Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

They get privilege in the committee I believe.

She would have some neck going down a legal line to seek even more money off the tax payer. But who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Don't want to be questioned about their "exit package".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

I still dont get why you would pay someone 450K to leave. Surely there are less expensive options.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

That’s why they won’t answer any questions.

That’s why people should vote out the current government.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,129 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Meanwhile, Bakhurst also told the committee that he pulled ads for the TV licence from other broadcasting platforms as he thought it would be “inappropriate” to demand people to pay the fee in the middle of the RTE scandal.

Bakhurst said management were trying to do “everything we could” to re-establish trust with the Irish public.

Brendan Griffin, a Fine Gael TD, queried why RTÉ decided to pull advertising of the TV licence on channels outside its own platforms last July.

“Ultimately I made the decision for a number of reasons,” Bakhurst said.

“The main reason was because I thought that given what was emerging about RTÉ at that stage, and the constant scandal that was unfolding, I thought it would be inappropriate for us to be paying for adverts demanding people to pay the licence fee.”

This is just getting weirder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Tow

The Dail TV channel have yet to publish the recording of the committee meeting, while meetings later in the day are available.

EDIT

Found a link: https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/video-archive/committees/8997

Post edited by Tow on

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I have to disagree, I don't it's Gross incompetence, this is what happens when there is no accountability or repercussions for those at the top. Just look at how all those people listed in another post of this thread were able to walk away and not attend the committee. This is not just RTE, even though this RTE debacle is highlighting but this is rife across the public sector. Look at how untouchable the elite are and by that I mean Government ministers/TD's, their advisors and Sec Gens are and also how dismissively they all treat these committees. They all want the big wages but none of the responsibility. I hope everyone of them involved in this debacle is shunned by everyone in the country so much so that they don't want to step outside their doors or they have to move out of the country.

One of the many opportunities missed when the Trioka were here was a reform of our corporate laws to make Public servants more accountable and with dire consequences such as being arrested and tried for any wrong doing and not being let off like we see here with a sick note. This is what Helen McEntee should be working on and not the "hurty words" bill but none of the elite want this, yes politicians will pretend like they do that that they want transparency and accountability at all levels but we all know that this the furthest thing from their mind.

It's an agreed redundancy apparently. Presumably there was some tax liability though.

There should be a deep dive done on every single Public service company/department now and allow no resignations or retirements till it is complete and use auditors from outside of the state to do it. If anyone thinks that this was/is just going on in RTE then they need to take their heads out of the sand. If it was me I would be starting with the HSE and what is going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

But a redundancy is when the role is redundant. She was a CFO and presumably they just then hired another CFO. I see why they would tie themselves in knots trying to explain this one. You'd need to be paid circa 1M to get an after tax payment of 450K.

• Advertisement

• DCC and I’m sure other local authorities are rife with corruption in certain areas. This country is full of it.

Dunno. Bakhurst stated she was given the money to leave. They were looking for voluntary redundancies,maybe an underling got the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

Ive said it before.....they broke up FAS when it turned out they were a shower if chancers....why are they not doing the same with RTE?

Oh you can bet the whole system is rotten to the core. Sure just look at the latest D Hotel now closing its doors to become a refugee centre. Absolutely scandalous what is going on and yet anyone the exposes it it labelled a far right or some other character assassination is done. Those in power whether they are politicians, public servants or within that circle are riding us rotten and laughing at us.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Yes the country is full of it but can’t see Politicans going after local authorities unless forced into it. Local Authorities have had political “influence” on them in the past and digging that hornets nest might be a little close for comfort, no knowing what they would find out about party colleagues.

I expect the RTE public humiliation hearings to continue for some time as you can’t buy that level of publicity for the members holding court.

The sooner tv licence renewals falls off a cliff, the sooner Politicans will have to make a decision on RTE’s future funding. The 451k revelation might be the event to end the fence sitting in Dáil Éireann.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I thought it was very interesting the way he handled that question, because at first he approached it in the usual coached way deflecting to legal advice and holding back and then all of a sudden dropped the number. It wasn't exactly forensic questioning or force from Dillion that elicited the information either.

It seemed like he had been pondering letting the committee know and that it was an "oh **** it I'm telling them this, it was ridiculous carry on". It may well have been a challenge to O'Keefe to take them on, to call her legal bluff.

Coveneys package on the other hand was agreed by Bakhurst, so carries with it a good deal more political risk for him. It doesn't really wash that he could reveal one, but not the other but technically I guess they were different payments with one being the VES and the other a contract termination one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I'd imagine the shenanigans at RTE are a drop in the ocean compared to what goes on in the HSE. But no-one is ever going to touch that, too many people involved, i'd imagine 50%+ of the country knows someone at a desk job within that behomoth, and if anything ever tries to get done, it will be shut down almost immediately by "bUt PeOpLe WiLl dIe....."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,470 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Nothing weird about that.... its about not throwing petrol on a fire that was already raging.

As a management decision it's pragmatic and sensible from an RTE standpoint.

The license fee is not optional if you have the qualifying equipment to decode a signal.

Reminding people of their obligation under law is neither inappropriate or solely up to Bakhurst.

He engaged in a practice that may cost us all money.

It brings An Posts credibility into it too.

The law hasn't changed because RTE management are incompetent. And it's not a point you can argue if do find yourself in court.

It's an extremely weird situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭RoTelly

as I have said before on here, really An Post should be running those ads.

I don't think yesterdays performance will get people to buy the licence fee. Kevin B was almost word for word on the Dee Forbes interview with joe.ie on how they had to start impressing upon people the importance of RTÉ and the programming it delivers. And after that it was downhill for them.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭RoTelly

yes they should be looking at all Semi-states in same way, RTÉ is just the tip of the iceberg. But RTÉ makes it look like they are doing their job.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah I did think it was odd too. It's clear he has no time for O'Keefe but I wonder too whether Kevin is looking at an exit as well. He seemed to just blurt the figure out as if he has given up. Perhaps he was calling her bluff.

Coveney is a weasel and should be compelled to attend asap.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Like I said it's a pragmatic management decision by RTE.

Read the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

I see Michael Martin has had his say....got the jump on Leo.....political pressure might start to ramp up on her now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Tow

Then Brendan Griffin asked Eimear Cusack about the cost of the backdated bogus Employee's rights (Holiday, Maternity, Pension Pay etc.), Cusack looked straight away at Bakhurst. Bakhurst then have a waffley answer. It was obvious they had prepared for this question beforehand and Bakhurst was to answer it. You can be sure the cost will run into may millions. It is at ~3:55 in the recording.

Recording: https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/video-archive/committees/8997

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Administrators Posts: 53,797 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Richard Collins got the job.

Making a role redundant means the role is no longer required. If you make your CFO redundant and then immediately hire another CFO then the role was clearly not made redundant.

Redundancy payments are treated differently for tax purposes for the recipient, you can pay very little tax on them. Redundancy is a very specific thing with very specific rules.

A golden handshake is very different to redundancy, certainly as far as tax is concerned. You and your employer can come to an agreement where you will leave and get x amount of money for it, but you can't call it redundancy.

How can a company make the CFO position redundant? This is one of the most important roles in a company any company and usually the CFO is the last to leave and turn out the lights when a company folds. This is just a farce.

Apologies I didn't realise if you repeat something and bold it, it becomes infallible and invalidates all other opinion.

It's an extremely weird situation.

Do I win?

• Administrators Posts: 53,797 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea it's odd.

It's unclear though if she actually got formal redundancy or it was just a golden handshake payment.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately not.

Just read the post and stop putting your own spin on it.

Advertisement