Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using GoMo abroad - problems?

Options
  • 29-04-2022 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was in Sweden last week and GoMo roamed on Tele2 while there. None of the other 3G or 4G networks would connect. I could use my data and make/receive calls to Irish numbers but I couldn't make or receive calls from Swedish numbers, which was a bit of a pain.

Has anyone else experienced similar when abroad and with GoMo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Not similar but in Italy two weeks ago both Android phones on GoMo had issues. One constantly dropped the network entirely and the other had no data for most days even though the APN was correct.

But an iPhone on GoMo was faultless and I had no bother with Vodafone.

First time these 3 GoMo phones had traveled aboard other than the UK. No problems in the UK with them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BowWow

Android phone used in Italy, Spain, Switzerland and UK without any difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭r0chf0rt

We are currently in Spain with 3 phones on gomo and none of them can make calls,sent texts or use data. They connect to the orange network no problem but we get a recorded message saying "number is restricted" when we try and make calls. Their customer support don't seem very "technical" to me and just reply with generic messages about switching the phone off for 10 mins etc... if it was one phone/sim issue that would be plausible but 3 different phones with 3 different sims seems like some problem centrally to me. Has anybody successfully used a gomo sim in Spain recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭r0chf0rt

For anyone in the same boat there is some change required on gomos side to get it to work. Once I got talking to the right person who contacted tech support they were able to get it working on the 3 sims in a couple of mins. The 3 sims are on different accounts and were bought at different times so whatever setting they changed doesn't look to be enabled by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭POBox19

Just spent 4 weeks in Spain with my GoMo, no problems, still €9.99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Couldn't make any calls in Finland last week, just a short "bip" when dialling, but the data worked reliably and hence Whatsapp ftw. Need to get myself a virtual sim from a local operator for the next time I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

My two kids are in Spain at the moment and initially had no problems with connection or data roaming, but as soon as they hit the 10GB limit that's where the problems started. I've spent hours this week trying to get hold of someone in GOMO to find out what the problem is and how to fix it, but no joy so far. The only support avenue I can see is via webchat and the staff there seem not very knowledgeable or indeed helpful. I've managed to get hold of them 5 times since Sunday and got 5 different excuses as to why it wasn't working. At the price it's hard to be too critical, but if they say there is an option to pay more when you go over the limit, they should provide the means to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Hi SH81722,

That is exactly the same issue I had in Sweden - the bip and no ability to make calls apart from through WhatsApp...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tilyons

I too have had problems roaming in my case in Northern Ireland. Was up there over the weekend for 4 days, traveling around. Had a roaming connection with EE for about 60mins in total. When I had no connection manually selecting a network failed with all providers. So most of the time I had no voice or data services.

Gomo later said there was nothing they could do!

Was up again all day yesterday for work driving to various locations, same story, I had about 20mins of service!

Now thinking it's time to switch to another provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I was in the USA last month. I’m currently on Vodafone . I had problems there. I was mostly getting missed call texts. Roaming isn’t a perfect art for any network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 mihalk

Data Roaming in Germany does not work with gomo.

This worked fine last year.

But Germany and other EU countries phased out 3G/umts at the end of 2021.

In Germany I am shown only 4G and 2G networks. This is on the same phone with the same SIM as last year.

If I join any 4G network e.g. "Telekom de 4G" this appears to work. But when you then check the current network it is in fact "Telekom.de 2G" (See picture)

Gomo know that their 3G roaming no longer works.

They are obliged to offer roaming under EU law.

I'd say this is a case for comreg and compensation.

See also article on same problem with 48.ie:https://www.msn.com/en-ie/money/news/48-says-no-data-roaming-in-parts-of-europe-until-september/ar-AAZd5Pe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Gomo worked fine for me in Germany.

USA was a ballache once youre over your data limit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭larchielads

Herself on hols in salou at min. Her texts work but data roaming she cant sort she has no toggle switch for data roaming. Samsung a20e. Will she be charged for receiving and sending calls and texts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kieran c

In Greece, with GoMo, I was unable to make outgoing calls to Greek number when on Vodafone GR or Cosmote (I was able to receive callls from a Greek number). When on "WIND" network I succeeded.

Pity GoMo didn't tell me about this at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ramonina

GoMo does not connect abroad you can't not receive or make calls when Romin in Europe they are braking the service arrangement they are charging customers for. I am one of the affected customer GoMo Sim will go on Emergency calls only. You might contact customer service by web chat only. They recommend you to request a new sim as a solution which make no sense if you are abroad. This has cause economic loss and distresses as I been without access to many other account to which my contact number its linked too. Germany and Poland.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I suggest you look at your setup on your phone. I’ve been with GoMo since launch and I’ve travelled to a number of European destinations and have never had a single issue with roaming, in most cases I get far greater speeds when roaming than I do at home.

Below is a speed test I did on 4G over in Liverpool last week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Similar for me, GoMo has worked without problems in the UK, France & Germany in the last year.

Worked fine for me in Morocco last week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Just a quick report on my experience and solution to roaming on gomo on iPhone 15 . I travel a lot in Germany and Spain but my EU data allowance is used up by day 3 or 4 of my trips.

To solve the problem I purchased an old iPhone 8 (unlocked) and a euro SIM card from Amazon. This sim has dedicated 100gb of data. When I arrive at destination country I switch on the iPhone 8 and use it for the duration of my holiday as a portable WiFi hotspot to my iPhone 15. The only downside is I’ve to carry two phones everywhere I go but it solves the roaming issue for me and I never miss phone calls to my personal phone or incur data shortages.

Still no data add on for the USA. So when you've used your 1GB data youre cut off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement