means around, Tubs formally acknowledged (without conditions of an RTE contract) that if he didn't do the work he'd return the 150K.

He hasn't. If he had done the right thing he'd have clawed back some self respect. Not much, but some.

No matter how you slice and dice the numbers, €193,100,000 net wealth is ludicrous stuff. Lets stick to the facts.

And then the thought that someone with that wealth would for some reason be paying their employer to work for them, while living like a student!

Unhinged isn't a word I'd personally ever use, but I think we can all safely dismiss such notions as fanciful, to say the very least.

Also, the drug use allegations - which he has denied - are uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He's an ex-RTE presenter who ended up on a small UK radio station on a fraction of the salary he was paid in RTE. His weekday show is syndicated show on a few Irish local radio stations owned by News UK. He also has a Sunday show on those local radio stations. He's got a column in a minor Irish Sunday newspaper. The podcast or "secret project" hasn't happened yet. He wrote two adult non-fiction books about ten years ago. He also co-authored (?) a children's book.The LLS is now presented by Patrick Kielty. His former radio slot is now presented by Oliver Callan. The Irish broadcasting market, at a national level, seems to be moving on without him. The longer he stays in London, the more irrelevant his brand becomes to the Irish national broadcast market. Maybe the next few RAJARs and JNLRs won't be bad and he will be successful.

At the moment, a triumphal return to RTE seems unlikely and that 150K is going to continue to taint his brand in Ireland.There may not even be an RTE to which he might return.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

In all fairness, a return to RTE is something that has only been proposed - and proposed relentlessly - by certain quarters in this (and similar) threads. It's not a notion that's founded in reality.

There's no evidence for it, and Tubridy himself has very clearly moved on - much, much quicker than anyone thought he would, it has to be said.

I would chime that rte, or a future version of rte taking tubridy would be confirmation of no reform in accountability.

However voters did put Fianna Fail back in power.

This puts paid to the ludicrous conspiracy theory that Lachlan Murdoch is somehow beholden to Tubridy to provide him with a career and exposure. Eddie Temple Morris is by all accounts a great guy, but the show wasn't performing well, and an experienced radio broadcaster and safe pair of hands (he's nothing more than that, let's be honest) was brought in. Some time is needed to assess the success of that.

It is telling, however, that you say that an increase in listenership "can be spun nicely". Let's be clear: If he does increase the listenership, then it's a success. It's not spin if it's a fact

Technically, the voters did not put FF back in power. It was FG. This Tubridy pay scandal and the RTE mess is now driving a stake through the heart of FFG with different opinions on how RTE should be funded. I suppose that the nation should be grateful to Tubridy for starting the exposure of RTE's "management".

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Ref Tubridy denying any drug use - if anyone re-watched that video from Eamon on the LLS they'd see the irony in what he was saying to Tubs! Anyone who knows Eamon knows EXACTLY what he meant!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Moved on? He's working in a British radio station in London effectively broadcasting to an Irish audience. His Q102 slot and staying in the Irish public consciousness seems to be his primary concern. That doesn't come across to me as someone who has moved on to bigger and better things. He's doing what he NEEDS to do, nothing more. Sitting on his arse in Monkstown looking like a failure wasn't an option really, was it.

He was almost back in RTE last autumn with a new contract worth €170k. His desperation to put the payments scandal behind him and get back on the RTE teet was palpable. Bakhurst himself was all for it until Tub's scuppered his own contract talks with his sheer hubris.

Tubridy has no scruples. He wants back to the easy life. RTE have shown and continue to show no scruples about anything. There is more than a slight chance he'll be back at the national broadcaster in some capacity at a future date, assuming the PR climate is right.

Edit - Contract value correction

Post edited by Hyperbollix on

I guess if you want hard enough for it to be true, you’ll see it that way.

I think most people saw it for what it clearly was, an attempt - misguided maybe - at banter with a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Well as much as you imply that I may want that to be true, really I don't. However, It is possible that you may also be experiencing the shock - denial points on the change curve that you were very gracious to provide us with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I checked back and it was actually €170k it appears. What's 10k in RTE though, eh!?

Bakhurst gave the figure in a RTE interview last August, after the talks fell through.

https://www.irishtimes.com/media/2023/08/17/tubridy-must-own-a-certain-amount-of-responsibility-says-bakhurst/

Advertisement