Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone launches TV Play

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭raddo

Sorry for the long post but might help someone.

We have had Vodafone TV for several years. While it was a pain to get it turned on (refer to previous Vodafone TV thread), we were happy with, basic TV channels , easy to navigate and very little down time.

Our contract ended in January, and we were told that we could get the new Vodafone TV Play Box with 1 Gig Broadband for €65. Happy with that so signed up.

That was on the 19th January. Was told that the box would be sent out by courier asap. Waited over a week and no sign of box.

Contacted them on 30th January, only to be told that the order had been cancelled, they didn’t know why. Re-ordered it again, box arrived on Thursday, 1st February.

Hooked it up but got an error message saying that it couldn’t find my account. Contacted Vodafone on Twitter and rang them numerous times. Was told to keep using the older box until I was contacted to say that my account was linked to the new box.

Kept messaging them on Twitter to remind them but nothing, then Tuesday evening old box stopped working. Connected new Play box and it worked, no contact from them.

Onto the Vodafone Play TV box; first impressions it seems fine for what we use it for.

Pro’s

Seems to be more channels with the Restart Programme option.

Quick access buttons, Disney +, Prime Video etc and Netflix button works, unlike previous box.

RTE and VM Player seem to be better and addition of TG4 Player is a plus.

Option to install “other” apps on the box may have its advantages down the line.

Con’s

No recording on certain channels as other posters have mentioned.

Remote seems to only turn off box, doesn’t seem to be an option to setup TV control.

In the TV Guide the preview screen seems to cover up a large portion of the EPG.

While the sound from the box is good, there seems to be a slight delay in the dubbing.

When you select another HDMI input on the TV, the sound still keeps playing from the Play TV box. The box has to be turned off to watch another HDMI.

The above two items are why I’ve selected to use the TV sound output thus making one of their selling points redundant.

I’ll keep using it and just hope that I don’t have to contact customer service, as that really seems to be Vodafone’s biggest downfall.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm having the same issue you had with the box not working it's been almost 5 weeks now, but judging the negatives I think I'm happy to use the old box. Hopefully they will forget to switch me over.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pissedasanewt

Fairly pee'd off with Vodafone. I signed up to the service when a guy called to the door. After I found out i couldnt record on most channels I contacted support. I was told it was a copyright issue and would be resolved soon. Had the box a few months and when I rang back there I was told its not a copyright issue. No recording on any good channels period. Now its to late to cancel the contract as its past 30 days.

I've also had a lot of issues with the box itself, it crashes about once a night and i've to basically plug out the tv play box or the sound is out of sync with the picture and i've to restart the program is its a streaming service.

I only switched to Vodafone as virgin media couldn't get their act together with regard to upgrading the internet, but i'll be ditching vodafone tv as soon as this contract is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ended up with EIR TV after my earlier post above and advice provided subsequently. Had it just over a month now.

The broadbad does what it said on the tin and the way they have the TV service setup has allowed me to use the whole thing would needed to use the ISP's router/modem so I use my own.

The TV service has been very good. Had a couple of issues resetting an apple account password that I haven't used in years in order to install apps but thats not Eirs fault. Got that sorted. Installed a few of the players, Amazon Prime etc and signed up for their free year.

All working fine. The recording works well on the channels you can record on, and the players are pretty good. Only issue really is having to watch adds (my OH uses the device, not me, but she has gotten used to this)

So far a decent service with no real issues etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billgibney

At the moment I still have the sky plus box and only use have it for the no fuss recording abilities

My wife likes the soaps and records them to watch when she's home.

I cancelled the sky and was on my 30 days notice when they offered me a deal of 22 a month for a year so I stayed.

I'm looking for an alternative atm for next year and the nearest one I can see is ibox, this gives me all the free to air channels for a tenner a month, no recording ability but a 7 day playback so it does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Peshy101

Mine arrived today and it’s already going back.

No idea who designed this thing but it’s useless. Firstly, you can’t use with external speakers such as Sonos. You have to use the inbuilt speaker which is NEVER happening. The built in speaker is terrible.

Secondly, absolutely rubbish channels compared to Sky who, for €25 (cheaper than Vodafone) include Sky Entertainment channels as well as the basic ones, Netflix and Discovery+.

The lady at Vodafone didn’t seem at all surprised that I wanted to cancel. I guess lots of people are returning theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They should spend less money on advertising, and more money on resolving the issues. I don't think anyone is happy with this product.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭shoehorn

Same problem here.

Got the new Vodafone Tv box because I renewed contract. Old box doesn't work. New one is terrible (lack of recording, bad menu, remote , sound).

Thinking of switching. Maybe to Eir.

Eir says it allows recording of all except RTÉ and VM so looks like a good bet (I record a lot on BBC). Does it allow fast forward when re-starting a programme? I notice that new vodafone box was blocking that.

What are thoughts on Eir TV usability in general?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Eir TV uses Apple TV 4K+ box. It is definitely the best of the streaming Pucks from any of the providers in Ireland. Recording of BBC is unrestricted - and yes - you can fast-forward after re-starting. The Apple box has good audio options for connecting speakers, and it also offers SIRI voice recognition for commands such as changing programmes. Eir bundle in Amazon Prime Video into their bundle. At €9.99pm it is also excellent value. Eir don't advertise this - but you can do Multi-room with no extra monthly fee if you buy your own additional Apple TV pucks outright. Eir even sell reconditioned Pucks for €59.99 on their eir Store site. Just load the Eir TV app on your Apple TV pucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭shoehorn

thanks for the advice.

Do you, or anyone, know if there's still a downtime between switching broadband providers these days? Last time I had to do it, I was 2 weeks without internet - the new provider couldn't allocate the UAN to their system or book an installer, until the previous provider had released it (cut me off). A real pain. I would hope it becomes as seamless as changing energy providers. Has that day arrived yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

Hi we just connected Vodafone tv play today and we are already gutted, I love spy master on abc 4 and it looked like I had recorded it earlier today but then when I went to look at it tonight it was not recorded, will they let us go back to the box we had yesterday where we were able record our favourite programmes and the guide was much easier to navigate. what is the point of this tv play if you can't record your favourite programmes, what a load of old rubbish that is. I am zero interest in virgin media and other terrible channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

The Vodafone TV streaming product is terrible. I doubt that that they will let you go back to the old box. Even if they do, it will be grandfathered at some stage. All the TV providers are trying to migrate users to streaming pucks, because they get better control of the advertising revenue. The Eir TV streaming option uses the Apple TV 4K puck, and it is the best of the streaming platforms. It allows unrestricted recording of UK TV channels, and some additional catch-up options, which work for RTE. RTE don't allow cloud recording on any of the streaming platforms, so they retain the advertising revenue, but at least the RTE player is available in Ireland, unlike BBC iPlayer. Perhaps you could cancel within your 14 days, and migrate to Eir TV?

Thanks so much for that useful information, we had absolutely no idea that this was going to happen, I feel awful as I made my husband change over yesterday when I was at work, thinking I was going to get this great service, now he worried he won't be able to record his programmes going forward, we are a busy household and only get to watch things late at night so recording is a big thing in our lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭galtee boy

If recording is a big issue for you and it is for a lot of households who are busy during the week and record stuff and watch it at their own convenience, Sky is the only option really, you can record any channel, any time and keep the recording for as long as you want, Sky is expensive, but it does exactly what it says on the tin.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That’s true of Sky Q, but not Stream, which does have restrictions on recording.

Note that while Sky Q is still available it’s buried away on the website now in favour of Stream/Glass. I don’t want to be alarmist but I could see new satellite installations being restricted to commercial premises and rural customers before too long - it’s Sky’s plan to cut down on their installer numbers.

Your other options for recording are Saorview/Freesat of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 thomas353

Is it worth getting Nord VPN on the google play store from my vodafone play tv box? i'd like to be able to record English programmes and maybe some other English TV.

There is no discussion of circumventing regional restrictions here.

48 Hour ban for any on thread reply to either this post or the post above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭billbond4

Quick question can you plug the "old" vodafone tv into any internet connection point ?
    (or it is tied to your router)
    Just thinking can I bring it to another house for a few weeks
    Thanks

Hi sorry if this has been asked before but just wondering, if I want to play music from my Apple Music app on my smart tv how do I get the sound to go through the Vodafone B and O speaker. Currently when I turn up the volume on the Vodafone B and O remote the tv channel sound comes through and the only way I hear the music is through the Samsung speaker with the Samsung remote. Sorry if comes across as me being a bit stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billgibney

No wonder people are leaving boards in droves,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It doesn’t and we might not give that post any more time of day.

Advertisement