Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

Salanoa will be the next one to be moved on...Knox and Salanoa really havnt worked out at all. We might find ourselves very light in front rows next year. Rumours Killer might be heading off aswell, one last big pay check before retiring.

• Hard to say Salanoa didn't work out. Played in 5 Champions Cup fixtures last season, along with appearances in the 3 knockout games in the URC. He played nearly 3 times as much minutes last season as he had in the rest of his career. Started 9 games, having never started a game before last season.

He's contracted for next season, if he can get back on the pitch for the start of next season, he'll be offered an extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

This is his 4th season and he's played 30 times for us.

• That wouldn't bother me, more than half of his appearances came last season alone. A latecomer to rugby, in the front row is always going to be a slowburner

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's hard to see where exactly Kilcoyne would earn that big paycheque. Any team that could afford to pay him well and want to do so would expect 20+ games a season out of him. He's one of those players I'd like to see have one last crack at top-level rugby all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Salanoa is an obviously good player when fit. He is just injured alot which in rugby there is a large tolerance for as long as you are mostly fit the year you negotiate your contract.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Strong team for Scarlets. First appearances of the season for Haley and Snyman.

Munster: Mike Haley; Seán O’Brien, Antoine Frisch, Alex Nankivell; Shane Daly; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Jeremy Loughman, Niall Scannell, Oli Jager; Tom Ahern, RG Snyman; Ruadhán Quinn, Alex Kendellen (C), Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Eoghan Clarke, Josh Wycherley, John Ryan, Fineen Wycherley, Jack O’Sullivan, Ethan Coughlan, Rory Scannell, Shay McCarthy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Strong team, hopefully enough to get the win. Great to see Quinn getting the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Needs a bp win realistically. Were a bit behind after the injurys id like 4 bp wins before europe to take the pressure off a bit on the sa tour/interpro/Edinburgh end to the league

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Ahern back too, which is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

If RG lifts Ahern in the lineout, should the hooker just throw it to the moon

Post edited by phog on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is that the tallest 2nd row pairing in the league?

• Delighted to see Haley back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Is Butler injured? Still a strong team. Very happy to see O'Sullivan and Quinn. I reckon 5 points are in the bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Might be time to try a new type of box-kick-lineout

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Good team, I think 7 could be Kendellen's position and one where we're light. He should hopefully get a run at it while Hodnett is out and we'll see how he goes. Delighted Haley is back too. Such a shame he's not after getting the call up, he's the next best 15 in Ireland behind Keenan for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

As good as Haley has been, he’s only just back from half a season off with a hip injury which required an operation, so he was never going to get a call up.

I think Jack O’Sullivan would make a better 7 than Kendellen. Ideally a 7 should have a burst of speed, not sure Kendellen has that. Kendellen for me is a hybrid 7/8. Not bulky enough for an 8 but not speedy enough for a 7. He is more use as a squad player, don’t really see him as a starter when other options are available.

Yeah, I meant it's a pity in terms of he got injured, didn't phrase that clear enough.

I'd agree on Kendellen, he's still young though. The fact he's captained virtually every team he's played for á la POM leads me to believe I wouldn't write him off just yet but back row is so well stacked at Munster he definitely has to up his game. I could see him in the JOD role going forward where he'll provide cover across the back row and potential captain for URC games also when needed

Agree with you, IMO Haley normally would well worth having in a six nations camp as direct backup to Keenan. It's debatable whether Jimmy O'Brien should be ahead of him if they were all fit. I personally think a player playing in a position regularly is a better replacement than a player that moves between positions or benches a lot. Suppose it's a call for the selectors, O'Brien (or Larmour) probably is a bit pacier than Haley, maybe that's why Haley hasn't been in many squads.

Selecting our best second row and back row and bench (given injuries to Kleyn, Edogbo and O'Donoghue) for the knockout matches I think could be like this:

4 Beirne, 5 Snyman,

6 O'Mahony, 8 Coombes, 7 Hodnett (assuming finger injury won't take too much longer to recover from)

19 Ahern, 20 O'Sullivan/Kendellen (I can't decide between them, leaning towards O'Sullivan and he is class when fit but often injured, Kendellen is abrasive but maybe not as speedy).

Edogbo is a huge loss, he was equal to or outperforming Joe McCarthy in a number of areas on that stats site I posted about before. Hope he gets back to his best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭50HX

Are the stats on edogbo v joe mc based on minutes played?

Edogbo is a big loss for us but to me he always looked out of gas after 55/60mins v joe mc who is looks like he could go 100mins

Interesting to see if the stats support my uneducated view or not😁

Just trying to find info on Edwin Edogbo's injury, and found some articles have said he ruptured his left a couple of years ago, and injured his right but without requiring surgery, and now has ruptured his right? So maybe that previous injury to his right Achilles hadn't completely healed, and putting a positive slant on it, maybe with both Achilles tendons surgically repaired he might be in a better way for the long run.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

Similar minutes played (EDIT: I didn't check being subbed/over how many games so maybe EO is getting subbed off early in many games?). Joe with better workrate in terms of tackles made/dominance? Edogbo fares similar or better elsewhere by my reading of it e.g. groundwork, ruck effectiveness, overall attack? These are probably rudimentary enough stats but I think it does add weight to what I was saying.

The fitness thing - I've wondered is this a sort of similar thing to Damien Duff... the way he physically carried himself on a pitch would make you think he was always knackered. Edogbo carries himself in that sort of way lumbering about the place but I don't know is there much to the fitness thing... maybe there is and I'm wrong, but I'm not sure it's borne out too much by workrate from what I can see. He's hitting 50% more attacking rucks than McCarthy, but on the other hand hitting a chunk less defensively... but being twice as effective in what he rucks he does hit. Make of that what you will!

Look, they're both very promising players with impressive numbers, I just thought it interesting when you look at the latest data how they compared....certainly when you see the hype being generated around McCarthy this season. Edogbo is a year and 9 months younger than McCarthy. Keep both fit and they'll duke it out for the green jersey for the next while along with whatever other incumbents, McCarthy has the headstart now so it'll be up to Edogbo to overtake him. It's just a shame the injury happened when it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭50HX

Interesting stats @leakyboots, yeah the injury is a real pity but fingers crossed he comes from it.

The workrate at attack& defensive work I think can be looked at another way & that is what direction are you given by coaches

I bet ringrose has a higher percentage of missed tackles due to the speed he shoots the line at but he is allowed leeway on this

Like you said here's hoping they are both ripping it up provencially to have at for the green jersey then

Yeah they only tell part of the story, agreed! Don't get me going on Ringrose...!!!

Hate to see any player getting injuried but particularly young promising ones who've barely had a chance to show their stuff

Nice maul defence from Aherne

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Marauding land-kracken back with some offloading mayhem straight off the bat.

Coombes, who else. He's virtually unstoppable from 5m out. Joey kicking well from hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Ref has a cut of Dougal off him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Advertisement